Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 12, 2011 1:34 PM

Jan 2011
3RD TRY!

Okay, so it's been awhile and I missed a week. Well I was also at a blank on what to make that's related to anime in a way. I came across a nice and easy crepe recipe to try.

Basically, crepe is French for pancake. These just happen to be flat, without any leavening from the mix.

Have on hold:
Ice cream
Whipped cream
Chocolate syrup

Sweet Crepes

2 eggs
3/4 cup milk (preferred: whole)
1/2 cup water
4 1/2 oz. All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 oz. melted butter, unsalted
1 oz sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients in a blender for 7 to 10 seconds. Pour into a container and let it set in the fridge for an hour.

When you're ready to cook your crepes, have a sheet pan with parchment paper ready.

Grease a heated large pan with butter. Make sure your pan isn't too hot (the pan is hot enough when the butter starts to sizzle when you spread it in the pan. I used between medium and medium hi.) Pour a small amount in the pan and use the handle of the pan to spread it around.

Cook for about 30 seconds or until bubbles start forming at the edges. The crepe should be flippable, but make sure you are careful. Use your other hand to tilt the pan so it's easier to flip. Cook for about 15 seconds more. Place the crepe on the parchment paper.

Keep cooking until you have enough. You can freeze them for later use, so cook plenty.

Traditional way

3 crepes will be lined up layered from end to tip, folded in quarters making little triangles. Place two scoops on the each part where the crepes are layered. Pipe or spray whip cream in between your ice cream scoops. Finally pour chocolate syrup lines over your dish.

Crepe cones

Take a crepe and make a fold at the radius (from center to the end) and start forming a cone. If you can, place in a ring of some sort to hold your crepe in place. From there, fill your cone with whatever you want. Try strawberry slices over whipped cream drizzled with chocolate and sprinkles. Caramel over vanilla ice cream. Whatever.

***NOTES***

LEAVENING

Leavening is the process where a foaming action is taking place which lightens and softens the product.

A way of understanding this is using whipped cream through an aerisol can. Nitrous Oxide is dissolved in the cream upon being dispensed, causing the cream to foam as it is pushed out of the can from the pressure. The same can be said if you beat heavy cream with a whisk. The air is being incorporated into the cream, causing it to thicken. The leavening proccess is also used when using yeasts.

To prevent the leavening process to happen with your crepes, let the mixture rest, enabling the bubbles to settle. Without letting it rest, the bubbles left in the mix will not thin out in the pan, instead the trapped air will push outward against your product, causing it to finish thicker than desired.

SURPLUS

This is one of those recipes where you cook in batches. You'll have plenty left over, so have a big enough ziplock bag ready.

Place them flat in the bag, layered with parchment paper. They'll be good for about a month.

Thaw them out by just leaving them out in room temperature.

Anyway, just be creative with your snacks. I'm not here to tell you what to use, just how to make what you need. Have fun.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» About 10 years ago....

RamenSoup43 - Mar 2, 2021

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Mar 2, 2021 7:49 PM

» RAMENSOUP RECIPE POST: Pancit Bihon

RamenSoup43 - Nov 24, 2016

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 24, 2016 4:44 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Chopsticks Dos and Don'ts"

RamenSoup43 - Nov 21, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 21, 2015 8:14 PM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "There's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited!"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 4, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 4, 2015 7:04 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Just showing off?"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 1, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 1, 2015 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.