Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online Progressive (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 19, 2020 7:54 PM

Sep 2018
I have never watched any SAO seasons. Not even the first. I just know that they get trapped in a video game, that's it.

I heard it's a completely alternative version. Can I watch it?
We are all Misanthropes

Made you learn

Sep 19, 2020 7:58 PM
Mar 2016
Bloe said:
I have never watched any SAO seasons. Not even the first. I just know that they get trapped in a video game, that's it.

It's a remake of the first season (Aincrad Arc only) with lots of added story, so I guess you could start watching SAO from Progressive, then go and watch the rest if it interests you.
Sep 19, 2020 8:47 PM
Nov 2016
You can start here. You won't lose anything by not watching any other season. That said there are only 6 light novels out which means they've basically gotten to floor 6. That's not a whole lot of content. If you enjoy this when it does air or you can't wait you can watch the original first season and watch the following seasons.
Sep 19, 2020 9:06 PM
Apr 2016
I think they will do something similar to what is done in Fate, where almost the same story is told in different points of view but some events already seen in previous anime are omitted. So I would recommend you to watch only the arc of Aincrad (the first 12 or 13 eps of season 1)
Sep 19, 2020 9:19 PM

Mar 2016
Its just the story in depth of each floor, or so I've heard.

The first season just went ahead and progressed with the story by skipping most of the details of every floor.
Sep 20, 2020 2:51 AM

Apr 2020
Bloe said:

i think u should watch s1, but only watch Aincrad arc, i forgot how many episode Arc Aincrad was, but if i'm not mistaken it only 16 eps, because this series the story is about Asuna in Aincrad world
Sep 20, 2020 3:56 AM
Jul 2020
Shirase-san said:
Bloe said:

i think u should watch s1, but only watch Aincrad arc, i forgot how many episode Arc Aincrad was, but if i'm not mistaken it only 16 eps, because this series the story is about Asuna in Aincrad world

False. This story is about kirito and asuna forming a duo in the early stages of aincrad. You can watch this without watching season 1 because it spoils nothing. It's more like a prequel
Sep 20, 2020 4:15 AM

Apr 2020
xSchons said:
Shirase-san said:

False. This story is about kirito and asuna forming a duo in the early stages of aincrad. You can watch this without watching season 1 because it spoils nothing. It's more like a prequel

oh i see, thank you for confirming it.

sorry earlier if I was wrong, because many say this series is about Asuna who was in Aincrad.
Sep 20, 2020 4:59 AM

Jan 2010
Shirase-san said:
xSchons said:

oh i see, thank you for confirming it.

sorry earlier if I was wrong, because many say this series is about Asuna who was in Aincrad.

It seems like there are 2 different versions of this story (MAL has 2 different SAO: Progressive.) The reviews on the other one that isn't linked to this anime adaption said a lot about her side of the story while the other not so much. I haven't started either but that was my quick observation.
A man who knows nothing and says something IS the dumbest person alive. A man who knows something and says nothing could possibly be the smartest person in the world -Unknown

Sep 20, 2020 6:11 AM

Apr 2018
I dont know why everybody is so confident in saying that you can watch this even if u haven't watched sao.
Vol 1 of the light novel starts more or less halfway through ep 1. So if u want to read the light novel u definitely need to watch at least the first half of ep 1. We still don't know if the anime will restart from the beginning or will go the novel route, so I'd wait before saying that you dont need to watch absolutely nothing before watching this.
Sep 20, 2020 6:38 AM
Feb 2020
i think its pretty much just a case of watch episode 1 of original SAO and you should be good,althought i havent actually read the novels for this one. Just read a few chapters of the manga.
Sep 21, 2020 7:12 AM
Jun 2020
Yes, it'll still be trash though.
Sep 21, 2020 9:10 AM
Feb 2019
From what I know it takes place between 1st and 3rd episode of original SAO. 2nd episode was actually adapted from progressive light novel.
Sep 21, 2020 2:22 PM

Nov 2019
It's advised to watch at least the first 14 episodes of S1 before watching this.

If they adapt the parts already in S1 well then it's all well and good but if they rush stuff like FMAB did to reach the unadapted part, then it might be a problem.

One thing I'll say just like FMAB assumes you've watched FMA, SAOP assumes that you've watched the SAO Aincrad arc because
Biswa_29Sep 21, 2020 2:32 PM
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Dec 7, 2021 11:48 PM
Nov 2021
is it alright to watch te new progressive movie after watching season 1? I've only watched season 1 and want to watch the progressive movie since its out in cinemas in my country. I know the movie is going to be mostly about asunas perspective, how she became strong and met kirito.
Dec 8, 2021 6:14 AM

Oct 2020
@Bloe check out this post. It may clear your doubts
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1958209
WISHED I COULD ALSO GET TRANSPORTED TO A WORLD FULL OF MAGIC And DUNGEONS, please take me there too if you could (⁠ ⁠◜⁠‿⁠◝⁠ ⁠)⁠

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Progressive Movie - Hoshi Naki Yoru no Aria Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Oct 29, 2021

258 by Alice103 »»
Sep 16, 4:28 PM

» Can you watch this without watching the original anime?

Strat2005 - Jan 13

11 by Sara_Karma »»
Jan 14, 10:39 PM

» How dare they???

Haroldinho07 - Jun 23, 2023

25 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Jul 27, 2023 12:27 AM

» Comparison Scene

ClubAnimeYT - Jul 13, 2022

5 by hacker09 »»
Jun 20, 2023 12:07 AM

» To anyone who don't know what SAO-P is and to those who didn't like the show and wanted a well written version of the show. I'll try to clear any doubts about the show. ( 1 2 )

Anayan_Kashyap - Sep 20, 2021

54 by hacker09 »»
Jun 19, 2023 11:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.