Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 8, 2011 12:30 AM

Jan 2011
This basically translates to "Grilled Egg" which, yeah, it basically is. This is done differently than the way scrambled eggs are done.

If you have access to a makiyakinabe (those rectangle pans they use to specifically cook these eggs in) then awesome, you've got it easy. If not though, this will get kinda complicated but should be simple enough. If that even makes sense. The recipe given is if you have a round pan instead of the rectangle one used usually.

4 eggs
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce

**Alternate recipe**

3 eggs
3/8 cup of dashi stock
1 tbsp mirin
1/2 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp soy sauce

Whisk all ingredients together until the sugar is dissolved. Pour mix through a strainer.

Oil up your pan, on medium heat.

Pour a small layer of the mix into the pan. Spread the egg out (not with your utensil) until the bottom is covered. Make sure to pop any hot air pockets that form. A small layer will cook fast so watch your timing and heat (lift the pan from the heat if it seems the egg is cooking too fast.)

Carefully fold two sides in (about 1 1/2 inch on both sides) so you have a rectangle. Fold one side over about 3/4 inch or so and repeat until you have one tiny roll of an egg.

Make sure your pan is still well oiled. Pour another thin layer of egg on the pan and spread that out to cook, poking any air pockets that form. Fold the sides as before and start rolling the previous roll into the new layer of cooked egg.

Repeat as many times as needed until you run out of mixture. Make sure the egg is cooked completely; eggs can easily cause sickness if they are still raw. But also remember to always keep an eye on your heat to make sure it doesn't burn. Remove from heat.

Using a few paper towels, pick up the egg (use enough tissues so you don't burn your hands) and transfer to a cutting board. Using the napkins, shape the egg into a rectangle with your hands, or better yet if you have sushi hand roller then use that instead.

If you cooked it in a rectangle pan then it should be ready to cut. If you cooked it in a regular pan then trim the sides to make a perfect rectangle shape. Cut into little rectangle slices, about 3/4 inch in width. If you'd like to keep it for later use, like for sushi, wrap tight in plastic wrap and keep in the fridge. Probably have a few days to use them before they go bad though so don't let them rot away somewhere in the far corners of your fridge.

***Remember, even though they may look like little pieces, there's 4 eggs in there. Think twice before pigging out on your entire dish***

Well, what you want to do from here is up to you. It's all ready for a bento box, sushi, breakfast, lunch, or just for the hell of cooking something because you saw it on an anime.

I recently posted a picture of mine. It was my first attempt at an omelet like this, and honestly it's not a bad try. I'll look around for a rectangle pan tomorrow, as well as mirin and dashi to try the other recipe and maybe post that to show any differences.

Anyway, have fun and watch what you eat too. 4 eggs WILL pack a punch..... *ughhh....*

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» About 10 years ago....

RamenSoup43 - Mar 2, 2021

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Mar 2, 2021 7:49 PM

» RAMENSOUP RECIPE POST: Pancit Bihon

RamenSoup43 - Nov 24, 2016

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 24, 2016 4:44 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Chopsticks Dos and Don'ts"

RamenSoup43 - Nov 21, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 21, 2015 8:14 PM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "There's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited!"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 4, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 4, 2015 7:04 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Just showing off?"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 1, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 1, 2015 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.