Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 14, 2022 5:25 AM

Aug 2013
Decent first episode. I know nothing about this series, but it seems to be something I'll enjoy. So I'll look forward to it.

Oct 14, 2022 6:44 AM

Feb 2021
KiliianSleipnir said:
KiliianSleipnir said:
hmmm, i think this one is going to be a maybe/maybe not for me. ep1 really didn't hook me.

Memore said:
Why? It is fantastic series! Watch 2 more episodes and if you don't like it, then leave it.

as i said, the 1st episode didn't hook me. here, i'll save myself time and quote myself from the Disqus page for ep1 on the 'p!r@t3' site i watch anime on.

"yes i'm old enough to have owned and used an original GameBoy, NES, and SNES back when they were brand new. but i had never heard of the 'Mana' franchise back then, or at all in the past 30 years till this anime came out.

best as i can tell this is going to be a niche anime for folks who have played the game. there is little to no appeal to me as a non-game player to watch it. the world-building seems to be seriously nonexistent for a first episode. the character designs are impressive, and as usual for JRPG... weird... peculiar... and make no sense."

i know Mana is a well-loved and nigh on ancient game franchise. SquareSoft and crew have put out some stellar games in my lifetime... but this one... is feeling a bit like Dragon Quest the Adventure of Dai. now, i played Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest 1 USA version) on NES for YEARS till i completed it as a kid. so, i tried 'Dai' out and got to episode 71. i'll probably finish it someday but i'm in no hurry. it seemed so completely different than the NES game i played that... i seriously had to dig around online and double check that...

1 i was watching the right show.

2 it was not the older version. (which i had not watched either)

3 it really WAS supposedly based on DQ/DW.

because 'Dai' was unrecognizable.

now, since i've never even heard of Mana nor played it ..... the 'baseline appeal' of this anime just isn't there. for me. if i keep going with Mana it probably won't be till episode 3 comes out and i can sit down and watch 2 & 3 back to back and decide if Mana makes it past 'the 3 episode rule'.

Ok, I understand you.
Oct 14, 2022 9:30 PM
Apr 2021
The protagonist is supposed to be a stupid asshole. legit. WTF!?

The tree looks like it came out of a 90s music video (I'm looking @ you, Gouryella - Gouryella)

I'm dropping this series. Read the manga.
Oct 18, 2022 7:55 PM
Jul 2017
Very good standard anime. The quality and pacing and all.

I'm curious to find out what happens next.
Oct 18, 2022 9:16 PM
Mar 2012
OP & ED sound awesome.
weird cactus. Cute & pretty 90s design. So far verge toward kids show feel tho.
Perfect for Halloween, but kids named after InBev beers?
Brave vs Wounded hmm
Shiloh's abs look incredible.
Greenman why so angry violent?
Ms butterfly seem depressed.
Oct 21, 2022 11:44 AM

Oct 2018
kayuza77 said:
My childhood nostalgia!

They keep original ED song from the game

From the title guess they only cover the Jumi arc

Agreed, I think they are planning to adapt the Dragoon Arc and Escad Arc in further seasons.
Oct 21, 2022 7:26 PM

Nov 2010
MKSTEEL said:
kayuza77 said:
My childhood nostalgia!

They keep original ED song from the game

From the title guess they only cover the Jumi arc

Agreed, I think they are planning to adapt the Dragoon Arc and Escad Arc in further seasons.

I hope so! I replayed it in the pandemic and
Oct 21, 2022 7:42 PM

Oct 2018
Kamirura said:
MKSTEEL said:

I hope so! I replayed it in the pandemic and

That would be great, I totally agree, it would create more of a unified narrative for the game via this anime adaptation.
Dec 4, 2022 1:59 PM
Dec 2022
i very like with this ost, and color from this style, but i dont like with this background is ancient times. this is old europe like yunani or roma
Dec 19, 2022 8:21 PM
Dec 2012
i just remembered this was airing this season and watched the first episode. the legend of mana game is my favorite game of all time, i love the music and artstyle, and i'm really excited to see the show is well animated, keeps a lot of the music and art in new higher quality renditions, and gives a voice to the characters you meet in the game. this is so cool! i love how they related duelle and the teapot to rachel from the bar, that was a unique addition, as well as giving duelle some capability to match his knowledgeable quirkiness. i was also interested to see if they would keep the interesting philosophy in the game as part of the anime, and i believe they will, given the reverend nouvelle and the mana tree at the beginning both teased it a bit. I hope this show fulfills my expectations. but already the best part about it is that awesome ending song, even though i do like the swedish version from the game a lot i was also really happy with the japanese version, the singer did a wonderful job and they put some great art in there that made me cry a little bit. i did not expect to see this in 2022 but i guess people at sony saw the awesome artwork and music when they were remastering the game recently and they must have realized there was this really unique and beautiful world with a bunch of iconic characters and locations and it had just been sitting under their dirty rug for 20 years. better late than never.
Dec 25, 2022 1:52 AM

Jul 2015
I never played the game, but this sure gives off that old school game vibe. Some cute designs and its funny how the twins are named after beer brands.

Jan 1, 2023 10:23 PM

Feb 2021
As expected from Square Enix, I Love the graphic!
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Oct 21, 2023 4:30 AM

Apr 2013
First episode was okay, it was cool to see monsters that also appeared in Secret of Mana again. But the story seems quite... bland so far.
Feb 14, 3:09 AM

Jun 2009
I dropped the anime back then after 2mins into the 2nd episode bc I was just so disappointed. I knew I shouldn't have had hopes that they would at least a bit follow the manga, but I had them anyway and was very disappointed. The lackluster animations did the rest
But now I'm bored and I decided to watch something that I definitely won't have to rewatch with my s//o and/or my former roommate, and this came to mind

As the biggest fan and defender of Toto and the manga: this feels slow, lame and Shilouh doesn't know anything
I wish they would accept Shiro Amano-sensei's rendition of Legend of Mana as canon, because damn I love Toto's stupidity, at least it's funny lmao
Duelle might be the closest to his Amano-sensei rendition, since he has so far the most bite out of them all
Feb 14, 3:15 AM

Jun 2009
Reply to Unkrowned
I never played the game, but this sure gives off that old school game vibe. Some cute designs and its funny how the twins are named after beer brands.
@Unkrowned Not sure what their true names are, but I've always known them as Lisa and Bud
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seiken Densetsu: Legend of Mana - The Teardrop Crystal Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2022

42 by JeanFranciss »»
Apr 28, 9:25 AM

Poll: » Seiken Densetsu: Legend of Mana - The Teardrop Crystal Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2022

13 by JeanFranciss »»
Apr 28, 9:24 AM

Poll: » Seiken Densetsu: Legend of Mana - The Teardrop Crystal Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2022

14 by JeanFranciss »»
Apr 28, 9:24 AM

Poll: » Seiken Densetsu: Legend of Mana - The Teardrop Crystal Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2022

18 by JeanFranciss »»
Apr 21, 9:20 AM

Poll: » Seiken Densetsu: Legend of Mana - The Teardrop Crystal Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2022

16 by JeanFranciss »»
Apr 21, 9:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.