Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 8, 2008 5:04 PM
May 2008
Ah good idea to post this video. I've seen it already, but it's really interesting. I mean Greg Ayres pretty much counters every single reason to watch fansubs in this video.
PredeNov 12, 2008 8:03 PM
Nov 10, 2008 1:46 PM

Jun 2008
While I Don't mind and actually respect what he does, I think Ayres is taking his way of handling the anime industry and fansubs the wrong way. My only real problem with him is that his views are more directed as "If fansubs are gone, there would be no problems at all. Consequently, we should remove fansubs." This thought process is pretty bad actually. For starters, trying to get rid of fansubbing in it's entirety via legal methods would break the industry's piggy bank faster than fansubs would. Also, there are ways that fansubs have helped aid the anime industry. I think what his panel should focus on (which they look at, sorta, but they just kinda glaize over in comparison to their other stuff) is how we can use fansubs and reverse their effects on the industry and actually help make the industry grow.

If I can find that one video on ANN of the industry workers meeting up with the fansubbers from (If I'm remembering right) Live-Evil, Dattebayo and Shinsen, I'll edit my post and throw it in here. It shows pretty well what I mean.
Dec 6, 2008 4:50 PM

Sep 2007
conankudo4 said:

If I can find that one video on ANN of the industry workers meeting up with the fansubbers from (If I'm remembering right) Live-Evil, Dattebayo and Shinsen, I'll edit my post and throw it in here. It shows pretty well what I mean.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2008/fansubs-and-industry-panel
I think this is the video you are looking for.
SSAA Podcast<-A show about things involving stuff, mainly about anime, dramas and whatever comes to mind.

Follow me on Twitter

Feb 7, 2009 7:17 PM

Oct 2007
yah I was at this convention once and there was a panel with Greg Ayres and he took off his jacket to reveal he was wearing a shirt that said in big letters "FANSUBBING KILLS ANIME"

Feb 10, 2009 8:33 PM

Jan 2009
That is very interesting the fansubs debate will go on till the end of time. The only question I have is why anime box sets are so expensive?
Feb 10, 2009 9:20 PM

Feb 2009
Well, there's always the option of buying used anime. There's a chain of stores called Vintage Stock that sells lots of used stuff, including anime located in Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas, Kansas, and Arkansas, but that's about it.
May 23, 2009 10:11 PM

Aug 2008
conankudo4 said:
While I Don't mind and actually respect what he does, I think Ayres is taking his way of handling the anime industry and fansubs the wrong way. My only real problem with him is that his views are more directed as "If fansubs are gone, there would be no problems at all. Consequently, we should remove fansubs." This thought process is pretty bad actually. For starters, trying to get rid of fansubbing in it's entirety via legal methods would break the industry's piggy bank faster than fansubs would. Also, there are ways that fansubs have helped aid the anime industry. I think what his panel should focus on (which they look at, sorta, but they just kinda glaize over in comparison to their other stuff) is how we can use fansubs and reverse their effects on the industry and actually help make the industry grow.

you know that actually makes sense
with great power comes greater acts of ass kickery
May 24, 2009 12:10 PM

Oct 2008
rpgdiva said:
That is very interesting the fansubs debate will go on till the end of time. The only question I have is why anime box sets are so expensive?

Actually the thing is anime dvds aren't really that expensive. First of all box sets featuring 13 episodes a couple of promos and a special feature like "behind the scenes, production art, an episode worth of audio commentary, etc," for roughly $50. A vhs tape of an anime dvd back in the day from what I heard is about the same amount as a dvd box set, but with no extras and only 3-4 episodes. And the Japanese have it worse! If you ask them "how much is a box set," in Japanese, they will say "Box set? I know no box set! What's a box set?" A dvd to them featuring 2-3 episodes with no extras would cost about $50-60.

Now if you're referring to how anime dvds or box sets are about $10-30 more expensive than a season box set of your favorite primetime show, well I can simply months worth of research and theorizing into 4 syllables: "They sold better." They sold better because they were on primetime television, which costs a LOT to get anything on television, let alone primetime. And they were shows that anyone could get into if they don't change the channel. There would be "game shows involving gambling in a trivia playing way, or medical drama, or good cop, bad, anti-hero cop, or sitcoms laughing at domestic/cultural/pop-cultural references or stereotypes.

People ALWAYS love to see that stuff, thus the box sets based on shows like that would guarantee a cheaper price because demand would likely be greater than the supply.
May 28, 2009 4:34 PM

Sep 2007
You have the right idea, but that doesn't really make sense. You are comparing apples and grapefruits here. The reason your primetime series is cheaper is because the audience is exponentially larger than the anime audience. Heck, it may even include some of the anime audience. Its supply and demand. If there are less people to buy your anime, the cost will be higher to cover the cost of producing it. That's at least what I think.
SSAA Podcast<-A show about things involving stuff, mainly about anime, dramas and whatever comes to mind.

Follow me on Twitter

May 28, 2009 5:41 PM

Oct 2008
doctor said:
You have the right idea, but that doesn't really make sense. You are comparing apples and grapefruits here. The reason your primetime series is cheaper is because the audience is exponentially larger than the anime audience. Heck, it may even include some of the anime audience. Its supply and demand. If there are less people to buy your anime, the cost will be higher to cover the cost of producing it. That's at least what I think.

Oh yeah, that was what I actually was referring to. Sorry if for any reason it didn't seem to come out into context that way, but yeah like you said, that's exactly why those primetime shows dvds sold better. It was because that audience was much bigger than the anime audience. There are primetime shows that even anime fans can get into. I've been into anime since 1997 yet I've been hooked on House, American Idol, and Supernanny (yeah.... I'm a very weird person).

And I actually focus on the "supply and demand" concept, which is funny since I was never a big fan of economics. I even expressed that concept once on the "what are your thoughts on piracy" thread. Though I erased some of my recent statements as soon as I got replies because those people act too judgemental for their own good. Greg yres was right, "forums are nothing but drama club."
Oct 2, 2009 8:19 AM

Jul 2008
i love to bay anime but
- it vere rery where i live
- it hard to bay onlinr where i live
- most dub use stupid voice and chinge same lines
- lots of anime didn't be dub to USA, and let me say it "USA search for action and echhi only" no good story anime.
- go to amazon lots of good anime have no stuk and will not have.
- bay anime from japan cost over 500$ here.
- the DVD have 4-5 epsode and cost 25$ that 5$ for epsode."remember that things for kids orginaly kids can't pay that mach, not normal kids USA kids are Super rich"
- No calsic
- i must wite for 2-3 year to get the dub anime.
- FMP and others anime talk about poltic have majir ching, sagara was from afganistan.
- to mach cut and cuts.
- i heat to pay money for USA if i must bay ill take jap-DVD with subtitle.
- oh did i say to mach, what about anime that can't be find, rare anime that made only once.

if you want me to pay what you have you wrong ill take what i want.

WE ARE ANIME
and 99% of mal downloader
Oct 2, 2009 4:59 PM

Oct 2008
almozayaf said:
i love to bay anime but
- it vere rery where i live
- it hard to bay onlinr where i live
- most dub use stupid voice and chinge same lines
- lots of anime didn't be dub to USA, and let me say it "USA search for action and echhi only" no good story anime.
- go to amazon lots of good anime have no stuk and will not have.
- bay anime from japan cost over 500$ here.
- the DVD have 4-5 epsode and cost 25$ that 5$ for epsode."remember that things for kids orginaly kids can't pay that mach, not normal kids USA kids are Super rich"
- No calsic
- i must wite for 2-3 year to get the dub anime.
- FMP and others anime talk about poltic have majir ching, sagara was from afganistan.
- to mach cut and cuts.
- i heat to pay money for USA if i must bay ill take jap-DVD with subtitle.
- oh did i say to mach, what about anime that can't be find, rare anime that made only once.

if you want me to pay what you have you wrong ill take what i want.

WE ARE ANIME
and 99% of mal downloader

I'm sorry, but I didn't understand what you just typed AT ALL!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» rightstuf.com

alchemist2113 - Mar 19, 2013

1 by heartpunch »»
Nov 3, 2013 8:01 AM

» Goodbay Club

almozayaf - Oct 15, 2011

0 by almozayaf »»
Oct 15, 2011 12:07 PM

» Where to Legally Watch Anime Online

Thorn_Pilgrim - May 27, 2010

2 by Hypeathon »»
Sep 29, 2010 1:57 PM

» Leading the whole &quot;Save the Anime Industry&quot; by example idea

Hypeathon - May 8, 2009

1 by coolcat »»
Sep 29, 2010 1:49 PM

» i have few qution to all member of these club

almozayaf - Oct 2, 2009

5 by coolcat »»
Sep 29, 2010 1:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.