Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 24, 2009 7:49 AM

Jun 2008
AnimeCollector 9.1 beta is out!

"Standing near the just erected milestone, thinking: that was a long journey.."

So the beta is out. It really is beta -- meaning it works. You can manage your anime lists off-line, update them and sync with the MyAnimeList server. It even has a limited support for tracking your currently played files (this one is still a bit experimental). And it works most of the time. It most probably won't eat your data. There are still a lot of bugs though.

So whats new?

• An improved user interface. You can now edit episodes, status and score by clicking slowly two times on an entry in the list at the appropriate place. (don't double click, does not trigger the edit)
  • The MyAnimeList synchronization system is working like a charm (unlike the ui). It will do clean database sync based on the modification time-stamp issued by the application and by the mal system too (thanks Xinil for adding this entry).
  • Playing tracker. Actually this is the most shaky part right now. The integration in the UI is quite messy, but it works at times (at least it does for me.) It only works on your currently watching list now, and only if you are watching the next episode in comparison to the list, and only if it is not the last episode -- it has improvement potential -.- (you can enable it in the edit menu for testing or in the preferences menu for startup)
  • Configuration and preferences panel work nice. You have to open the preferences and enter your mal username and password to perform a sync.
  • Configuration and data are now created and stored in your home directory to not bug the developers and make the app installable. Check ~/.animecollcetor/ac.(cfg|dat).
  • Python conform installation routine. Check README for install instructions. Bascially python setup.py build && sudo python setup.py install
  • New version numbering: <year>.<release>.[<patch>][-<status>]
  • Complete rewrite of the code base with a portable, documented and maintainable design.

Thanks to Necrotex for developing the recognizing engine. The rest was done by me based on the work by Lattywire (sill inactive).

Download tar.gz is in the download section.

If you try the AnimeCollector beta, please use the GitHub issue tracker to point out bugs. Developers fixing said bugs and porting the application are welcome.
skriticosApr 24, 2009 8:30 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 24, 2009 8:22 AM
Apr 2008
Hell yeah! Just a little notice: It works also on Windows (I've didn't have much time to test it but it starts up :D). All you need is PyGTK, PyGObject and PyCario (you can get it all here) and of course Python.

Find some bugs and report them :D.

- N
NecrotexApr 24, 2009 8:35 AM
Apr 24, 2009 10:24 AM

Jul 2007
PyGTK, PyGObject and PyCario fail to install, saying Python 2.5/6 was not found in the registry (I installed it)
Apr 24, 2009 10:29 AM
Apr 2008
Hmm, What's your Python version?
Apr 24, 2009 10:32 AM

Jul 2007
nm, got that sorted now, but it won't work:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Hatsumi\Desktop\animecollector-9.1-beta\releases\animecollector
\animecollector.py", line 8, in <module>
import os, sys, Queue, pickle, webbrowser, \
File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\gtk-2.0\gtk\__init__.py", line 38, in <mod
ule>
import gobject as _gobject
File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\gtk-2.0\gobject\__init__.py", line 30, in
<module>
from gobject.constants import *
File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\gtk-2.0\gobject\constants.py", line 22, in
<module>
from _gobject import type_from_name
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

C:\Users\Hatsumi\Desktop\animecollector-9.1-beta\releases\animecollector>
Apr 24, 2009 10:33 AM
Apr 2008
Ok. forget what Im said xD.Try reinstalling pyglobs.
NecrotexApr 24, 2009 10:37 AM
Apr 24, 2009 10:38 AM
Apr 24, 2009 10:40 AM
Apr 2008
Sry for the typo, I mean PyGObject.
Apr 24, 2009 10:43 AM
Apr 24, 2009 10:48 AM
Apr 2008
Ok, I searched a bit. Looks like, some thing went wrong during the install of python itself. Try uninstalling all and reinstalling (first Python, 2. pyGTK and then the rest).
Apr 24, 2009 12:58 PM
Apr 2009
Great project! Got it working on OS X without too much hassle, using the Python MacPorts. Don't think I'll use it, though, 'cause X11 is generally ugly ^^;

Of course tracking doesn't work, but what you may not know is that even bin/ps requires different arguments...

I made a proof of concept implementation of lsof tracking, and it works fine, but isn't in Python. Sorry.

BTW one tab is labelled Droped (sic) and you don't decode named entities (&apos;) in series titles.
Apr 24, 2009 1:23 PM

Jun 2008
Thanks. Well, seems it's even more cross platform than I thought. That's good.

The typo, ups.. my bad -.- Will get corrected :) The HTML character encodings were slipping my mind a bit. Hm, you are right. There are one or two, but only a few. Will put it on the schedule. Thanks for pointing it out. Unicode is handled fine, but apostrophes are encoded as HTML, makes life more interesting..

I put up the GTK looks now because it is portable and because GNOME uses it as widget set, but the whole architecture is designed in a pluggable way, and maybe someone will develop a wx front-end some time so it will look more native on other platforms too.

I was just pushing a bit to get the core things done and release a beta to establish a good development basis for interested people. It's supposed to be a community project ^^

Thanks for taking time and testing it on Mac OS X, I'm quite happy about it :D About the tracker, well yes, as you saw it stand in the README, that it is quite platform dependent by nature. An lsof version would probably make it seamlessly portable to Mac, but that's still an idea I had in a little design brainstorming a few days ago. We'll see if someone wants to do it or not. The windows port would also need a similar tool to lsof, and I found one called handle, but as I neither own a Mac nor a Windows machine (no, don't want to), so this task will be given to other community members :)

The tracker and recognizing engine are experimental anyway, so until they don't get more elaborate it is only of limited interest to port it. Think this will improve shortly.

@Kotori: Thanks for interest. Was not interfering in the Windows discussion because of the above mentioned reasons. If someone makes a port, then there will be one, but that's still in the future. Right now it seems that the interface and synchronization can be loaded with a lot of fiddling, but it was not the major target so far. Getting out the beta in a somewhat consistent state was.
skriticosApr 24, 2009 1:28 PM
Apr 24, 2009 1:46 PM
Apr 2008
Ok, now I get the same error as Kotori but on another computer then earlier. Tomorrow Im goning to have a look at the difference between these two mashines and post how to get it working. So stay tuned :D
Apr 24, 2009 2:15 PM
Apr 2009
skriticos said:
I was just pushing a bit to get the core things done and release a beta to establish a good development basis for interested people. It's supposed to be a community project

Don't worry, I have yet to see a single cross-platform GUI that doesn't suck :D

I'd like to help, but as a hobbyist never found Python worthy of attention. Can you recommend a book that is fun to read?
Apr 24, 2009 2:47 PM

Jun 2008
Hehe, yea - that is my experience too.

Hm, I have a lot of technical books (programming languages, cg and os-es), but none of them happens to be about python. Bit ironic, I know. Only got into python a few months ago myself and it's fun to code with, though it also has it's issues, as everything has. As for books, there are the O'Reilly books, but none of them got astonishing reviews for python.

For starters, there is of course the The Python Tutorial which is quite well done and covers most of the syntax, program flow and standard library with nice examples.

What I was enjoying was watching the Google TechTalks videos about Python form core developers explaining more advanced topics and this one about the design philosophy of python.

Reading the reviews on Amazon is always a good idea for this kind of stuff.

Edit: I correct myself, I have a python book, but it is actually about Zope 3 (Web Component Development with Zope 3) which is a web application server framework built with python -- incredibly powerful, ugly and totally lacks good documentation. Most of the other libraries have quite good documentation on the web and where not, there is mostly no good book either. That's why it is a good idea to stay close with the standard library: it's supported, powerful, well documented and portable.
skriticosApr 24, 2009 3:00 PM
Apr 24, 2009 2:52 PM
Apr 2008
"A byte of Python" is also a good start ^^
Apr 24, 2009 3:11 PM
Apr 2009
skriticos said:
there are the O'Reilly books, but none of them got astonishing reviews for python.

The usual kind doesn't get you very far, because they only tell how to use a language, not understand it. I love books like the Ruby Pick Axe, Neuburg's AppleScript, or JavaScript Good Parts. Read them for fun, as my job doesn't have to do with programming. So thanks for the video links!

which is a web application server framework built with python

I installed Zope in 1999, because it was touted as cool technology, but didn't find a use for it and had no further contact with Python for a few years ^^
Apr 24, 2009 3:37 PM

Apr 2007
Thanks for the beta. Trying it now.
Is the data suppose to synchronize automatically when i make a change in AC or I should press "Synchronize" every time?
Apr 24, 2009 3:46 PM

Jun 2008
For the time being synchronization is only manual and on startup. Auto update and similar features will be added once the basic system is tested and no critical bugs are left + some of the GUI code has to get a bit of polish. Also have to make async processing working with the mal module and clean data interface so we get non blocking callbacks. Or more simply, it's in planning, but not there yet.
Apr 26, 2009 12:25 AM

May 2008
i had no real issues installing this on win vista (yes, I know you hate me)... hadn't installed pygobject and got the errors of above users, but downloaded the windows installers for that and cairo and I was good to go.

results:

I am a banana.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » AniChou package builds

kazooparcel - Apr 30, 2009

12 by Wile »»
Apr 12, 2013 12:34 AM

» AniDB support

Wile - Nov 27, 2009

1 by Necrotex »»
Nov 30, 2009 4:11 AM

Poll: » Searching a new name!

skriticos - Apr 29, 2009

37 by saka »»
Nov 1, 2009 11:14 AM

» Launchpad and an idea

newagemage - Jul 29, 2009

19 by Wile »»
Aug 24, 2009 1:37 AM

Sticky: » Wishlist

skriticos - Apr 27, 2009

19 by skriticos »»
May 13, 2009 1:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.