Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 6, 2019 7:35 PM
Oct 2018
I always wonder what criteria to use when rating a show. There seems to be so many variables to consider.

Whether the show fit the expectations?
What if it's well made but not to my taste? Should that give it a lower ranking?

These are some of the things that I think about when trying to rate a show. And some are much harder than others...

I would love to hear what you all think about this. Even if you think ratings are irrelevant.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 19, 2019 12:06 PM
Sep 2019
I really hate when I get the feeling that someone's rating of something is irrelevant, and I usually get that impression if they don't seem like the kind of person the show is for (or they outright say so). Even for a show I hate, that pisses me off. Rate stuff on whether it meets the criteria it sets out to achieve, not whether it satisfies some random goals that it wasn't trying to do.

Of course, there are limits to that reasoning. Some things, for example, are basically universal and can't be ignored. For example, you can make a silly, ridiculous show that makes no sense, but it still has to be entertaining. If someone says a show like that makes no sense, therefore it gets a low rating, I'm annoyed. But if they have a compelling argument for why the silliness is not entertaining after all, I'm intrigued.

But drawing the line with that sort of thing is not easy. For example, I don't like Boku no Hero, even though it's objectively a well-made show with good character designs, good pacing, good action, competent writing, etc.. But is that because it's not for me? It's hard to say. I like shonen stories, but I don't like stories with a wimpy, pathetic main character suddenly being given superpowers. I like fast-moving shows, but I don't like undercooked character motivations. Someone who likes Boku no Hero is probably going to tell me the show's not for me because of the negatives I point out, saying "That's the point of the show because XYZ." And that's fair enough. Even I can't say for sure.

I typically rate stuff based on a mix of what I think the show was trying to do and how I personally take in what it has to offer. I think that's why there's the whole enjoyment factor part of the review scale. Something can be really badly made on an objective level, but entertaining in how bad it is, or educational in how a certain show concept could be badly executed. Something could be historically or culturally relevant to certain people, and that significance passes over my head.

All sorts of things that make enjoyment unpredictable. Sometimes I find it depressing, as a writer of stories myself, imagining someone not liking what I wrote due to seemingly random factors like that.
Sep 19, 2019 11:47 PM
Oct 2018
Ibexfather said:
I really hate when I get the feeling that someone's rating of something is irrelevant, and I usually get that impression if they don't seem like the kind of person the show is for (or they outright say so). Even for a show I hate, that pisses me off. Rate stuff on whether it meets the criteria it sets out to achieve, not whether it satisfies some random goals that it wasn't trying to do.

Of course, there are limits to that reasoning. Some things, for example, are basically universal and can't be ignored. For example, you can make a silly, ridiculous show that makes no sense, but it still has to be entertaining. If someone says a show like that makes no sense, therefore it gets a low rating, I'm annoyed. But if they have a compelling argument for why the silliness is not entertaining after all, I'm intrigued.

But drawing the line with that sort of thing is not easy. For example, I don't like Boku no Hero, even though it's objectively a well-made show with good character designs, good pacing, good action, competent writing, etc.. But is that because it's not for me? It's hard to say. I like shonen stories, but I don't like stories with a wimpy, pathetic main character suddenly being given superpowers. I like fast-moving shows, but I don't like undercooked character motivations. Someone who likes Boku no Hero is probably going to tell me the show's not for me because of the negatives I point out, saying "That's the point of the show because XYZ." And that's fair enough. Even I can't say for sure.

I typically rate stuff based on a mix of what I think the show was trying to do and how I personally take in what it has to offer. I think that's why there's the whole enjoyment factor part of the review scale. Something can be really badly made on an objective level, but entertaining in how bad it is, or educational in how a certain show concept could be badly executed. Something could be historically or culturally relevant to certain people, and that significance passes over my head.

All sorts of things that make enjoyment unpredictable. Sometimes I find it depressing, as a writer of stories myself, imagining someone not liking what I wrote due to seemingly random factors like that.

Thank you! Yes, you hit the nail on the head of what I struggle with. I try to think about the expectation/delivery when rating. And no, it's not easy at all, not for me. It's not natural for me to "rate" things, I'm not a critic (nor I want to be). But the exchange of ideas is important (and like you told me once, it's how you get to find new things). I guess it all comes back to the idea of whether art can be subjective or not. That's a sleeping dog that I'd rather not upset.
Sep 20, 2019 6:49 PM
Sep 2019
For sure! Yeah, I think that ideally, a person's way of viewing fiction allows them to like more things in more ways. So I'm always open to understanding what makes something good.

Often times, when I get into something I didn't expect to, it's because it had something else going for it that I wasn't expecting. That's why when I see something that doesn't sound interesting to me off the bat, I like to hear what makes people passionate about it. For a long time, I thought Fate was just a decently good battle fantasy VN, but then I heard about some of the weird, dark, heady turns it took and that got me to try it.

This gets more complicated when, much of the time, what I like about something isn't quite the same as what other people like about it. So I have to kind of look past what a person is saying when they give a recommendation and also think about other possibilities of what I'll see, if what they said didn't get me very interested. It's a mess, lol.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Anime: Anything to recommend?

frauvamp - Sep 4, 2019

2 by frauvamp »»
Sep 19, 2019 11:35 PM

Sticky: » VN General Talk

frauvamp - Sep 4, 2019

2 by frauvamp »»
Sep 19, 2019 11:22 PM

» What are you watching now?

frauvamp - Sep 18, 2019

1 by Ibexfather »»
Sep 19, 2019 10:25 AM

Sticky: » All time favorite shows!

frauvamp - Sep 2, 2019

1 by Ibexfather »»
Sep 19, 2019 9:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.