Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 24, 2023 6:43 AM
Mar 2023
Imo This is some of best romcom and harem anime I have ever watched. I love how this anime is so self aware.breaking 4th wall, extreme tsundere,rantaro rizz,chemistry between his girlfriends,that special ed for hahari and many more thing and ya fanservice. But fanservice is very good here not like any other ecchi show who do fanservice for the shake of fanservice this show use that as tool of comedy(which work for me). Maybe this is recency baise but this is 2nd favorite romcom for me after kaguya sama love is war. 10/10 from me.and I have tried to read it's manga but anime is far superior for me in case of this series so I will go as I am going till now(watching an episode of anime them reading it's manga).
Dec 24, 2023 6:51 AM
May 2022
Completely agree, I started reading the manga last year, got caught up and while saving up chapters I forgot about it and when the anime was announced, I was so excited for it

The adaptation was amazing, not only did they not leave out anything, they even added a few scenes. The animation, soundtracks, OP, ED and Hahari's special ED. Just perfect.

I am so excited for season 2
Dec 24, 2023 7:04 AM
Apr 2022
Same. One of the best harem shows and romances in general. So funny and wild
Dec 24, 2023 9:17 AM
May 2021
Then you need to watch more romcom πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Dec 24, 2023 9:36 AM
Mar 2023
SkyhighCFC said:

they work in romance but in comedy not very much.
Dec 25, 2023 7:01 AM
May 2022
SkyhighCFC said:

This is a fantastic romcom that does both romance and comedy well. What are you on about
Dec 25, 2023 7:24 AM
Feb 2017
Reply to SkyhighCFC
@SkyhighCFC Coming from someone who rated Rent a Girlfriend 8? I don't think you have the right to tell that to him.
Dec 25, 2023 8:07 AM
May 2021
Reply to Altofanime
SkyhighCFC said:

This is a fantastic romcom that does both romance and comedy well. What are you on about
@Altofanime That's your opinion. My personal opinion? The comedy was very hit or miss and the romance aspect was laughable to say the least. The romance aspect of this show is very weak for the simple fact that it doesn't feel genuine or organic at all. The girls literally fall in love with Rentarou at first sight and vice versa. This show doesn't even crack my top 10 romcoms of all time.
Dec 25, 2023 8:08 AM
May 2022
SkyhighCFC said:
@Altofanime That's your opinion. My personal opinion? The comedy was very hit or miss and the romance aspect was laughable to say the least. The romance aspect of this show is very weak for the simple fact that it doesn't feel genuine or organic at all. The girls literally fall in love with Rentarou at first sight and vice versa. This show doesn't even crack my top 10 romcoms of all time.

Alright then. We can just agree to disagree
Dec 25, 2023 8:11 AM
May 2021
Reply to Valuableexp
@SkyhighCFC Coming from someone who rated Rent a Girlfriend 8? I don't think you have the right to tell that to him.
@Valuableexp I can't even defend RaG not even gonna try to sugar coat it. I actually have to revisit some of my previous ratings and RaG is one of them for sure. That being said, I enjoyed RaG season 3 (the peak of the series in general) a bit more than I enjoyed 100 kano. That's an unpopular opinion for sure, but my problem with 100 kano is that the only reason most people watch it is for the comedy aspect, and the comedy is 50/50 for me. It doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Konosuba or Kaguya in the comedy department in my personal opinion
Dec 25, 2023 8:49 AM
Feb 2017
Reply to SkyhighCFC
@Valuableexp I can't even defend RaG not even gonna try to sugar coat it. I actually have to revisit some of my previous ratings and RaG is one of them for sure. That being said, I enjoyed RaG season 3 (the peak of the series in general) a bit more than I enjoyed 100 kano. That's an unpopular opinion for sure, but my problem with 100 kano is that the only reason most people watch it is for the comedy aspect, and the comedy is 50/50 for me. It doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Konosuba or Kaguya in the comedy department in my personal opinion
@SkyhighCFC I don't think most people just watch it for the comedy. There are those who like it because of its harem aspect and the characters themselves.

In the end, we all have our own preferences and if you don't like it, then fine. I just don't like to see someone telling others to "watch more" or "you haven't seen much" if they disagree with another person's opinion about an anime they like especially if they have some weird tastes themselves just like in your case when you rate Rent A Girlfriend 8.
Dec 25, 2023 12:56 PM
Jul 2009
Reply to SkyhighCFC
@SkyhighCFC oh wow, saying Kaguya sama actually has "romcom", that's peak irony.

It has comedy, but watching the two main characters "duel" in trying to get the other to confess gets really really old. Wasn't funny the first time, wasn't funny several seasons in.

The show was basically only watchable because of literally every other character.

Hyakkano is actually romantic because of how hard Rentaro actually tries to build up the the romantic relationships, rather than taking it for granted in other harem shows like To Love Ru
Dec 25, 2023 2:30 PM
May 2021
Reply to 2LongDidntReview
@SkyhighCFC oh wow, saying Kaguya sama actually has "romcom", that's peak irony.

It has comedy, but watching the two main characters "duel" in trying to get the other to confess gets really really old. Wasn't funny the first time, wasn't funny several seasons in.

The show was basically only watchable because of literally every other character.

Hyakkano is actually romantic because of how hard Rentaro actually tries to build up the the romantic relationships, rather than taking it for granted in other harem shows like To Love Ru
@2LongDidntReview I respect your opinion, and I can understand your grief with the 2 main characters not wanting to confess for several seasons. That being said, I couldn't disagree more about Hyakkano being romantic. For starters the romance is forced in the most literal way possible. Not only do Rentarou and his gfs fall in love at first sight almost as if they're brainwashed, but even if there was pushback, it ultimately means nothing because at the end of the day, if he doesn't get together with one of his soulmates they die. There's the illusion of choice, but there really isn't any. I won't bring up realism because ofc this show is far from realistic and it doesn't intend to be realistic in the slightest, but the fact none of the girls ever even question the fact he comes back with a new gf practically every week is certainly a...choice.
Dec 25, 2023 2:31 PM
May 2021
Reply to Valuableexp
@SkyhighCFC I don't think most people just watch it for the comedy. There are those who like it because of its harem aspect and the characters themselves.

In the end, we all have our own preferences and if you don't like it, then fine. I just don't like to see someone telling others to "watch more" or "you haven't seen much" if they disagree with another person's opinion about an anime they like especially if they have some weird tastes themselves just like in your case when you rate Rent A Girlfriend 8.
@Valuableexp If you removed the comedy aspect from the show I'm pretty sure this show would lose 90% of its viewers...just saying. That's not even a slight at the show itself because it clearly leans more into the comedy than the romance. But I definitely think most people watch for the comedy. But I respect your take.
Dec 25, 2023 3:32 PM
Jul 2009
Reply to SkyhighCFC
@2LongDidntReview I respect your opinion, and I can understand your grief with the 2 main characters not wanting to confess for several seasons. That being said, I couldn't disagree more about Hyakkano being romantic. For starters the romance is forced in the most literal way possible. Not only do Rentarou and his gfs fall in love at first sight almost as if they're brainwashed, but even if there was pushback, it ultimately means nothing because at the end of the day, if he doesn't get together with one of his soulmates they die. There's the illusion of choice, but there really isn't any. I won't bring up realism because ofc this show is far from realistic and it doesn't intend to be realistic in the slightest, but the fact none of the girls ever even question the fact he comes back with a new gf practically every week is certainly a...choice.
@SkyhighCFC The illusion of choice. You do realize that applies to real life as well? Would you say that being gay is a choice? Or is it something you're born with? What about seeing someone for the first time and falling in love with them (because their looks match what you're interested in). Is there a choice there, or is that just fate because it's your preference?

Life is mostly an illusion of choice. Once you realize that, you can see why the show is romantic. The girls are destined to fall in love with him, but they can resist, as show by Hahari and Nano. Both of them resisted him until he showed them that he truly loved them.

And Karane questioned about getting a new girl every week, but soon just gave up on it. Everyone else accepted because they are literally the latecomers.
Dec 25, 2023 4:07 PM
May 2021
@SkyhighCFC The illusion of choice. You do realize that applies to real life as well? Would you say that being gay is a choice? Or is it something you're born with? What about seeing someone for the first time and falling in love with them (because their looks match what you're interested in). Is there a choice there, or is that just fate because it's your preference?

Life is mostly an illusion of choice. Once you realize that, you can see why the show is romantic. The girls are destined to fall in love with him, but they can resist, as show by Hahari and Nano. Both of them resisted him until he showed them that he truly loved them.

And Karane questioned about getting a new girl every week, but soon just gave up on it. Everyone else accepted because they are literally the latecomers.
@2LongDidntReview I'm not gonna lie to you...I think your whole "life is mostly an illusion of choice" spiel is honestly a bs excuse to justify the relationships in the show lmao. I'm not saying you have to not like that direction for the show, but comparing the "zing" to seeing someone for the first time and "falling in love with them" is extremely disingenuous. You cannot actually fall in love with somebody you do not know. You can get attracted to and infatuated with someone by simply seeing them, but the act of falling in love happens when you actually get to know that person...something this show skips entirely because of the premise. Nano and Hahari's "resistance" was again artificial because they had already fallen in love with him regardless. The only thing they really resisted was actually going out with him, and in Hahari's case, she still tried "protecting" her daughter. Them being in love with him was NEVER in question.

Also just because the later girlfriends are latecomers doesn't mean they can't question anything. Do you genuinely think that people in poly relationships wouldn't question if their significant other came home with a new girlfriend/boyfriend literally every single week that the entire group has to get to know/used to? Again, I don't expect realism from this show but...
Dec 25, 2023 4:54 PM
Jul 2009
Reply to SkyhighCFC
@2LongDidntReview I'm not gonna lie to you...I think your whole "life is mostly an illusion of choice" spiel is honestly a bs excuse to justify the relationships in the show lmao. I'm not saying you have to not like that direction for the show, but comparing the "zing" to seeing someone for the first time and "falling in love with them" is extremely disingenuous. You cannot actually fall in love with somebody you do not know. You can get attracted to and infatuated with someone by simply seeing them, but the act of falling in love happens when you actually get to know that person...something this show skips entirely because of the premise. Nano and Hahari's "resistance" was again artificial because they had already fallen in love with him regardless. The only thing they really resisted was actually going out with him, and in Hahari's case, she still tried "protecting" her daughter. Them being in love with him was NEVER in question.

Also just because the later girlfriends are latecomers doesn't mean they can't question anything. Do you genuinely think that people in poly relationships wouldn't question if their significant other came home with a new girlfriend/boyfriend literally every single week that the entire group has to get to know/used to? Again, I don't expect realism from this show but...
@SkyhighCFC okay do you think that Kaguya-sama is better in romance? When both in reality know very little about each other because they're always trying to remain professional?
Dec 25, 2023 6:29 PM
May 2021
@SkyhighCFC okay do you think that Kaguya-sama is better in romance? When both in reality know very little about each other because they're always trying to remain professional?
@2LongDidntReview That's the thing though...they started to fall for each other when they each observed the other doing something that spoke to their personalities. They didn't "fall in love at first sight" and especially not because of looks. I'm not saying you have to know someone inside out to fall in love with someone, but at the very least you have to know SOMETHING about that person and their personality. Also, keep in mind that they might not know the most personal secrets about each other, but they definitely know each other well and each other's personalities for the most part. So yes, I do believe Kaguya-sama is better in the romance aspect.
Dec 25, 2023 6:45 PM
Jul 2009
Reply to SkyhighCFC
@2LongDidntReview That's the thing though...they started to fall for each other when they each observed the other doing something that spoke to their personalities. They didn't "fall in love at first sight" and especially not because of looks. I'm not saying you have to know someone inside out to fall in love with someone, but at the very least you have to know SOMETHING about that person and their personality. Also, keep in mind that they might not know the most personal secrets about each other, but they definitely know each other well and each other's personalities for the most part. So yes, I do believe Kaguya-sama is better in the romance aspect.
@SkyhighCFC Here's the thing, you can't just solely fall in love with personalities. Because you have people who you like solely because of their personalities... your friends. But you don't "fall in love with them" now do you? Even though the personality of friends is the most important thing, whereas for a lover it doesn't necessarily have to.

Kaguya sama also falls into the standard anime romance progress of constant bickering. It's almost like everyone has to dislike/misunderstand each other for "romance" to progress. (e.g. Miyuki saying he's going to America)

While everyone gets the "zing", it is only a starting action, not a conclusion. It's literally stated in episode 1 that "if it doesn't come to pass, then bad things happen", i.e. it can fail. They are not "brainwashed".

You should really re-watch the show and compare the actions that Rentaro takes to actually build a bonding relationship with the girls. And then look at Kaguya sama how the two essentially try as hard as possible to ruin any prospects of a relationship.
Dec 26, 2023 5:44 AM
May 2021
@JP88 Saying something doesn't automatically make it convincing. Consider the fact this guy "falls in love" with women he literally just saw for the first time and he knows nothing about. This is the type of show that if he was to get a zing with the female version of Hitler he'd instantly fall for her regardless of anything and she'd do a complete 180 for him lol

Also I never said that the girls never get a reason to fall for him eventually, but it really doesn't matter regardless because they'd love him even without him doing that stuff and if he didn't and they fell out of love with him they'd literally just die.
Dec 26, 2023 6:08 AM
May 2021
@SkyhighCFC Here's the thing, you can't just solely fall in love with personalities. Because you have people who you like solely because of their personalities... your friends. But you don't "fall in love with them" now do you? Even though the personality of friends is the most important thing, whereas for a lover it doesn't necessarily have to.

Kaguya sama also falls into the standard anime romance progress of constant bickering. It's almost like everyone has to dislike/misunderstand each other for "romance" to progress. (e.g. Miyuki saying he's going to America)

While everyone gets the "zing", it is only a starting action, not a conclusion. It's literally stated in episode 1 that "if it doesn't come to pass, then bad things happen", i.e. it can fail. They are not "brainwashed".

You should really re-watch the show and compare the actions that Rentaro takes to actually build a bonding relationship with the girls. And then look at Kaguya sama how the two essentially try as hard as possible to ruin any prospects of a relationship.
@2LongDidntReview Again...I can't exactly buy the prospect of any of the zings failing when there's no real reason for me to believe that any of the relationships will ever fail given what we've seen so far (which is unrealistic in itself). They're not "brainwashed" but again refer to my point about the illusion of choice. None of the conflict of a relationship potentially failing (Nano and Hahari) ever really hit because I knew the plot would find a way for it to work out for Rentarou no matter what. Rentarou is pretty much a Gary Stu that will find a way regardless of anything. He's literally written to be the perfect boyfriend that can please any and every single one of his girlfriends. That in itself also is disingenuous and unorganic.

Kaguya sama definitely has some issues, but it feels more real in the romance aspect than 100 kano by some distance. The "constant bickering" you mention is just realism of typical teenager behavior. It can be annoying to watch, but it is some people's reality, especially for people with personalities like Kaguya and Miyuki. Miyuki saying he's going to America is once again, something that is the reality for a lot of people. Do you understand how many relationships/potential relationships have ended because one of the parties has to/has the desire to leave the country while the other stays? I'm not trying to say that Kaguya sama is the gold standard for realism btw...because it DEFINITELY isn't. There's a LOT of unrealistic aspects in that show as well and a lot of the themes are definitely exaggerated. That being said it's definitely more convincing than 100 Kano where nothing goes too wrong for long.

As for your point about "you don't just fall in love with personalities"...I literally agree with you. I never said that knowing someone's personality means you'll fall in love with them. I also never said that it was all it would take. What I said was that you can't fall in love with someone at first sight when you know absolutely nothing about them. It is absolutely possible to fall in love with someone MOSTLY because of their personality however, and that much is true for the start of Kaguya and Miyuki falling for each other. They fell more in love with each other the more they learned about each other...like natural. That aspect isn't present in 100 Kano. I don't need to rewatch 100 Kano. I already know how Rentarou pretty much finds the perfect way to build up his relationship with the girls and makes them unable to resist him. That's part of my issue with the romance in the show...it's just too perfect and idealized.
Dec 26, 2023 6:31 AM
Jul 2009
Reply to SkyhighCFC
@2LongDidntReview Again...I can't exactly buy the prospect of any of the zings failing when there's no real reason for me to believe that any of the relationships will ever fail given what we've seen so far (which is unrealistic in itself). They're not "brainwashed" but again refer to my point about the illusion of choice. None of the conflict of a relationship potentially failing (Nano and Hahari) ever really hit because I knew the plot would find a way for it to work out for Rentarou no matter what. Rentarou is pretty much a Gary Stu that will find a way regardless of anything. He's literally written to be the perfect boyfriend that can please any and every single one of his girlfriends. That in itself also is disingenuous and unorganic.

Kaguya sama definitely has some issues, but it feels more real in the romance aspect than 100 kano by some distance. The "constant bickering" you mention is just realism of typical teenager behavior. It can be annoying to watch, but it is some people's reality, especially for people with personalities like Kaguya and Miyuki. Miyuki saying he's going to America is once again, something that is the reality for a lot of people. Do you understand how many relationships/potential relationships have ended because one of the parties has to/has the desire to leave the country while the other stays? I'm not trying to say that Kaguya sama is the gold standard for realism btw...because it DEFINITELY isn't. There's a LOT of unrealistic aspects in that show as well and a lot of the themes are definitely exaggerated. That being said it's definitely more convincing than 100 Kano where nothing goes too wrong for long.

As for your point about "you don't just fall in love with personalities"...I literally agree with you. I never said that knowing someone's personality means you'll fall in love with them. I also never said that it was all it would take. What I said was that you can't fall in love with someone at first sight when you know absolutely nothing about them. It is absolutely possible to fall in love with someone MOSTLY because of their personality however, and that much is true for the start of Kaguya and Miyuki falling for each other. They fell more in love with each other the more they learned about each other...like natural. That aspect isn't present in 100 Kano. I don't need to rewatch 100 Kano. I already know how Rentarou pretty much finds the perfect way to build up his relationship with the girls and makes them unable to resist him. That's part of my issue with the romance in the show...it's just too perfect and idealized.
@SkyhighCFC I don't know what you're really looking for in a romance show then. Do you want every relationship to end so it's more realistic? Or that people fight, then stay together because they've built up a co-dependent relationship?

Almost all romance stories involves the lead male and female getting together. If somehow the lack of plot twist turns you off... Then it sends like you're less interested in romance and just the drama.
Dec 26, 2023 6:32 AM

Apr 2015
You really need to watch more romcom's then.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
Dec 26, 2023 10:16 AM
May 2021
@SkyhighCFC I don't know what you're really looking for in a romance show then. Do you want every relationship to end so it's more realistic? Or that people fight, then stay together because they've built up a co-dependent relationship?

Almost all romance stories involves the lead male and female getting together. If somehow the lack of plot twist turns you off... Then it sends like you're less interested in romance and just the drama.
@2LongDidntReview What I want from romances/romcoms depends on the type of show I'm watching. I started 100 Kano because I liked the comedy aspect at the beginning and because it was hyped up to high heavens. The romance aspect was weak for me from episode 1 all the way through for the reasons I stated. 100 kano is as I said before, more of a comedy series than a romance series for me. A series like Kaguya is also arguably more of a comedy than a romance, but I found its romance aspect to be stronger.

Shows like Fuufu Ijou, Horimiya, The dangers in my heart, and Insomniacs after school I watch for a more authentic romance experience where we see the journey it takes for the characters to fall for each other and everything isn't so cut and dry and guaranteed to work out quickly.

Shows like Love after world domination where the couple either gets together early or the show starts with them as a couple I watch for a more wholesome sweet fluffy vibe where the drama is mostly minimal and there's no "will they won't they".

I don't want the relationships to end. I just prefer a more realistic approach. Romance shows that are too idealized and perfect I'm not really the biggest fan of because I'm not particularly interested in watching mary sue's and gary stu's together. Most of the time that's just really boring to me.
Dec 26, 2023 11:18 AM
Jul 2009
Reply to SkyhighCFC
@2LongDidntReview What I want from romances/romcoms depends on the type of show I'm watching. I started 100 Kano because I liked the comedy aspect at the beginning and because it was hyped up to high heavens. The romance aspect was weak for me from episode 1 all the way through for the reasons I stated. 100 kano is as I said before, more of a comedy series than a romance series for me. A series like Kaguya is also arguably more of a comedy than a romance, but I found its romance aspect to be stronger.

Shows like Fuufu Ijou, Horimiya, The dangers in my heart, and Insomniacs after school I watch for a more authentic romance experience where we see the journey it takes for the characters to fall for each other and everything isn't so cut and dry and guaranteed to work out quickly.

Shows like Love after world domination where the couple either gets together early or the show starts with them as a couple I watch for a more wholesome sweet fluffy vibe where the drama is mostly minimal and there's no "will they won't they".

I don't want the relationships to end. I just prefer a more realistic approach. Romance shows that are too idealized and perfect I'm not really the biggest fan of because I'm not particularly interested in watching mary sue's and gary stu's together. Most of the time that's just really boring to me.
@SkyhighCFC Horimiya is more like a slice of life romance. It's a lot more tame but still enjoyable.

The dangers of my heart is kind of the run of the mill shy/awkward boy somehow ends up with the most popular girl. The guy basically just exists, and the girl likes him for no real reason.

Insomniacs after school feels more like a coming of age story with some romance, although I kinda skipped the end a bit since it was getting boring.

Hyakkano is more like a mix of Love after world domination, and fuufu ijou (I didn't watch it because it seemed boring), in that you're there for the wholesome vibes and you know that they're going to be together.

You can't tell me that Rentaro creating a text-to-speech app for Shizuka wasn't romantic, nor going on a date with Nano and teaching her that life isn't all about efficiency isn't romantic either.

What did Kaguya and Miyuki really do for each other that you would call romantic?
Dec 26, 2023 12:30 PM
May 2021
@SkyhighCFC Horimiya is more like a slice of life romance. It's a lot more tame but still enjoyable.

The dangers of my heart is kind of the run of the mill shy/awkward boy somehow ends up with the most popular girl. The guy basically just exists, and the girl likes him for no real reason.

Insomniacs after school feels more like a coming of age story with some romance, although I kinda skipped the end a bit since it was getting boring.

Hyakkano is more like a mix of Love after world domination, and fuufu ijou (I didn't watch it because it seemed boring), in that you're there for the wholesome vibes and you know that they're going to be together.

You can't tell me that Rentaro creating a text-to-speech app for Shizuka wasn't romantic, nor going on a date with Nano and teaching her that life isn't all about efficiency isn't romantic either.

What did Kaguya and Miyuki really do for each other that you would call romantic?
@2LongDidntReview Did you watch the last season of Kaguya and the movie that dropped this year? Those would answer your last question.

As for Rentarou creating the text to speech app for Shizuka and the date with Nano...yes those were romantic and they were really good moments for Rentarou...but I was never saying that he had none of those moments. The show is FILLED with similar moments. But that's what makes him a Gary Stu. He doesn't have any real faults and it just feels...plastic and artificial. If you were to create "the perfect boyfriend" in a lab, something very close to Rentarou would come out. That concept while I can understand why people would like it...just isn't for me. It's just boring imo.

Your criticism of Dangers of my heart is interesting though. On the extreme surface level, people would agree with you. But if you actually look at their relationship carefully, the guy is constantly looking out for her and helping her in some way. On top of that, he's one of the few guys that built a genuine relationship up with her without any ulterior motives. It also needs to be pointed out she didn't instantly fall for him. She only started to fall for him after she realized just how much attention he paid to her and just how much he cared about her. At first she was more than satisfied with just being his friend.
Dec 26, 2023 1:43 PM
Jul 2009
Reply to SkyhighCFC
@2LongDidntReview Did you watch the last season of Kaguya and the movie that dropped this year? Those would answer your last question.

As for Rentarou creating the text to speech app for Shizuka and the date with Nano...yes those were romantic and they were really good moments for Rentarou...but I was never saying that he had none of those moments. The show is FILLED with similar moments. But that's what makes him a Gary Stu. He doesn't have any real faults and it just feels...plastic and artificial. If you were to create "the perfect boyfriend" in a lab, something very close to Rentarou would come out. That concept while I can understand why people would like it...just isn't for me. It's just boring imo.

Your criticism of Dangers of my heart is interesting though. On the extreme surface level, people would agree with you. But if you actually look at their relationship carefully, the guy is constantly looking out for her and helping her in some way. On top of that, he's one of the few guys that built a genuine relationship up with her without any ulterior motives. It also needs to be pointed out she didn't instantly fall for him. She only started to fall for him after she realized just how much attention he paid to her and just how much he cared about her. At first she was more than satisfied with just being his friend.
@SkyhighCFC I can see why you're not as fond of the "gary stu" romance characters, but I'd argue that Rentaro isn't really. "gary stu" romance characters are more like Rito from To Love Ru, who basically exists and all the girls fawn over him. He's a nice guy to a fault and does the bare minimum that gets the girls even more in love with him.

Hyakkano is a story about 100 girls, so having each girl somehow have a slow development like "Dangers of my heart" is going to be really slow and boring. It's largely a pardoy, you've probably seen enough romcoms or romance shows in general. You want to see the unique scenarios that Rentaro has to overcome. It would be like going through an in-depth tutorial of an FPS game where you just move and shoot things, when you already know the general controls. You'd rather just jump into the actual game and see the unique aspects.

My main issue with Dangers of my heart is that his interest in murders or whatever serves almost no purpose except to show "he's an awkward guy of the class", except he isn't really since other people talk to him normally. Maybe the romance is a bit better than I remember, since I did not find it enjoyable.

Whereas I enjoyed "Suki na Ko" a lot more, because the guy was honest about his feelings from day 1, and the awkward and bashful interactions feel relatable and realistic (even if it's highly exaggerated).
Dec 26, 2023 2:04 PM
May 2020
i would like to thank everyone who posted in this thread, for me liking or not liking a show like this is mostly about personal preference and reading through some of the posts here i figured out this show is definitely not for me
Dec 26, 2023 3:10 PM
May 2021
@SkyhighCFC I can see why you're not as fond of the "gary stu" romance characters, but I'd argue that Rentaro isn't really. "gary stu" romance characters are more like Rito from To Love Ru, who basically exists and all the girls fawn over him. He's a nice guy to a fault and does the bare minimum that gets the girls even more in love with him.

Hyakkano is a story about 100 girls, so having each girl somehow have a slow development like "Dangers of my heart" is going to be really slow and boring. It's largely a pardoy, you've probably seen enough romcoms or romance shows in general. You want to see the unique scenarios that Rentaro has to overcome. It would be like going through an in-depth tutorial of an FPS game where you just move and shoot things, when you already know the general controls. You'd rather just jump into the actual game and see the unique aspects.

My main issue with Dangers of my heart is that his interest in murders or whatever serves almost no purpose except to show "he's an awkward guy of the class", except he isn't really since other people talk to him normally. Maybe the romance is a bit better than I remember, since I did not find it enjoyable.

Whereas I enjoyed "Suki na Ko" a lot more, because the guy was honest about his feelings from day 1, and the awkward and bashful interactions feel relatable and realistic (even if it's highly exaggerated).
@2LongDidntReview No I absolutely agree with you that taking the slow burn approach in this show would absolutely not be the right choice. Like you said there's 100 girlfriends. The series would never end if the slow burn approach was taken. I only brought up shows like Dangers in my heart to echo my point about what I'm looking for in romance depends on the type of show.

As for dangers in my heart...I can see where you're coming from, but I think the last episode of season 1 showed us the purpose of him showing an interest in murders. It was to create a wall around himself so he'd have an excuse for him being a loner and not fitting in. He definitely is an introvert and he IS awkward, but he massively undersold himself because of his past trauma and depression over not making it into the school he wanted to with his 2 best friends. So I don't necessarily agree that it didn't serve a purpose. It can however be argued that his "trauma" from that experience I mentioned isn't deep enough to warrant that approach he took, but I'm an anime only so maybe there's more to that backstory than what was initially presented, because keep in mind, we only saw glimpses of it. There could definitely be more to it
Dec 27, 2023 8:25 AM
Dec 2023
It saddens me to see how far romcom has fallen also lol at " recency baise" the Op wrote.
Dec 27, 2023 8:28 AM

Sep 2018
My favs romcoms are
School rumble
Ah my goddess
TWGoK
Dec 27, 2023 4:22 PM
Jul 2009
Reply to SkyhighCFC
@2LongDidntReview No I absolutely agree with you that taking the slow burn approach in this show would absolutely not be the right choice. Like you said there's 100 girlfriends. The series would never end if the slow burn approach was taken. I only brought up shows like Dangers in my heart to echo my point about what I'm looking for in romance depends on the type of show.

As for dangers in my heart...I can see where you're coming from, but I think the last episode of season 1 showed us the purpose of him showing an interest in murders. It was to create a wall around himself so he'd have an excuse for him being a loner and not fitting in. He definitely is an introvert and he IS awkward, but he massively undersold himself because of his past trauma and depression over not making it into the school he wanted to with his 2 best friends. So I don't necessarily agree that it didn't serve a purpose. It can however be argued that his "trauma" from that experience I mentioned isn't deep enough to warrant that approach he took, but I'm an anime only so maybe there's more to that backstory than what was initially presented, because keep in mind, we only saw glimpses of it. There could definitely be more to it
@SkyhighCFC IMO, that's why Yahari is much more interesting for me. The guy is similarly a loner (without the unnecessary unique point) and a cynic, and the way he interacts with the world is more interesting, as he is forced to be "inside" certain social groups while being an outsider.
Dec 27, 2023 9:47 PM
Oct 2020
Agree. Watching this makes me realize how bad those harem-bait shows like Gotoubun were. At least in this show, they won't just throw in bunch of girls just to create meaningless drama, lengthen the plot and then throw them away in the end. Unlike 90% other romcoms, this one is much more efficient and won't take hundreds of chapter for 2 MCs going around the confession.
Chaotic comedy is also a highlight.
KhkieDec 27, 2023 9:58 PM
Dec 27, 2023 9:59 PM

Aug 2016
one of the best romcoms in anime? maybe... and then you have manga
:v
Dec 28, 2023 6:10 AM
May 2021
@JP88 You misunderstood what I said. I never said Rentarou was a liar. When I said "saying something doesn't automatically make it convincing", I was referring to the narrative itself. What Rentarou is saying is true because the narrative allows it to be true. In reality it's pretty much bs because like I already told someone in the thread before...you cannot fall in love with someone simply by making eye contact. It's however possible due to the narrative of this show and that's part of what I don't like about it.
Dec 28, 2023 6:11 AM
May 2021
Reply to Khkie
Agree. Watching this makes me realize how bad those harem-bait shows like Gotoubun were. At least in this show, they won't just throw in bunch of girls just to create meaningless drama, lengthen the plot and then throw them away in the end. Unlike 90% other romcoms, this one is much more efficient and won't take hundreds of chapter for 2 MCs going around the confession.
Chaotic comedy is also a highlight.
@Khkie You do realize that a big part of the appeal of shows like Gotoubun IS the drama right? Just say the drama isn't for you. Just like how the drama isn't for you, some people find shows like this more boring and that's fine. One type of show focusing on something else doesn't make it inherently worse than the other that focuses on something else.
Dec 28, 2023 8:45 PM
Jun 2023

@2LongDidntReview lmao don't compare this shit to goat romance like dangers in my heart, that anime was the best romance in the last few years with one of the most realistic progress and there's nothing forced here, while this anime hyakkano is a disgrace to all romance anime, all the girl is literally brainwashed by the God and they instantly fall in love with the mc when they seeing each other, the mc literally has no effort. You probably didn't even understand dangers in my heart if you said the girl fall in love with mc without a reason. Also you saying that mid cringe anime like sukinako is better than dangers in my heart show how sucks is your taste.
Dec 28, 2023 9:23 PM
Jul 2009
Reply to Johntyson31
@2LongDidntReview lmao don't compare this shit to goat romance like dangers in my heart, that anime was the best romance in the last few years with one of the most realistic progress and there's nothing forced here, while this anime hyakkano is a disgrace to all romance anime, all the girl is literally brainwashed by the God and they instantly fall in love with the mc when they seeing each other, the mc literally has no effort. You probably didn't even understand dangers in my heart if you said the girl fall in love with mc without a reason. Also you saying that mid cringe anime like sukinako is better than dangers in my heart show how sucks is your taste.
@Johntyson31 ah the self insert liker.

Yes, yes you're socially awkward and have social anxiety, and if the girls you liked would only give you a chance you would show them how great a boyfriend you are.

But sorry, girls don't like it when guys play guess the hint. You need to man up and do things to show your masculinity like rentaro. You won't get there by talking at a whisper level and deluding scenarios that never happen.

Sukinako is not for everyone and I understand. It was just fun for me because it's relatable.
Dec 28, 2023 10:21 PM
Jun 2023
@Johntyson31 ah the self insert liker.

Yes, yes you're socially awkward and have social anxiety, and if the girls you liked would only give you a chance you would show them how great a boyfriend you are.

But sorry, girls don't like it when guys play guess the hint. You need to man up and do things to show your masculinity like rentaro. You won't get there by talking at a whisper level and deluding scenarios that never happen.

Sukinako is not for everyone and I understand. It was just fun for me because it's relatable.
@2LongDidntReview "self insert liker"isn't it perfect for yourself, trying to imagine you have a harem with 100 girl without an effort and act cool in front of your harem, what a wet dream from teenager.
Johntyson31Dec 28, 2023 10:25 PM
Dec 29, 2023 2:12 PM
Jul 2009
Reply to Johntyson31
@2LongDidntReview "self insert liker"isn't it perfect for yourself, trying to imagine you have a harem with 100 girl without an effort and act cool in front of your harem, what a wet dream from teenager.
@Johntyson31 lol, my self-insert is more of hentai, where it's even more low effort and high reward.

But I guess you're not denying your social awkwardness and social anxiety.

I don't think anymore needs be said.
Jan 15, 8:59 PM
Jul 2013
This is underrated by people who don't like harem on MAL, but thankfully Japan knows better.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2023

181 by LastLuminescence »»
Sep 25, 9:20 PM

Poll: » Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2023

166 by ebiiwewok »»
Sep 25, 11:24 AM

Poll: » Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2023

205 by L0ken »»
Sep 16, 11:22 PM

Poll: » Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2023

192 by Milo980 »»
Sep 15, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2023

293 by Bitchcoin »»
Sep 10, 6:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.