Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 23, 2021 4:17 PM
May 2016
there's a dub apparently. it can be found on youtube and.....Muni, Rinku, and Rei sound fine.

They naturally had to pick voices similar enough to the Japanese because of the music aspect, but I have a concern.

That being that Maho's actress doesn't sound like she speaks english, and it's glaringly distracting.

She sounds like a Japanese person trying to speak english. I could see this person having Maho's singing voice, but it's just so out of place.

if this took place somewhere else and Maho was supposed to be someone from Japan trying to speak english, I'd understand

but I feel like we could've found something different
Jan 23, 2021 8:00 PM

Aug 2017
NG_Chloe said:
She sounds like a Japanese person trying to speak english.

that's because she is. the VA playing Maho in the English dub is the same person that voiced her in Japanese (Kagami Karin). she does have a noticeable accent but imo "doesn't sound like she speaks english" is a bit much. if her English was really that bad they wouldn't have let her do it. idk how much of her early life was spent there but she was actually born in California, too.
BloodglasJan 23, 2021 8:05 PM
Jan 23, 2021 8:56 PM
May 2016
Bloodglas said:
NG_Chloe said:
She sounds like a Japanese person trying to speak english.

that's because she is. the VA playing Maho in the English dub is the same person that voiced her in Japanese (Kagami Karin). she does have a noticeable accent but imo "doesn't sound like she speaks english" is a bit much. if her English was really that bad they wouldn't have let her do it. idk how much of her early life was spent there but she was actually born in California, too.

that does explain a lot, I'll probably give it another swing on the blu ray anyways. Simulcast releases are always a little a rough around the edges anyways
Jan 26, 2021 1:32 AM
Dec 2020
I think it’s a breath of fresh air. Adds to the authenticity of the show. And let’s you know they are in Japan not America
Jan 26, 2021 8:18 AM
May 2016
GNPsyko said:
I think it’s a breath of fresh air. Adds to the authenticity of the show. And let’s you know they are in Japan not America

That's true, but when everyone else has more common voice actors, it just comes of as odd, because if Maho's voice indicates that this is Japan, than why doesn't everyone else speak in Engrish, also if this is Japan why are they only speaking in Engrish

If they were all more common english voice actors, it's easier to suspend disbelief, but with the one odd inclusion, it breaks my suspension a bit.

Also while Maho's Japanese voice actress works for her in Japanese, it's hard to give the same level of performance for a language that isn't quite her own. Her performance will probably be better in the finalized version, so I'm not AS bothered, but I wanted to bring up how odd I thought the choice was after hearing the dub
Dec 5, 2023 10:45 AM
Jun 2020
Absolutely makes Maho less appealing. What were they even thinking. If someone told me the character was being portrayed as someone with a disability I woulda thought their performance exemplary

More topics from this board

Poll: » D4DJ: First Mix Episode 5 Discussion

Ellenwitch - Nov 27, 2020

25 by IzunaHotaru »»
Aug 9, 11:39 PM

Poll: » D4DJ: First Mix Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

NeoAnkara - Oct 22, 2020

81 by IzunaHotaru »»
Aug 9, 11:37 PM

Poll: » favorite member of Happy Around so far

NG_Chloe - Dec 5, 2020

13 by IzunaHotaru »»
Aug 9, 11:32 PM

» psa: now available on Youtube for a limited time!

DreamingBeats - May 26

2 by awhole7dollars »»
May 31, 7:34 AM

Poll: » D4DJ: First Mix Episode 12 Discussion

yvsei - Jan 22, 2021

47 by Foreall908 »»
Jan 10, 11:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.