Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 7, 2021 11:30 PM
Oct 2015
I always wondered why this was a shojo, I mean it is published on an obscure shojo magazine, which is saturated with romance genre works, and readers of that magazine would be likely a bad demographic to appeal to for a series. Now i'm not saying that girls don't like reading deep stuff with lots of world building, but Im actually thinking this would be far more along the likes of a seinen or soft seinen series, the first thing that comes to mind is Made in Abyss. the world building and contrast between the innocent characters and darker themes really have similarities, same with hunter x hunter and shinsekai yori, with a young naive protagonist with a coming of age story,
I sometimes feel that the violence and darker themes of this manga would have been far more appealing if it was lets say, on magazines like "Harta" "Afternoon" or "Evening"
especially harta, which most of the works on it being similar in nature.

honestly I understand the author probably had connections with the magazine and got her submission accepted but, I really would imagine an alternative universe where, this got submitted to something like bessatsu shounen or something and became the new attack on titan or hunter x hunter or something.
Jul 7, 2021 11:33 PM
Oct 2015
OH speaking of which, I notice that umeda attempted to do a series on shounen champion,
which was interesting, not sure if it got canceled or ended quick because it lasted like 7 volumes.

I wonder what made her switch to a shojo magazine for this series,
I really wish this manga was more commercially successful since the anime did horrendous and it likely isn't ever getting a brother hood or hxh 2011 treatment.

can't help but think this manga would be as popular as made in abyss if this was simply marketed better
Dec 10, 2022 10:51 PM

Mar 2017
Shoujo is not a genre, it's just a demographic to be marketed towards. There are a bunch of shoujo manga that you could confuse for being seinen or shounen because there isn't a hard line between a shounen story and a shoujo story. X and Rose of Versailles are both shoujo stories but have quite a bit of violence in them (X gets quite gorey and I actually thought it was a seinen when I was reading it).

Much like shounen manga, it's a wide range of expression. There are different genres of shounen - there's battle shounen, gag comedies, sci fi, a bunch of different styles. Death Note is a shounen but could have easily published as a seinen. Tokyo Ghoul is a seinen but other than the gore, it really doesn't do much differently from standard shounen. Berserk is a seinen but the characters and emotional storytelling is strongly influenced by classic shoujo manga.

The line between shoujo and shounen are arbitrary and aren't a hard rule at all. The only thing they describe is rough trends of what girls and boys of different ages TEND to like, but it's never 100% accurate.
Jun 10, 2023 2:15 PM
Aug 2018
I'd be liable to agree, but the reason it is in the shoujo demographic is probably due to the sheer abundance of bishounens, not typically seen in shounen and seinen.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Chapter 99 Discussion

Seiya0890 - May 13, 2023

7 by Seiya0890 »»
Mar 26, 1:34 PM

» How many chapters is this manga?

Deanomac2010 - Jan 31

0 by Deanomac2010 »»
Jan 31, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Chapter 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2015

3 by TimeFliesAway »»
May 7, 2023 12:20 PM

» Should I drop it?

number_66 - Jan 29, 2023

1 by ColinCrane »»
Feb 16, 2023 11:50 AM

» ongoing?

Ivanh0571 - Nov 14, 2021

6 by ColinCrane »»
Dec 6, 2022 2:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.