Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Why Raeliana Ended Up at the Duke's Mansion
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 13, 2023 11:34 PM
Jun 2021
Well Japanese localization strikes again! Though I'm curious why MAL chose to use the JP text instead of the og. Although the thing about Raphelia is that there is no reason to switch to Japan other than nationalism unlike Solo Leveling which I disagree with but I can understand. I may come off as woke but this kinda thing bothers me considering these countries history (it spans back really far). I'm very much assuming it was to appeal to the JP audience who may not want to touch something that has to do with Korea because well nationalism. Thoughts?
Apr 14, 2023 8:00 AM

Jan 2009
HanBoitheLamb said:
Well Japanese localization strikes again! Though I'm curious why MAL chose to use the JP text instead of the og. Although the thing about Raphelia is that there is no reason to switch to Japan other than nationalism unlike Solo Leveling which I disagree with but I can understand. I may come off as woke but this kinda thing bothers me considering these countries history (it spans back really far). I'm very much assuming it was to appeal to the JP audience who may not want to touch something that has to do with Korea because well nationalism. Thoughts?
It would have been a much bigger problem to do it in solo leveling as alot of the story works around the mc being well, korean(the jeju island inident comes to mind).

In this case her previous life plays little part in the story 
so they can get away with it much easier.

As for why they did it, why did the ghost in the shell movie use scarlett johanneson instead of a asian woman?
Because it was a westernized version of the series, this goes both ways, japan has done this with american works as well.
South korea probably has their own examples, but i can't say much on that.
TatsuyaApr 14, 2023 8:03 AM
Apr 14, 2023 8:34 AM
Jun 2021
Tatsuya said:
HanBoitheLamb said:
It would have been a much bigger problem to do it in solo leveling as alot of the story works around the mc being well, korean(the jeju island inident comes to mind).

As for why they did it, why did the ghost in the shell movie use scarlett johanneson instead of a asian woman?
Because it was a westernized version of the series, this goes both ways, japan has done this with american works as well.

again, the name change is fine. westernization doesn't really say much here since the 2 countries have really similar audiences. They're probably just using the chinese character reading of the korean name and localizing that into japanese makes sense to me. but the location change was a little odd and what kinda ticked my gears. Solo Leveling to me is more excusable because of the obvious nationalistic tendencies the novel and the manhwa had
Apr 14, 2023 12:00 PM

Jan 2009
HanBoitheLamb said:
Tatsuya said:

again, the name change is fine. westernization doesn't really say much here since the 2 countries have really similar audiences. They're probably just using the chinese character reading of the korean name and localizing that into japanese makes sense to me. but the location change was a little odd and what kinda ticked my gears. Solo Leveling to me is more excusable because of the obvious nationalistic tendencies the novel and the manhwa had
And like i said this isn't a new thing nor is it uncommon worldwide, heck it's not even uncommon among western nations, alot of people don't know this but there were attempts to make americanized versions of red dwarf and doctor who, both of which have english language versions and very large followings on both sides of the atlantic, but they tried to make a american version, both failed, but my point is this is a VERY common occurance even today.
In japan's case this goes back at least to the 70's and 80's with some of their anime being "westernized" in the west, probably some famous ones are voltron and gatchaman, both of which changed the names and locations of the series, this also shows what's likely to happen with this series in south korea, more than likely in the korean sub and dub it will be the original definition because with anime you can do that easily, it's harder to do that with shows.
The versions we're gonna get over here is going to be the japanese version and it was localized for japan, the korean version will likely be the original location and if there's a chinese version don't be surprised if it's changed once again, while relocating has fallen out of favor in the west this is still quite common in asia.
Apr 14, 2023 4:01 PM
Apr 2023
Japan, Korean, Chinese tend to localize name when enter local market.
The names are official far before anime announcement, actually already happened from the moment the novel and manhwa entered Japan market in 2019. Anime only continue to use it. Even D&C (Korean original publisher) used it in the trailer for Japan market. They even have official name in Chinese.
Korea : Park Eunha
Japan : Hanasaki Rinko
Chinese : Pu Yinhe

I ever read an article why Japan, Korea, Chinese tend to change / localize character name.
That's to help reader / viewer to remember and has connectivity to story better.
Some of them, especially the older generation, difficult to remember / pronounce other language.
So when overseas book, movies, games enter local market, they not only just translating, but also transliterating, so reader / viewer can caught it better.
Apr 15, 2023 8:37 PM

Dec 2016
HanBoitheLamb said:

These decisions are usually made by the ip holder, my guess is the korean publisher wants to give their products the greatest chance to succeed and this is an easy way to do that. Korean otaku media don’t have a proven track record outside of Korea. By obscuring the origins you can get people who wouldn’t otherwise be interested to check out the product. Most korean webtoons get localized to take place in japan and character names usually get changed to Japanese ones. This is the same reason why ashs name in Pokemon is ash and not satoshi outside of Japan. Maybe in the future this will change like it did for Japanese anime, but for now it will continue for the foreseeable future.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kanojo ga Koushaku-tei ni Itta Riyuu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 15, 2023

80 by MeguriRapture »»
Oct 12, 8:42 PM

» more anime/manga/manwha like this?

Kitsune_089 - Oct 8

22 by Kalidechicle »»
Oct 12, 8:37 PM

Poll: » Kanojo ga Koushaku-tei ni Itta Riyuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2023

96 by MaahHeim »»
Oct 9, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Kanojo ga Koushaku-tei ni Itta Riyuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2023

61 by MaahHeim »»
Oct 9, 12:31 AM

Poll: » Kanojo ga Koushaku-tei ni Itta Riyuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

51 by WolfWood37 »»
Sep 16, 12:45 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.