Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 12, 2010 5:03 PM

Feb 2010
Starting it today, because I'm not getting home early tomorrow. When it comes out feel free to discuss, I'll discuss when I get back.

Every chapter that comes out I'll update the title to the latest chapter and we can continuly discuss on this thread.

Please invite others to join because we have only few members, more would be nice. But either way I opened up posting to non-members so people who didn't join can discuss as well.
u8sandJan 22, 2011 11:41 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 13, 2010 6:27 AM
Apr 2010
Pushing the opponent back with one arm, huh? The hand movements look really interesting. But I've a feeling that I've seen something similar.

Sorry, but I'm not really active in MAL, so I don't know anyone to invite.
Apr 13, 2010 4:33 PM

Feb 2010
Just read it. No problem Oxwivi.
Nice progress, it seems some more realistic moves were explained (thank god)
and Kenji is about to fight using his new moves :D
Apr 13, 2010 9:48 PM
Apr 2010
Which unrealistic moves could you be referring to?
Apr 14, 2010 4:13 AM

Feb 2010
Oxwivi said:
Which unrealistic moves could you be referring to?

Few chapters ago: Pressure Points and inner energy, I was afraid the manga might become unrealistic but its back on to the realistic plot. That is probably the best part of this manga: it is able to keep on the borderline between realistic and not and STILL make it good.
Apr 15, 2010 5:48 AM
Apr 2010
Pressure points are realistic enough - ever heard of acupuncture? Inner energy would be more like mental thing in scientific terms. And being in sync with nature would be like using your surrounding to your advantage - this is something I agree with in a way.
Apr 15, 2010 7:32 AM

Feb 2010
I understand your reasoning however the way they were used was completely unrealistic. He hit him in a pressure point and stated he would be like that for ever unless he "released" it. I agree as well with internal energy but when kenji punched him he got shot back I agree its possible to absorb a blow but not like that.

----------------------- Chapter 8 Discussion Starts Here -----------------------

Kenji was so ultimate in this chapter... It was great I want to see Kenji improve even more :D
u8sandApr 15, 2010 8:03 AM
Apr 16, 2010 12:29 AM
Apr 2010
This chapter was funny! He was dodging those attacks like he was playing, lol!

Speaking of funniness, I regret the change of the elementary happy-go-lucky Kenji to the quiet one.
Apr 16, 2010 10:02 AM
Apr 2010
Regarding that pressure point, I think it's possible. There are points in the body which, if strained, can affect the nerves, resulting in paralysis. If identified, it could be treated. I believe that in terms of modern medicine, that Su-laoshi was blocking some kind of nerve node. Of course if you want to apply it in practise you need extensive knowledge of the body & great accuracy to perform them.

And being shot back is possible too, i.e. if you have an extremely voluntary control of the muscle. It'd be similar to balancing a ball or object on the biceps & suddenly flexing the arm. Similarly, if you know where the opponent is going make contact, you can relax the muscle in that area, to cushion the blow & then flex to bounce it back. I believe it was the case when this 'inner energy' thingy was being demonstrated.
OxwiviApr 16, 2010 2:08 PM
Apr 16, 2010 12:57 PM

Feb 2010
I think you've convinced me to appreciate this manga even more than I did :). I only wish more people were here to discuss Kenji manga, we do have 8 members but they are not posting :/. Regarding tomorrows chapter I may get here late so you can start up the discussion if you want.
Apr 16, 2010 2:06 PM
Apr 2010
I think those members just joined up to show the club name in their list. :-(

MangaFox discussions seems very lively. Considering it being labelled 'hot' it's not surprising. I guess discussing manga in an anime dominated community like this place isn't gonna warm up easily. :'-(

With that said, I joined up in discussion here because it's too busy at MF. I mean if we were there, I don't think we'd have able to discuss like this with the humongous number of people posting at once, so we gotta be grateful that we got this chance at least! ;-)
Apr 16, 2010 3:27 PM

Feb 2010
Very true. I some times post on mangafox but I like a place where I can post for the chapter rather than just post when someone makes a thread for a question of some kind.
Apr 17, 2010 12:01 AM

Jun 2008
does anyone here practice martial arts? i am starting tai chi quan on my own until my boyfriend teaches me shaolin gung fu. so far i am loving this manga. i hope kenji's grandfather is ok..

Apr 17, 2010 9:16 AM
Apr 2010
No, but I am interested in practising some martial arts. I am trying some simple punches and kicks on my own. I like to analyze what muscles are used for what - try doing that too, it's helpful.

----------------------- Chapter 9 Discussion Starts Here -----------------------

From what I've read so far, Bajiquan seems to be merger of different Chinese jung fu. Reminds me of History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi's combination moves.

The Chen style seems to be full of exaggerated moves, & the small style was really intensive. I can understand why the old style is taught first.
Apr 17, 2010 12:44 PM

Feb 2010
Looks great. Kenji seems to be really determined and I believe tony will show up to fight Kenji at some point.. I was waiting for a rematch!
noir_reves said:
does anyone here practice martial arts? i am starting tai chi quan on my own until my boyfriend teaches me shaolin gung fu. so far i am loving this manga. i hope kenji's grandfather is ok..
I agree I do hope his grandfather is ok he was awesome. And I don't practice martial arts because I do other sports and don't really have time for it. I also believe martial arts is pointless unless you devote your life to it but I already have others things I wish to devote my life to. I understand the science that goes into martial arts and I love this manga and how they explain where the power comes from.
Apr 18, 2010 7:03 PM

Feb 2010
Its not out yet but I wont get home till around 6 tomorrow so I'm starting the next chapter discussion.

---------------------- Chapter 10 Discussion Starts Here -----------------------
Apr 19, 2010 3:23 AM
Apr 2010
Meh, I don't like the Tony affair. What do ye think?
Apr 19, 2010 3:59 PM

Feb 2010
Just read it, I think tony is a good enemy for kenji. Kenji is all technique and has fought few but usually wins :D. Tony however is more muscle and hardcore strength he as well fights and usually wins. This makes them like explained in the manga yin and yang: I would like to see who would win if they fought. Last time they fought I thought Kenji would have won that but after displaying his strength Tony may not go as easy next time.
Apr 20, 2010 6:50 AM
Apr 2010
I don't like the seriousness of this manga. But yeah, the wins of Kenji against Tony made it look too easy.
Apr 21, 2010 2:47 PM

Feb 2010
************************ Volume 11 ************************

---------------------- Chapter 1 Discussion Starts Here -----------------------

I believe that three day training was like... we did this, then that and now for the final thing... LOL it went too fast. Isn't his task a little extreme? Do the punch move to the shrine and back... Also of course he would see "ghosts" with that amount of work i wouldn't be surprised if he fainted. But I guess hallucinations are just fine: or are they? Either way this seems like quite a challenge.
u8sandApr 21, 2010 3:29 PM
Apr 22, 2010 1:48 AM
Apr 2010
How'd a test of guts against ghost or hallucination help you in martial arts? Well either way, I think the 'ghost' Kenji encountered is Su who's gonna pretend to be another Kenji & fight him with the same skill level. Something like overcoming yourself, I guess...
Apr 22, 2010 3:25 PM

Feb 2010
Sounds good we will see in the next chapter.. Will he have enough energy left to fight himself?
Apr 23, 2010 1:31 PM
Apr 2010
---------------------- Chapter 2 Discussion Starts Here -----------------------

Okay, now that was fantastically stupid!
Apr 23, 2010 2:28 PM

Feb 2010
Lol I kinda expected that it would be his peers who would play the role of the ghosts. It was so short and was kind of a waste of time so... Move on :D
Apr 24, 2010 11:01 AM
Apr 2010
Yeah, pne of the stupidest Kenji chapter.
Apr 25, 2010 6:48 PM

Feb 2010
---------------------- Chapter 3 Discussion Starts Here -----------------------

Well it seems this chapter was discussion and no action (except for the demonstration). I think I like the idea of flowing motions rather than abrupt motions. I hope Kenji will learn the smooth motions as well as increase in strength.
u8sandApr 25, 2010 6:58 PM
Apr 25, 2010 10:42 PM
Apr 2010
Both type has it's uses, nee?

If both are used in conjunction it could be like doing smooth motions to energise, then hit with a burst of strength of an abrupt move, then slow down to energise again in flowing motions.

Used separately, it abrupt motion can be used for one-hit KO if you're confident that it can finish off the opponent, otherwise it'll be too tiring to do them simultaneously. Flowing motions is more like maintaining your stance against the opponent and repelling them, eventually tiring them out. It's like comparing strength with endurance.
Apr 26, 2010 3:44 PM

Feb 2010
I think you should fight and flow to reduce delays in your movements, I'd rather get hit as little as possible and send plenty of hits. I agree its endurance but if your hitting them more and not getting hit they will definitely tire out faster than you.
With flowing motion you can send consecutive attacks without delays to tire your opponent.
Apr 26, 2010 10:29 PM
Apr 2010
Yeah, that's why I mentioned if you're confident you finish off the opponent. It was used by Li Shu Wen in the first flashbacks about him, right? All of his opponents died with just one of his hits.

Either way, like I said, both has it's uses. If you're hesitant to fisht, you can just avoid and sidestep attacks like it was demonstrated using the flowing technique, or just finish off weak opponents faster, depending on the situation.
Apr 27, 2010 9:49 AM
Apr 2010
---------------------- Chapter 4 Discussion Starts Here -----------------------

This chapter was funny for once. But boring at the sane tine...
Apr 27, 2010 4:24 PM

Feb 2010
I thought it was great. Not much accomplished but they had a nice fight together to say goodbye. I wonder how Kenji will make it on his own.. They never really went through him learning the language much did they. :O
Apr 28, 2010 1:17 AM
Apr 2010
It was never revealed what language they were conversing in. I wouldn't expect Su-laoshi's students to be fluent in Japanese, either.
Apr 30, 2010 6:06 AM
Apr 2010
---------------------- Chapter 5 Discussion Starts Here -----------------------

And yet another girl enters Kenji's life... ^.^'
Apr 30, 2010 5:34 PM

Feb 2010
I don't think they will get together though.. Who knows I wanted to see Kenji beat those guys up but oh well :D.. He could write but couldn't talk to them..? What is that because of the many different dialects but he could speak and write so I know all the Chinese writing is the same even the if they speak differently..

What to the Chinese have against Japanese anyway?
Apr 30, 2010 10:37 PM
Apr 2010
I know that Kenji's not going to be together, but there's something between him and all the girls he meets...

I don't think the taxi thing was something to do about Chinese against Japanese, but it's genocide. I don't remember if it was part of the World Wars, but Japan did attack China. They even did experiments on them - and just FYI, the experiment documents were seized by the Americans. Either way, the invasion failed, but they did leave a huge scar.
May 1, 2010 5:17 AM

Feb 2010
Oh ok

---------------------- Chapter 6 Discussion Starts Here -----------------------

Now I believe you.. :D She is definitely another girl in his life. Doesn't is seem like there are hardly and women in this manga?
May 1, 2010 10:02 AM
Apr 2010
I don't think the author wanted to put much ecchiness, that's why there's a lack of female characters.
May 3, 2010 10:19 AM
Apr 2010
---------------------- Chapter 7 Discussion Starts Here -----------------------

A plot in the making? I look forward to what this guy comes up with.
May 3, 2010 3:45 PM

Feb 2010
Nice. They fight well 2gether <3. Why do so many people seem to know Tony, is he that well known? Many also know that Kenji is his rival, I guess Tony talks about him.
May 3, 2010 11:44 PM
Apr 2010
I guess Tony is well known in those kinda, er, gang networks shall I say?
May 5, 2010 2:08 PM

Feb 2010
But do gang networks really extend that far to completely different places with different languages. It also seems many strong and/or important people know of him, hes not your average 'gang' member.

---------------------- Chapter 8 Discussion Starts Here -----------------------

A movie star? What a strange reason to become a martial artist, I understand the "learn to stay alive" part. Kenji seems allot better than he believes himself to be: I want to see him fight someone at his level (like tony) :D.
u8sandMay 5, 2010 2:14 PM
May 6, 2010 2:06 AM
Apr 2010
Gang as in related to martial arts. Like they said, martial art bonds extends over different cultures.

I think he's martial arts to fight crooks and also earn money in the show business.
May 7, 2010 1:48 PM

Feb 2010
---------------------- Chapter 9 Discussion Starts Here -----------------------

Not much of a chapter, we learn that many have English names because of British colonization, bobby and tony are buddies. I doubt bobby will make it but who knows, it seems volume 11 is done.
u8sandMay 7, 2010 2:20 PM
May 7, 2010 2:38 PM
Apr 2010
I guess the author is projecting the situation in Hong Kong back then? Well, nothing much to banter on about...
May 9, 2010 9:23 AM

Feb 2010
************************ Volume 12 ************************

---------------------- Chapter 1 Discussion Starts Here -----------------------

I knew something like that would happen at the movie shoot. The volume cover looks cool, Kenji is portrayed very aggressively.. I just wish he would act that way!
u8sandMay 9, 2010 9:31 AM
May 10, 2010 1:49 AM
Apr 2010
Then the story'd never be the same if he acted that way - specially with the ladies! lolol

Anyway, wish they'd portrayed the fight a more detailed way.
May 10, 2010 5:24 PM

Feb 2010
I agree, it happened to fast and wasn't very impressive...
May 10, 2010 11:31 PM
Apr 2010
Meh, they just wanted to show something happened, but nothing big deal...
May 11, 2010 11:17 AM

Feb 2010
---------------------- Chapter 2 Discussion Starts Here -----------------------

What a long code... I think I agree with you now: there is a lot of gang and mafia business involved with this manga. Kenji doesn't realize it but he has entered a dangerous world but his personality may be fit for it. Who is Jonny again? His face reminded me of tony.
u8sandMay 11, 2010 1:35 PM
May 12, 2010 8:24 AM
Apr 2010
Yeah, but he wouldn't care even if he came to realise as long as he can learn martial arts. That guy was the leader of the gang against Kowloon City. Remember he appeared on a boat while Kenji and what's-her-name was being assaulted by the gang?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Fist

Oxwivi - May 14, 2010

4 by Oxwivi »»
May 20, 2010 5:05 AM

» Welcome to the Kenji Club

u8sand - Apr 11, 2010

5 by u8sand »»
Apr 12, 2010 5:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.