Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 29, 2015 2:16 PM

Jul 2014
Wow what a show! What did you guys think?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 29, 2015 7:19 PM
Jan 2015
Well this was definitely different than I was expecting it to be. My initial thoughts were that they would have to get beyond the well, that the Haibane Renmei was an organization with some kind of nefarious underlying intent (they are kinda evil looking) and that they were keeping the people of the town and the Haibane cut off from the real world.

Turns out that none of these questions about the world really get answer, and that's ok. The world that's introduced and the logistics of its existence are not really the focus of the show. The environment was just a vehicle to show the relationships between characters. I thought the characters in Haibane were pretty effective and I was particularly impressed with the last episode. Everything felt like it was wrapped up really nicely and Reki's last moments of despair had a lot of emotional impact.

This isn't to say that I'm not curious about the world. There are still a lot of questions to ask, like where the Haibane come from and why, what's beyond the walls, etc, but I'm satisfied not knowing the answers because the show never pretended that that was what was most important. The characters themselves don't understand a lot about their world and manage to find happiness, which I think keeps the ending satisfying.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Banner

Star-Dazzle - Jan 4, 2018

0 by Star-Dazzle »»
Jan 4, 2018 1:32 PM

» New Life In An Old Club?

Temporarity - Mar 16, 2017

0 by Temporarity »»
Mar 16, 2017 1:40 PM

» Rewatches?

PenguinsRTheory - Oct 28, 2015

1 by doolbie »»
Oct 28, 2015 1:46 PM

» Haibane Renmei Discussion Episodes 9-10

doolbie - Sep 27, 2015

0 by doolbie »»
Sep 27, 2015 8:27 PM

» Haibane Renmei Discussion Episodes 7-8

doolbie - Sep 25, 2015

2 by RealMagazzer »»
Sep 26, 2015 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.