Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 10, 5:03 PM

May 2021
A-B-C Reviews Anime/Manga!

Been watching anime? Reading manga?
Want to share your thoughts about any material that has interested you?
This is your thread!

Not all of us are watching or reading the same things. We have seasonal discussions for the currently airing anime. However, we needed a space to write about general anime that is more in-depth. + Manga as a bonus!

This thread's purpose is to give the members an opportunity to rate and review content that they've been enjoying without having to post a public review. Below I'll discuss some of the specific rules that I'd like to have this thread uphold for it to be unique to our discussion board.

Rules

- Reviews can be preliminary or complete. Just make sure you mark them as needed so everyone knows.

- Reviews can be spoiler specific BUT you must use the "/spoiler" code to cover any spoilers.
Example:

- Reviews cannot be simple, "This anime is good." or "Check this manga out because I said so."

- Replies to reviews can be simple or conversational about the original post. (If the review you're wanting to reply to is lengthy I recommend @'ing the reviewer themselves, or replying to specific sections of the review through the quote function. Just using the default reply function will clutter the thread quickly, please be mindful of how you reply. ^_^)

- There are no formatting rules for reviews. As long as you give the title of the material, what it is (anime or manga), and whether or not the review is preliminary / complete is enough. Linking to the MAL database entry is highly recommended.

- Reviews do not need to have 1-10 ratings attached to them. If you want to leave a rating you can!

- There is no limit to how long or short a review has to be. Reviews are welcome to be extremely in-depth or just surface level.

- Reviews can be about ANY anime or manga. If you want to give a full review of a seasonal anime that is also welcome. This space is purely for sharing more specific thoughts about any material you've engaged with.

- Have fun! Share your favorite stuff or the newest stuff you've been grinding.

Have any questions or concerns? Feel free to message me @Horizon248.
Myself and @Divlyfein will be happy to help anybody who needs assistance with formatting.

Links to our other discussions: ☀︎ Summer 2024 Seasonals ☀︎, Studio Ghibli Film Fest 2024, and more!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 11, 9:59 PM

May 2021
Seiyuu Radio no Uraomote (The Many Sides of Voice Actor Radio)

First review coming from me here at the A-B-C headquarters.
My goal for this review is to give my opinion of the show, and what you might expect if you were to check it out.
+ and - some ratings for individual criteria that I think are worthy of mentioning for this piece.
For a shorter take on what I think of this show you can visit this post here from Spring 2024 Seasonals.
Thanks for reading! ^_^

Synoposis: Yumiko Satou (Yasumi Utatane) is an aspiring seiyuu freshman who is looking to take her career to the next level. Confronted with an opportunity to star on a radio show themed around her and another similarly aged girl discussing their high school happenings, Yasumi Utatane is casted alongside a girl who she recognizes as her classmate Chika Watanabe (Yuuhi Yuugure). Thus their journey begins as classmate and seiyuu rivals.

What you can expect watching this show:

Two girls who have stark differences in personalities are met with the challenge of teaming up to create a radio show. Or so you thought. Seiyuu Radio has very little emphasis on the radio show itself. It does explore voice acting and idol work, just in a way that manages to barely be surface level and on rails. If you were expecting an Oshi no Ko-esque take on the entertainment industry via the characters being seiyuus, unfortunately this is far from that.

The characters themselves aren't unlikable, in fact the main and side characters are the piece holding this entire thing together. Regrettably, they don't get nearly enough time to develop. The entire hook of this show is the character cast. Putting that together, you get a bit of an unsavory experience.

If you are a fan of voice acting, and enjoy the theme that is trying to be presented here, there is still merit to watching this. The OP and ED are enjoyable, and sung by the main voice actresses themselves. The art is actually above average from what you'd expect a show like this to have. Sound design throughout is pleasing and there are no obvious flaws with the production.

Ratings:

Narrative/Writing: Unfortunately this is the portion of Seiyuu Radio that leaves the show feeling inadequate. With a good theme of girls exploring voice acting together, somehow this anime manages to squander most of that potential. Simply put, if this show's sole focus was on delivering an experience revolving around seiyuu work, this would have been a significantly better experience. Somewhere along the way this anime went from introducing a radio show, to then being a classmate quarrel with some yuri bait sprinkled in-between. Devil's advocate here, even if the show was just about the girls hanging out and becoming better friends it would've been better.

The drama elements feel entirely forced. The character interactions are, for the majority, barely passable by any decent standards of what you'd expect from this genre. The comedy ele-... Wait, what comedy elements? Seiyuu Radio is cute, it is not funny. This anime has a lot of directions, all of them are half baked and none of them make for a fulfilling story. Funny enough, this show originally aired with the "Girls Love" tag. That was swiftly removed from the database entry. Romance enjoyers are to beware.

Overall this pretty much completely misses the mark for me on whether or not I could consider this narrative passable. I sadly rate it a 2/10.

Characters: Yasumi, Yuuhi, and the side cast of characters are likable characters. If this show ran for more than 12 episodes I would've expected a lot more in terms of development from them. Alas, being reasonable with a first season of 12 episodes it seems fair to rate them decently high.

Yasumi specifically is a truly good character. She is realistic, somewhat relatable, and above all cute as a button. Since she is the main protagonist that Seiyuu Radio follows it is kind of expected. However, I do think she is more or less the hard carry of this show.

Yuuhi, you will either love or hate her. She is voiced by Moe Toyota. Toyota-san is an extremely talented seiyuu and I do like a lot of her work. It is worth mentioning though that her voice can be a bit polarizing.

The side characters are honestly solid. Asaka-chan and Wakana-chan being my absolute favorites of the bunch. There are other memorable and honorable mentions that I could make here but for the sake of length it really isn't neccessary.

Characters in Seiyuu Radio pass. I rate them a solid 7/10.

Art and sound: Art design is a huge center piece for anime of this genre. If your characters aren't cute then nobody is tuning into girls voice acting. Luckily, the character and set designs are above average.

Since this show is heavily focused on a few characters and their lives as voice actors, it's imperative that the sound stage is a fit. Another win for Seiyuu Radio here. There are a few key moments in the anime that make you feel something through sound alone. The music is also quite good. I have no quarrels with the look and sound of this anime.

Art and sound squeeze a good 8/10. OP here! ED here! *Audio only*

Overall: Seiyuu Radio no Uraomote gets a 6/10.
Not great! Not terrible either. If you are in a serious content drought and need something to watch, this isn't the worst option.

I hope you enjoyed this spoiler free review! See you in the next one. Cheers! ♡
Horizon248Jul 12, 10:17 PM
Jul 13, 9:41 PM
Blitzball Player

Dec 2011
Welcome to Divlyfein's Wild Ride!

First up is Black Lagoon. Back in the day this show was pretty hyped and still enjoys some cultural relevance today. It's full blown R+ action: violence, nudity, and adult themes. The journey follows Rokurou Okajima, a salary man mired by the crushing weight of the Japanese corporate world. Due to a business negotiation gone terribly wrong, Rokurou happens upon a new life among the Lagoon Company—a band of unhinged pirate mercenaries.

The setting of Thailand gives Black Lagoon a worldly quality. The city of Roanapur, rampant with crime and corruption, is full of diversity and characters from all walks of life.

The action is absolutely balls-to-the-wall and the adventures are off the rails. Whether the mission is aboard Lagoon Company's ship, sailing the high seas, or entrenched in the streets of Roanapour, there is rarely a dull moment. The gunplay is nutty, with one scene in particular faithfully showing off a Dragunov, complete with a scope-view.

It took a few episodes to set up but my GOD this shit gets wild and DEEP. The latter half of Black Lagoon, titled Second Barrage, just kicks the intensity up a metric mile with the stakes reaching all time highs. The characters man, the characters. All the development starts to hit a major stride as you enter the final acts.

Really wish I could divulge further, but it is my goal to save the mystery than surrender to the secret. Super recommend this wild ride. Oh, and the grills are HOT.

divlyfeinJul 18, 10:28 PM
Jul 18, 10:19 PM
Blitzball Player

Dec 2011
Divlyfein's Wild Ride Part 2!

Sakamichi no Apollon (Kids on the Slope)

My "favorite thing" is this time... right now.

Well. This is one of my favorite series I have ever seen. Simply beautiful, front-to-back. A classic collaboration between Shinichiro Watanabe (director) and Yoko Kanno (music); animation by MAPPA and Tezuka Productions.

MAL puts it nicely, "Sakamichi no Apollon is a heartwarming story of friendship, music, and love that follows three unique individuals brought together by their mutual appreciation for jazz." Sakamichi, at its core, is a dramatic slice-of-life love (polygon) story. Demographic: Josei (adult women). It hits sappy people like me like a truck, especially as I listen to the rendition of My Funny Valentine by Chet Baker while I write this.

The year is 1966. Sakamichi follows Nishimi Kaoru (bearing a strong resemblance to jazz great Bill Evans) as he is transferred to a new school in Kyushu. Kaoru is an honor roll student, socially distant and ridden with anxiety among people, but finds that his life begins to change after meeting his classmates, Sentaro and Ritsuko. Kaoru is a classical pianist, focused on regimented perfection, but is exposed to the world of jazz by Sentaro; Kaoru develops a love for its free and carefree nature.

Sakamichi really struck a major seventh chord with me (see what I did there??). I love jazz. With all my heart. I have been listening to it for many years and have found myself in many a record shop, sifting through all the beautiful music for hours.

Sakamichi takes no prisoners with how unapologetically "jazz" it is:
  • Every episode is titled after a jazz standard.
  • Classic jazz records adorn the scenery like little love letters to fans of the genre.
  • The music performances are simply phenomenal. Nearly perfect one-to-one recreations of what is actually being played. No really. It's among the best to ever do it.

Out of the 12 episodes, I quite literally choked up to the verge of tears during 8 of them. It's not a show for the faint of heart. It's quite raw; perhaps a little too real in that regard. It is intensely relatable, and it can be painful to dredge up memories of your past.

The 1960s are a beautiful choice for Sakamichi. It is an era that marked a declining interest in jazz for the favor of rock-and-roll (Beatle mania). Sakamichi does not shy away from many real-world topics at the time: student university protests, Catholicism, racism, and American occupation were among some of them. It's nice to live vicariously in a time without technology that continually distances us from real-world relationships—to live in the moment and be among friends every day.

Overall: Sakamichi no Apollon is a must-see. Just know that I am here for you if you do drop the needle.

divlyfeinJul 19, 8:41 AM
Jul 29, 9:55 PM

Dec 2023
THIS IS GONNA BE A KILLER THREAD!!! Thanks to @horizon248 for setting this up!
The first show I want to review isn't one I get to talk about too often.

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpaii

SYNOPSIS

The rare and inexplicable Puberty Syndrome is thought of as a myth. It is a rare disease which only affects teenagers, and its symptoms are so supernatural that hardly anyone recognizes it as a legitimate occurrence. However, high school student Sakuta Azusagawa knows from personal experience that it is very much real, and happens to be quite prevalent in his school.

Mai Sakurajima is a third-year high school student who gained fame in her youth as a child actress, but recently halted her promising career for reasons unknown to the public. With an air of unapproachability, she is well known throughout the school, but none dare interact with her—that is until Sakuta sees her wandering the library in a bunny girl costume. Despite the getup, no one seems to notice her, and after confronting her, he realizes that she is another victim of Puberty Syndrome. As Sakuta tries to help Mai through her predicament, his actions bring him into contact with more girls afflicted with the elusive disease.

REVIEW

Show up for the bunny girl. Stay for the story.
That's the most basic way I can describe my viewing experience. They get you interested in by dangling a hot chick in your face, and once your strapped in, they crank it to 1000. The show takes you for such a wild ride that you forget why you were there in the first place!

What is it similar to?
The shows you can compare this to are few and far between. There's only 1 that comes to mind. If you've seen it you'll know exactly what I mean. Bunny Girl Senpaii is a more digestible version of Monogatari.

Bunny Girl Senpai is more upfront and in the open about their "punchlines", "Puberty Syndrome" is akin to "apparitions', and they structure of the storytelling has some similarities.

The main character Sakuta has some very similar qualities to Koyomi. They're both good dudes who'll help anyone who needs it (mostly cute chicks of course). They're both loners for the most part but take pride in the few good relationships that they have.

Production
Overall the show was extremely well done. The animation quality was quite good. It's perfectly simple. A recent show I could use to describe a similar feeling, would be Bartender Glass of God.. A masterful use of the basics.

Voice Cast
Voice cast gets a 12/10 from me. Every one of them does a phenomenal job. I could say something amazing for all of them, but I only want to point out a couple that really surprised me.
1. Main Character Mai Sakurajima, voiced by Asami Seto, was truly incredible. Every second she's on screen, you're locked in. She does a great job of bringing out the full dichotomy of Mai. You'll recognize her from some of her other prominent roles: Nobara Kugisaki from Ju Jujutsu Kaisen, Alpha From Eminence in Shadow, and a recent favorite of mine Yori Asanagi from Whisper Me A Love Song.
2. Main Character Sakuta Azusagawa, voiced by Kaito Ishikawa, was perfect. Perfectly simple, until it's not. Sakuta has a very monotone voice for most of the show. Matching his expressionless face and general slow and steady movements. But there are times when that wall gets to come down, and some amazing voice work comes through. It makes those emotional scenes smash you in the chest that much harder. You've heard him from some of his other roles: Langris Vaude from Black Clover, Genos from One Punch Man, and recenly featured as Touya Kenzaki from Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings In Russian.
(.5). I have to give a special shoutout to Rio Futaba, voiced by Atsumi Tanezaki, she's a total babe and must be protected at all costs.

Audio
The audio is one of my favorite parts of the show. Its ear candy front to back. Each backtrack builds a perfect framework of how you're going to feel every scene. Serving as the perfect stage for the voice cast to shine on.

Overall
This show is a smash hit all the way around. It has a good balance of humor/romance/drama/deep story. With 1 full season and 3 movies, there's still not enough content to fill you up. You're gonna want more. Enjoy!
Sep 22, 6:11 PM
Blitzball Player

Dec 2011
Divlyfein's Wild Ride Part 3!

Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei (The Tatami Galaxy)

The Tatami Galaxy is everything you have ever believed it to be: avant-garde, off-the-rails, psychological, and insanity. I can truly claim that it is unlike anything I have ever seen. Right out of the gate your subtitle reading skills will absolutely be put to the ultimate test. The animation is nuts. I ended up watching this show front-to-back in one sitting. The music is likewise incredible. The Tatami Galaxy is a show that benefits from multiple viewings without a doubt.

Overall: Recommended if you enjoy obscurity.

Okay. It's an okay show and a fairly terrible entry in the Black Jack franchise. Never on my watch will this be anybody's introduction to Black Jack sensei. The OVA and films are just so much better it feels nearly worthless. First of all: Young Black Jack is PG. Hate it. The OVA is R+ and can you really even tell a heavily adult themed medical story without blood and nudity? As a standalone show it has some good moments and I enjoyed that most of the story arcs were told across multiple parts. By far and away the best part of the show was the GOAT Akio Ootsuka being the narrator as an adult Black Jack reminiscing on his youth. But yeah I don't even accept this as cannon.

Overall: Not Recommended. Only for Black Jack completionists.

Shin Kidou Senki Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz)

Endless Waltz is an incredible ending to an incredible space opera. I watched the 3-episode OVA and plan on watching the film version next. Animation is gorgeous and the gundam models are glorious. Could not be happier closing this chapter out. Gundam Wing is some of the best Gundam I have seen.

Overall: Recommended with the implication you have seen Gundam Wing in its entirety as it is a sequel.

Saishuu Heiki Kanojo (She, The Ultimate Weapon)

My most recent watch and oh boy... where to begin. This is pretty awful. It is a nice feeling though when the OP is so bad you insta-skip after seeing only once. They really thought they cooked with it too as it is constantly hummed throughout the show. But you know what? Something about the show kept me going and engaged. It had some charm and nostalgia to it. Something about the Studio Gonzo early 2000s aesthetic. With that being said, the animation is pretty terrible. Interesting note, I saw in the credits Doga Kobo helped out with this.

Two questions. Have you ever seen the first episode of a show and ask yourself, "How in the hell is this going to last 13 episodes?". Yeah it's wild. The second is have you ever seen a show where you just KNEW the original manga is just so much better and that the anime just simply doesn't translate? That is how I feel about Saikano. I can just tell the art and stories translate so much better and hit harder in manga.

I have an old bootleg DVD of Saikano and have nostalgic memories watching it with my girlfriend in high school although we never watched past episode 2. We did share a diary like they did in the show. It was nice to finally finish this memory through.

I wouldn't even know where to begin with what Saikano is about but tldr: it's an omega sappy romance between characters you just can't even find a reason to like with a war raging on where it is never explained what the hell is even happening or why everything is being destroyed. Have I mentioned this a 13-episodes?

Overall: Not Recommended. If you enjoy some bargain bin here and there and the sappiest romance imaginable, then there is still value to be had here.

Hope you enjoyed! The stack is getting smaller and it's a great feeling. I'm going to TRY and keep this a bit more rapid-fire, and recommend everyone do the same to prevent burn-out, as this is pretty much only a discussion between us three. Loved your review on Rascal @UNHOLYCANOE! I always see the cover around and your review fills me with determination to give it a go sometime ^^
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » MAL Badge Announcements

Anime-Book-Club - Feb 8

30 by Horizon248 »»
Sep 26, 1:00 AM

» Fantasy Anime League ~ Fall 2024

Horizon248 - Sep 15

1 by divlyfein »»
Sep 22, 6:28 PM

» Birthdays!

Tommy-Pickles - Apr 15

7 by divlyfein »»
Sep 17, 5:00 PM

» AMV SHARE

divlyfein - May 28

32 by UNHOLYCANOE »»
Sep 15, 10:08 AM

» ☀︎ Summer 2024 Seasonals ☀︎

Horizon248 - Jun 23

12 by divlyfein »»
Sep 12, 10:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.