Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 7, 2021 8:40 PM
Oct 2020
I was thinking of starting to learn Japanese lately since I want to have a future in Japan. Where do you guys think I should start?.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 7, 2021 9:13 PM

Dec 2020
I guess you can start by learning learning the pronunciation, hiragana, and katakana.
Jan 7, 2021 10:38 PM
Nov 2020
( sorry for my crappy english its not my home?language) I started learning Japanese with the same goal like/as you and maybe i can help a little bit... Im 13 and while my school has a japanese class, its only possible to take it from 11 grade.. I was too impatient to wait 3 years so i started self studying...

first i downloaded duolingo and started to learn with it. I did make progress but i wouldnt recommend it sinply because it doesnt teach you the things structured.. you learn some things, however duolingo is an app for several languages.. it doesnt focus on just one.. therefore you can use duolingo on your way to school/work etc. but not if you want to get serius about it.

When i realized that this app is more or less trash i looked for actual apps who would only focus on the japanese language explaining all its difficulties and be hopefully more structured. I came across the app kana school (its on the appstore not sure if its on google play too tho and its the only i app i found that is compeletly free) .. this app isnt a whole japanese teacher bundle, it actually only teaches how to read hiragana and katakana (2 of 3 alphabets used in the japanese language) but this is definitely something you should begin with..

by the way: i would absolutely recommend to go on youtube to search how other people study japanese for help and reference for your own studymethod.

if you have done that, you may have seen that almost everybody uses textbooks and not the internet, especially the more advanced people who are on n4 level or higher (n4 is one of 5 tests you can take at the JLPT [Japanese Language Proficiency Test] N5 is the easiest and N1 the hardest). If you want to take the n5 test then there will be anough material and exercises for you to find on the internet to be enough prepared but i would still recommennd getting a textbook as soon as possible...

recommendations for textbooks:
if the english language is not you home?language i would say that it is better to take one in your homelanguage because the people in the book will often compare the grammar of the language the book is written with the japanese grammar and overall it will be easier to understand.. even if the best japanese learn textbooks are in english (mine is also not an english but a german one and im happy that i chose it cause i dont have to translate two languages at the same time in my head and the english grammar has a lot of differencies than the german one which could also cause problems because i havent learned the english grammar structure yet).
You can find good recommendations for textbooks on youtube aswell (youtube is going to be your best friend when learning japanese hehe)

now for leaning a language are three things important:
listening, reading and writing (if there is a new alphabet and the japanese language has 3 [some people say 4 because of romanji]..
you will practice reading and writing through the textbook but for listening you need other solutions.. my metghods are
-anime (of course.. its a very good listening comprehension although the japanese in anime is not japanese used in everyday life but still.. good to remember easy phrases and learning some ahead
-jpop or basically music in japanese.. also podcasts when you are more advanced (n3 n2 level which could take a while)
-japanese news (slow), videos in japanese, radio everything japanese basically
-tandem (there is also an app called tandem-> its basically speking with someone who wants to learn your languages while you want to learn their language but you can search more about it on the internet..)

that are more or less the basics you can start from..
NOW ready for a resume cause im pretty sure you already forgot what i wrote at the beginning...

-start with learning how to read and speak hiragana and katakana (you should also learn how to write it)
-get a textbook with exercises to do and grammar explained plus important vocabs
- listen to the japanese, try reading (sounds crappy atr thge beginning but you will eventually get into it)
- LEARN KANJI!!!
-REPEAT YOUR VOCABS!!!

and now my most important tip
- Interact with the japanese language EVERY DAY... EVERY. DAY.
was that too dramatic

Good Luck!!!
i think its Gambarimasu in japanese but i didnt repeat my vocabs the past week.. shame on me DONT DO THAT!!!!
Jan 8, 2021 7:19 AM
Apr 2020
wow thanks for the advices ! really appreciated
Jan 8, 2021 8:20 AM
Apr 2020
should we open a discord server or sth to focus on learning japanese or japanese culture?
Jan 8, 2021 12:23 PM
Nov 2020
that would be cool
Jan 8, 2021 5:53 PM

Dec 2020
Freelance_weeb said:
should we open a discord server or sth to focus on learning japanese or japanese culture?

Yeah that's a cool idea
Jan 9, 2021 2:10 AM
Apr 2020
https://discord.gg/hnt8hSqy <- just created a discord server
Jan 9, 2021 3:34 AM
Oct 2020
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.
Jan 10, 2021 12:29 PM
Nov 2020
Freelance_weeb said:
https://discord.gg/hnt8hSqy <- just created a discord server

its expired
Jan 10, 2021 5:12 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.