Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 24, 2008 1:03 PM
Apr 2008
Hey answerman, I keep reading on ANN about the japanese crackin down on copyrights and suing downloaders and uploaders. then we have the situation in singapore where odex sued people for downloading fansubs. do you think the japanese crackdown will end fansubs in america? i think fansubs are what keep anime alive, if there are no fansubs then there are no fans!!!

Unless the renewed Japanese crackdown on copyright law somehow manages to seriously deter the Japanese from uploading raws to the massive peer-to-peer networks out there, I don't really see it having a major effect on the American fansub scene. It's just too widespread and rampant. If we start seeing Japanese uploaders dragged into court and being handed massive fines and potential jail time, it might make obtaining raws more difficult, but somehow that seems like a temporary stopgap that pirates will work around rather quickly. Basically, no, I don't think the crackdown will seriously effect your fansubs.

I'm compelled to argue with your "without fansubs, there are no fans!" thing. I've been hearing this more and more and frankly, it's a huge load of horseshit.

Over the years, artists routinely thank their fans; "I wouldn't be here without you," etcetera. They acknowledge and occasionally obey their fans. Why is that? Because the fans support the artist by purchasing their work, buying their movies and merchandise, attending concerts, introduce new fans to the work, all of that. That's why the moniker "fan" is supposed to demand a certain level of respect from the artist, because it's a mutually beneficial relationship. That's why fans are often catered to, that's why artists routinely show their appreciation for their fans.

Believe it or not, you are not valuable to the artist if you do not contribute to his success. Simply liking cartoons is not a noble pursuit; you don't deserve to be catered to by the artist simply for enjoying his work. Your well wishes and love for the property mean jack squat if you're not contributing to the cycle that allows the artist's work to be created in the first place.

If you get an artist's work for free and then show it to a friend while also showing him how to get it for free (not to mention introducing him to a massive community of people dedicated to getting that artist's work for free, sharing files and offering his new work the second it's available at no charge without his blessing), you are not creating a fan or helping the artist, you're adding another leech into the system. Only when you or your friend actually contribute to the artist's work are you "fans" in the real sense of the word. Only then are you part of that artist's community, and only then do you deserve his or her respect as a fan, someone who supports their work.

The perversion of the word "fan" from "someone who loves and supports an artist" to "anyone who even kinda enjoys something, with or without ever becoming part of the system that helped create it" is irritating.

Plenty of anime fans buy DVDs - that isn't really my point - but the attitude that unless everyone can get all the anime they want for free, there won't be any more anime fans is ridiculous. If it were true, then there simply wouldn't be any anime to enjoy in the first place because nobody would be paying for it. Fansubs have served to popularize anime in the past, but to suggest that the only reason there are anime fans is because nobody has to pay to watch it is broken.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2007-09-28
"Fatherhood is pretending the present you love most is soap-on-a-rope." - Bill Cosby

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» rightstuf.com

alchemist2113 - Mar 19, 2013

1 by heartpunch »»
Nov 3, 2013 8:01 AM

» Goodbay Club

almozayaf - Oct 15, 2011

0 by almozayaf »»
Oct 15, 2011 12:07 PM

» Where to Legally Watch Anime Online

Thorn_Pilgrim - May 27, 2010

2 by Hypeathon »»
Sep 29, 2010 1:57 PM

» Leading the whole "Save the Anime Industry" by example idea

Hypeathon - May 8, 2009

1 by coolcat »»
Sep 29, 2010 1:49 PM

» i have few qution to all member of these club

almozayaf - Oct 2, 2009

5 by coolcat »»
Sep 29, 2010 1:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.