Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 7, 2023 3:18 PM
Oct 2015
Which is the better source? Does the anime cover everything?
Apr 16, 2023 10:15 AM

Mar 2008
The animé is a pretty close adaptation. The manga had already ended long before the animé aired (about 8-9 months), so they had plenty of time to adapt the original story fully and it shows. The biggest difference I found is that the animé left out a huge chunk of the hentaish content that the manga contained. Cutting all that crap out made episodes 9 and 12 much better than their manga counterparts. This is why I have the animé rated 8 and the manga 6. It's one of the very rare instances where I feel that the adaptation is significantly better than the original. That 60 page sex scene (I counted) in volume 7 really hurt my rating for the manga.
Jul 9, 2023 1:12 AM
boop boop

Mar 2018
Quintessence said:
The animé is a pretty close adaptation. The manga had already ended long before the animé aired (about 8-9 months), so they had plenty of time to adapt the original story fully and it shows. The biggest difference I found is that the animé left out a huge chunk of the hentaish content that the manga contained. Cutting all that crap out made episodes 9 and 12 much better than their manga counterparts. This is why I have the animé rated 8 and the manga 6. It's one of the very rare instances where I feel that the adaptation is significantly better than the original. That 60 page sex scene (I counted) in volume 7 really hurt my rating for the manga.
I wonder why so many people rated the manga higher than the anime then
I just found this today and defo wanted to read it, but the rather meh rating from the anime is kinda putting me off from watching it
死だけが確実
Jul 9, 2023 7:45 AM

Mar 2008
KingSlowDown said:
Quintessence said:
I just found this today and defo wanted to read it, but the rather meh rating from the anime is kinda putting me off from watching it
Animé: 37K users
Manga: 5K users

There's a huge gap between viewers and readers. I doubt very many on here read the manga before watching the animé. So most of those 5K readers are people who saw the animé and liked what they saw and then read the manga after and also liked that. The people bringing the animé rating down are not likely to read the manga and bring that rating down too.

If you're unsure about the series, the biggest complaint people have is the war. It's incredibly far fetched and they never explain anything about it. Considering it's the driving force of the entire story I can understand why it would rub people the wrong way. Some people also get annoyed with the characters. This I don't understand. The story may be far fetched, but the characters are real and relatable. It reminds me a lot of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien where you have ordinary, flawed people thrust into an incredibly extraordinary situation and are struggling mightily to emotionally cope with it and constantly messing up because of it.
Sep 5, 2023 3:32 AM
Oct 2015
Reply to Quintessence
@Quintessence

why? does the sex scene detract from the original in anyway? I get mood wiplash but if your getting triggered by a sex scene I want to know why, is it like that wolf manga by the akumetsu author where the protagonist gets raped for 30 chapters in a row or somethign?
Sep 5, 2023 3:32 AM
Oct 2015
Reply to Quintessence
KingSlowDown said:
Quintessence said:
Animé: 37K users
Manga: 5K users

There's a huge gap between viewers and readers. I doubt very many on here read the manga before watching the animé. So most of those 5K readers are people who saw the animé and liked what they saw and then read the manga after and also liked that. The people bringing the animé rating down are not likely to read the manga and bring that rating down too.

If you're unsure about the series, the biggest complaint people have is the war. It's incredibly far fetched and they never explain anything about it. Considering it's the driving force of the entire story I can understand why it would rub people the wrong way. Some people also get annoyed with the characters. This I don't understand. The story may be far fetched, but the characters are real and relatable. It reminds me a lot of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien where you have ordinary, flawed people thrust into an incredibly extraordinary situation and are struggling mightily to emotionally cope with it and constantly messing up because of it.
@Quintessence

but is the story of the manga and anime the same?

is the war explained better in the manga?
Sep 5, 2023 5:49 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to Neostorm-X
@Quintessence

why? does the sex scene detract from the original in anyway? I get mood wiplash but if your getting triggered by a sex scene I want to know why, is it like that wolf manga by the akumetsu author where the protagonist gets raped for 30 chapters in a row or somethign?
@Neostorm-X There is no rape in SaiKano. Adultery, but no rape. I'm not "triggered" by it, I was just incredibly annoyed by it because of it's awful placement and that it just never seemed to end. It happens during 2 of the most emotional scenes in the series and it really blunts the impact of both scenes. The first one wasn't even a sex scene (I don't think, it wasn't in the animé), they just took what was an incredibly emotional scene and ruined it by constant groping and talking about her breasts. The scene was much shorter in the animé. They made it so that it was tasteful. That 60 page scene I mentioned in volume 7 just kept piling on the sex jokes while they did it THREE times. This is the end of the manga. It's supposed to be really emotional. Yet they keep throwing in jokes about Chise's "functionality". Cutting all of that stuff out improved the last episode of the animé immensely. That scene did NOT need 60 f'ing pages of nothing but sex and sex jokes.
Sep 5, 2023 5:55 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to Neostorm-X
@Quintessence

but is the story of the manga and anime the same?

is the war explained better in the manga?
@Neostorm-X It's been over 15 years since I read and watched SaiKano so I can't say for sure, but I believe all of the major parts of the manga were animated and it ended exactly the same (just with a much shorter, and barely shown, sex scene). I'm pretty sure the war was never explained. The main characters didn't even know the severity of it until it finally came to the shores of Hokkaido.

More topics from this board

Poll: » SaiKano Chapter 72 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Sep 6, 2011

6 by TitanInsane »»
Apr 2, 2022 10:51 PM

Poll: » SaiKano Chapter 8 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Sep 4, 2011

2 by AngelMoncada »»
Aug 4, 2020 11:11 AM

Poll: » SaiKano Chapter 15 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Sep 4, 2011

2 by sddsdd »»
Jun 2, 2015 3:39 AM

Poll: » SaiKano Chapter 71 Discussion

1 by StevenHu »»
Jan 2, 2015 9:35 PM

Poll: » SaiKano Chapter 70 Discussion

1 by StevenHu »»
Jan 2, 2015 9:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.