Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 26, 2009 12:07 PM

Aug 2007
I've personally read a two volume english language collection consisting of seven chapters detailing the adventures of Kamui in a community of fishermen (which he eventually leaves). It was published by Viz Comics under the title of 'The Legend of Kamui'. After the two volumes the manga comes to a definite end, suggesting that these two volumes are really just all there is from this series. However, this is not the main story of Kamui (which is much longer), but rather a side story.
The sparse information I've been able to find about the several Kamui manga is on the everything website.
I am kinda confused about the information on that site, because it claims there were two volumes published in english (as well as in german), taking place in a fishermen's community. So far so good, because that description perfectly fits what I've read.
But then the author goes on to claim the two volumes were taken from the 'Kamui gaiden 2' series.
In the information about the several manga from the 'Kamui' universe mentioned above however, there is a 'Kamui Gaiden' and a 'Kamui Gaiden Dai 2 Bu' but not a 'Kamui Gaiden 2'.
Dai 2 Bu apparently just stands for 'part 2', so that could be the series the author of the everything article meant.
'Kamui Gaiden Dai 2 Bu' consists of twelve volumes however, not of two, while 'Kamui Gaiden' does. So from that point of view the translated works should be from the 'Kamui Gaiden' series.
But to make the confusion even worse, the article states that Goseki Kojima did the artwork for 'Kamui Gaiden Dai 2 Bu'. Now I can clearly see that the english 'The legend of kamui' that I've read, has been drawn by Goseki Kojima.
Before the list detailing the different 'Kamui' manga, the author of the article seems to suggest that Goskei Kojima did work on other manga from the Kamui universe besides 'Kamui Gaiden Dai 2 Bu'. This means it is possible that Kojima also drew the 'Kojima Gaiden' manga.
I hope everyone was able to follow this rather confusing story, and maybe even be able to help me out with some more detailed information about this and other manga from the 'Kamui' universe
Jul 1, 2009 2:11 PM

Aug 2007
When I first saw the artwork I instantly thought "wow, it's definitely Goseki Kojima!!!"
No I really couldn't imagine there's another artist with a style so similar. Yet, that english edition from Viz really does say that both story and artwork by Sanpei Shirato.
Dunno what to think... it's all so confusing.
But maybe it's the truth and the guy really has a very similar drawing style to Goseki Kojima. Guess the only way to find out is to check his other works...
Jul 7, 2010 11:00 AM

Aug 2007
Here's some more information on the Legend of Kamui series as well as a review of "Ninpu Kamui gaiden", it's a pretty interesting read..

http://www.genjipress.com/2006/10/the-legend-of-kamui-sanpei-shi.html

Also interesting is this thread on the Dark Horse forum.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Help/Boards/viewtopic.php?t=15718&sid=40162537a6ec560641884f056dff5c03

The story-arch from Ninpu kamui gaiden was apparently serialized by a publishing company called Eclipse before Viz published the same arch in the two-volume "The legend of kamui: Perfect Collection", in 13 32-page comicbooks. Eclipse published another story arch from the series (called 'The Sword Wind') in the same format the story of Ninpu Kamui gaiden was published (continuing the story).

The cover from one of the Eclipse comicbooks can be seen on this webpage:

http://vintageninja.net/?tag=kamui
lichtetredJul 7, 2010 12:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.