Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 26, 2022 2:56 AM
Aug 2020
There's just a thing I realized about this kind of characters. Because I've been seeing people talk about how Yuuki isn't really like a MC but more of a side character. But I just think that there might be something like 'Empty-shell protagonist' whereas the protagonist doesn't have a fixed character and motivations by its own and it is up to viewers to fill the gap of the character. By my reading experience, today it's fairly common to visual novels/RPG or even up to Bishoujo/Otome games like one of the most popular game today, Genshin Impact, the MC isn't really talking that much. If the MC will have an opportunity to speak player will have choices for what the MC would say, and that's when you succesfully inserted your world view into the MC. That's no different for Priconne game. Sounds familiar? Yup self-insert MC. But I think this one is literally you'll insert yourself and that'll make the character. Different to fixed,idealized character. Well it's up on debate if these two are just the same.

In Priconne Anime it didn't really succesfully or rather they didn't really take Yuuki as 'Empty-shell protag' so don't attack me, I'm not defending Yuuki in Anime.
And other thing is, I think, this could be materialise in Anime medium if all focus is in this character and about its experience where Priconne Anime failed with. One of the problems is what emotion they will show for MC as reaction to a certain event, as we know that audience react differently. I'm not really sure if 1st POV could be successful for anime medium. Probably one of modern example I know was this series: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2fp012QCvpyYpHTLbMeggaR_Jdbknzyj

What do you all think?
I'm not really sure if there's an anime like this. Or it's really true that gaming is the future of storytelling as it's the only medium could fully realize this kind of character.
Mar 26, 2022 5:46 AM

Jul 2015
He is still way better and more interesting than Kirito. That's for sure.

Mar 26, 2022 6:30 AM
Aug 2021
Piromysl said:

Yeah im agree with that
Mar 26, 2022 6:57 AM
Sep 2020
A regular Gordon Freeman.
Mar 28, 2022 2:51 PM
Jan 2022
I think, Yuuki is designed starting as an empty-shell protag and kinda in a sense filling him with life as he remembers the past loop and his desire to protect the bond between him and his guild members, I might be misunderstanding the part where you said how all focus was on this character, but I think the priconne anime did a fantastic job at making Yuuki, Kyaru and Pecorine (not sure about Kokkoro) all seem like the main protag at some point as the focus or point of view sometimes goes to them
xd6969Mar 28, 2022 2:55 PM
Apr 3, 2022 12:36 AM
Nov 2015
Coollldart said:
There's just a thing I realized about this kind of characters. Because I've been seeing people talk about how Yuuki isn't really like a MC but more of a side character. But I just think that there might be something like 'Empty-shell protagonist' whereas the protagonist doesn't have a fixed character and motivations by its own and it is up to viewers to fill the gap of the character. By my reading experience, today it's fairly common to visual novels/RPG or even up to Bishoujo/Otome games like one of the most popular game today, Genshin Impact, the MC isn't really talking that much. If the MC will have an opportunity to speak player will have choices for what the MC would say, and that's when you succesfully inserted your world view into the MC. That's no different for Priconne game. Sounds familiar? Yup self-insert MC. But I think this one is literally you'll insert yourself and that'll make the character. Different to fixed,idealized character. Well it's up on debate if these two are just the same.

In Priconne Anime it didn't really succesfully or rather they didn't really take Yuuki as 'Empty-shell protag' so don't attack me, I'm not defending Yuuki in Anime.
And other thing is, I think, this could be materialise in Anime medium if all focus is in this character and about its experience where Priconne Anime failed with. One of the problems is what emotion they will show for MC as reaction to a certain event, as we know that audience react differently. I'm not really sure if 1st POV could be successful for anime medium. Probably one of modern example I know was this series: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2fp012QCvpyYpHTLbMeggaR_Jdbknzyj

What do you all think?
I'm not really sure if there's an anime like this. Or it's really true that gaming is the future of storytelling as it's the only medium could fully realize this kind of character.

Yuuki's given a bit more character in the anime than he is from the game, however, and for some reason, the anime, in spite of having the freedom to do so, barely focuses on him in favor of Pecorine's side of the story (in the game, at least in Arc 1, the two were sharing the spotlight since Pecorine's real identity and Yuuki's amnesia were all heavily tied to Kaiser, and she was out to personally get rid of both of them at one point).

Yuuki isn't as silent as his game counterpart is (and then again, to be fair, he still talks in the game though on occasion) and he does actually starts to speak more and more as Season 2 progressed. He's not so much as a self-insert MC and more the anime trying to break him away from that, which depending on who you ask is a hit-or-miss given that they barely touch upon his side of the story (they are still making him grow, which is more than apparent) or giving him any other moments to truly shine (that doesn't involve a DEM).
Apr 3, 2022 9:00 AM

Dec 2008
It doesn't really matter if Yuuki is a self-insert, silent protagonist or not.
The main problem in the anime is that 95% of the time, he isn't really playing a main role in the story.
In VNs or games like Genshin Impact (which, admittedly I'm not that familiar with), even with an "empty-shell protagonist", you are still seeing the world through their eyes, and interacting with everyone via them.

In the game, even though Yuuki is typically a silent protagonist, he still has more of a defined role, and influence over the story than the anime. For example, Yuni, Kuroe, and Chieru are friends with Yuuki, and not with Kokkoro, Kyaru and Peco. Even with characters that may eventually become acquainted with the rest of the main cast, like say Twinkle Wish, or Carmina (Nozomi and friends), their main relationship is with Yuuki, and the rest of Bishokuden comes second.
Or consider all his one on one moments with Kyaru, Kokkoro, or Peco. These are some of the strongest scenes in the game. It helps cement him as the protagonist, even if he might be a silent protagonist, and gives him importance.

The anime does away with all of this, which is why he feels like a side character. You have all these emotional moments between Kyaru and Peco, or Kokkoro and Peco, but there is nothing say between Kyaru and Yuuki or Peco and Yuuki.

I should also say, Yuuki does have motivations and emotions in the game and the anime. It's just less explicit most of the time because of his role as a silent protagonist.
May 27, 2022 9:29 PM

Oct 2008
Persona
The protagonist has no personality. So the viewer can easily insert himself and voila. The Yuuki character is handled slightly better, maybe not to sure myself. But all in all I'm not the biggest fan of this type of protagonist.
May 27, 2022 10:18 PM

Feb 2019
Piromysl said:

He isn't
Stop lying to yourself.

Worst character in sao has more personality than this anime's mc.
May 28, 2022 3:20 AM

Jul 2015
Sakuta002766 said:
Piromysl said:

He isn't
Stop lying to yourself.

Bruh. Yuuki cen be the engaging, because due to him losing memories, you can speculate about his backstory and story does not entirely revolve around him, thus he does not waste screentime.
Unlike Gamer Kid, who is as deep as a puddle.

May 28, 2022 3:34 AM

Feb 2019
Piromysl said:
Sakuta002766 said:

He isn't
Stop lying to yourself.

Bruh. Yuuki cen be the engaging, because due to him losing memories, you can speculate about his backstory and story does not entirely revolve around him, thus he does not waste screentime.
Unlike Gamer Kid, who is as deep as a puddle.

Nothing changed the fact that he isn't better than Kirito

Even a rock has more personality than this anime's mc.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Princess Connect! Re:Dive Season 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2022

119 by Sun_Chan »»
Sep 9, 11:56 PM

Poll: » Princess Connect! Re:Dive Season 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2022

74 by Sun_Chan »»
Sep 9, 11:29 PM

Poll: » Princess Connect! Re:Dive Season 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2022

61 by Sun_Chan »»
Sep 9, 11:05 PM

Poll: » Princess Connect! Re:Dive Season 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2022

83 by Sun_Chan »»
Sep 9, 10:42 PM

Poll: » Princess Connect! Re:Dive Season 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2022

55 by Sun_Chan »»
Sep 9, 10:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.