Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 7, 2022 8:12 PM
Dec 2019
The anime had a great concept but it felt like a shell of the story it could've been. The live action, on the other hand, has answered every single of my criticisms with the anime and did justice to this amazing story.

I’m going to go over everything that the live action does better than the anime

RecynonMay 9, 2023 3:17 PM
Aug 8, 2022 12:07 AM
Apr 2021
I really wish more than just the first two books were translated into English and released over here. I think this is from a 12 novel series as the original source material.
Aug 26, 2022 11:27 PM

Feb 2016
Of course the live action is better. There's no way the anime wouldn't be worse with the way the writers make up stuff to stretch a single book over 26 episodes. The Deer King is also better than this anime. People only watched Moribito because it came out before the novel it's based on was translated. Now that The Beast Player novels have been fully translated into English, there is no reason for anyone to bother with its anime.
その目だれの目?
Aug 27, 2022 12:04 AM
Dec 2019
Lucifrost said:
Of course the live action is better. There's no way the anime wouldn't be worse with the way the writers make up stuff to stretch a single book over 26 episodes. The Deer King is also better than this anime. People only watched Moribito because it came out before the novel it's based on was translated. Now that The Beast Player novels have been fully translated into English, there is no reason for anyone to bother with its anime.

You would think, but I thought I was suffering from cognitive dissonance with the way people were talking about how amazing the added content was and how nuanced the relationship between Balsa and Chagum was. Am I missing something here? Is it really THAT subtle?

And yeah it's a travesty what they did to Erin. In both cases here I think they made a mistake trying to sugarcoat the story for a younger audience. I wonder if you see the same pattern (the slow-ass pacing is obviously the same though).

I had actually completely glossed over the Deer King until you brought it up. Didn't know the author had three anime productions. Doesn't seem to have good reception though.
Aug 27, 2022 6:57 AM

Feb 2016
Recynon said:
I had actually completely glossed over the Deer King until you brought it up. Didn't know the author had three anime productions. Doesn't seem to have good reception though.

If you read the movie's negative reviews, you'll see detractors complaining the pace is too fast. They want filler.
I don't think you have to worry about sugarcoating, as The Deer King is a fairly violent movie.
その目だれの目?
May 22, 2023 7:24 PM
May 2023
I have not seen the live action show but the way you describe its rendition of the mikado and the head star reader just sounds like 100% predictable, textbook villainy, and thus to me far more generic than what the anime offers.

Personally, one of my favourite things about the anime is specifically the fact that the mikado, the star readers and the warriors were ultimately just people trying to do their best working within the systems they were a part of and with the limited / degraded information that they had access to (remember the theme of imperial propaganda and how it damaged even the higher servants' understanding of history). When their understanding was challenged, they actually thought it over and mended their ways -- realistically at that, not in that stupid shounen cliche of "oh you beat me so I guess I was wrong and I'm gonna be your follower now".

Recynon said:
In general, comparing the anime to the live action version makes it quite apparent that the creators of the anime went out of their way to tailor the story for kids, making it all prim and proper, and by doing so they held it back.
It's actually the novel itself that is quite kid friendly to begin with. With that in mind, though it expands some stuff, the anime is far more accurate tonally than the drama you describe. Again I haven't seen it but from your descriptions of the changes it just sounds to me like riding the coattails of Game of Thrones, The Witcher, and whatever other edgy fantasy is popular with brainrotted westoids who seem to believe that excessive melodrama and violence somehow constitutes depth and realism as they inject it into their veins like junkies, seemingly unable to appreciate anything more mellow and nuanced.

And yes I did enjoy a lot of the TV show's additions, but then again I'm also a fan of Aria, Haibane, Kino etc. so it might be a taste/genre thing. YMMV.
May 22, 2023 8:46 PM
Dec 2019
RoadsidePicnic said:
I have not seen the live action show but the way you describe its rendition of the mikado and the head star reader just sounds like 100% predictable, textbook villainy, and thus to me far more generic than what the anime offers.

Personally, one of my favourite things about the anime is specifically the fact that the mikado, the star readers and the warriors were ultimately just people trying to do their best working within the systems they were a part of and with the limited / degraded information that they had access to (remember the theme of imperial propaganda and how it damaged even the higher servants' understanding of history). When their understanding was challenged, they actually thought it over and mended their ways -- realistically at that, not in that stupid shounen cliche of "oh you beat me so I guess I was wrong and I'm gonna be your follower now".

Recynon said:
In general, comparing the anime to the live action version makes it quite apparent that the creators of the anime went out of their way to tailor the story for kids, making it all prim and proper, and by doing so they held it back.
It's actually the novel itself that is quite kid friendly to begin with. With that in mind, though it expands some stuff, the anime is far more accurate tonally than the drama you describe. Again I haven't seen it but from your descriptions of the changes it just sounds to me like riding the coattails of Game of Thrones, The Witcher, and whatever other edgy fantasy is popular with brainrotted westoids who seem to believe that excessive melodrama and violence somehow constitutes depth and realism as they inject it into their veins like junkies, seemingly unable to appreciate anything more mellow and nuanced.

And yes I did enjoy a lot of the TV show's additions, but then again I'm also a fan of Aria, Haibane, Kino etc. so it might be a taste/genre thing. YMMV.

First of all, I appreciate your thought-out response. 

Secondly, I think I'm making the live action seem like GOT in my post because I'm contrasting it with the anime. Relative to the anime, which is mellow, the live action is grittier. However, I am also not someone who enjoys watching gritty fantasies like GOT or The Witcher, for precisely the reason that you mentioned: too edgy. But no, the live action is nowhere close to being too edgy, having excessive melodrama, and being too violent. It still maintains that "everyone doing their best with the info they have" thing while being grittier than the anime. And also, from what I can tell (I haven't seen much of western fantasy), the characters in shows like GOT are darker, but they are not less nuanced. And for that matter, I don't think characters like Shuga and Chagum, being as pure as they are, are nuanced. Although I don't agree with the dark approach of these western fantasy shows you cite, the anime is guilty of going too far in the opposite direction. In particular, episode 13 weasels its way out of having Balsa confront her no-killing rule. In another example, the soldiers chasing Chagum are easily dismissed by a single speech from Torogai. 

And to be clear, I have no particular gripe with a lack of an especially villainous antagonist. However, in most cases, depending on the series, I'd still require that the story has tension/struggle/conflict coming from SOMEWHERE. The anime has slow pacing and a lack of threat, so there's no tension from the plot. There isn't a of interpersonal conflict. There isn't a lot of intrapersonal conflict (the characters don't struggle much with their internal weaknesses). So little tension from the characters. There doesn't need to be a lot of tension, but more than was shown in the anime, where it felt like it felt like there was an active effort to water down things. The novel is indeed for kids, but the anime made it even more so. For example Chagum isn't as perfect as he is in the anime. He gets actually pouts for a while when he learns of his fate. There's also no scene where he runs away only for Balsa to reassure him of her love for him. Also, the addition of the middle portions by the anime slowed the pacing in a way that also made the story feel more saccharine, since Chagum is treated to an extended stretch of comfort before he learns of his fate, as opposed to learning of his ghastly fate shortly after Balsa gets injured protecting him. So I wouldn't say the anime is more tonally accurate, especially if you said that thinking that the live action is akin to GOT. 

As for the Emperor and the Star Reader, I don't agree that they show textbook villainy, but I encourage you to watch the first season of the live action for yourself. It's only 4 1 hour episodes and it's free on Amazon. 

And it probably is, in large part, a genre taste thing. But I'd also argue that the show calls for more tension/struggle because of the way it's set up; the fate of an entire kingdom is at stake, the life of one of the main characters could be lost, and powerful forces of nature are at play. The tension/struggle is low RELATIVE to how big the  scale/themes/threat level are. 
RecynonMay 22, 2023 9:13 PM
Jul 6, 2023 2:51 AM
Jan 2018
The novels the show is based on is aimed at the shonen demographic , kids etc.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Aug 23, 2007

61 by Safrichh »»
Oct 16, 9:08 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 18 Discussion

mild_even - Aug 14, 2007

34 by Safrichh »»
Oct 11, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ashura - Aug 9, 2007

51 by Safrichh »»
Oct 5, 8:45 PM

» What do you think of Seirei no Moribito?

medicalmidget - Aug 19, 2011

16 by TransferUser »»
Sep 23, 11:00 AM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 16 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jul 31, 2007

47 by Safrichh »»
Sep 21, 7:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.