Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 22, 2019 10:43 PM
Aug 2018
I haven’t watched this yet but I did play the vn and it was really good, so why is the score so low? I usually don’t really pay attention to mal scores but this one caught my attention. Did they do something wrong? Are they skipping stuff?
Apr 22, 2019 11:44 PM
Jan 2018
A combination of several possible factors.

Firstly, the ecchi/hentai elements. The teacher wearing a corset to work; MC's primary trait being him making constant sex jokes and pushing the limits of social etiquette; most of the cast being female. These lead people to assume that this is a trashy fanservice show. A case can be made that the original game did intentionally start as generically as possible, shoving low-brow stereotypes at your face, and then went on to subvert the audience's expectations again and again - leading players to go "Holy shit this is more awesome than I assumed". (It is not for nothing that this God Hand edit has been circulating in 4chan for a few years, after all.) Even if the payoffs are worth it in the end, people are going by their first impressions.

The adaptation is highly compressed. If you don't pay attention you're easily confused. People are already missing that Ayumi is Takuya's stepmom, for example. Moreover, the first episode rushed through the entire 2+ hour prologue in a mere 24 minutes, skipping much exposition and nuance that, while not exactly critical, established the characters with interesting personalities. While they've partially fixed this by later episodes (Ayumi's prologue scenes turned up in episode 3), some characters like Eriko remain flat so far. The lack of character development works particularly badly with the hentai vibes people are getting.

Paradoxically, the story is also moving too slowly for the tastes of many. Most of the time has been spent on exposition and setup and little action. Furthermore, they're starting with Ayumi's route, which is the most mundane and boring one. Even if it does make some sense to save the more interesting routes for later in order to achieve an escalating-stakes-plot structure of sorts, this makes for a dull beginning.

That which is assumed to be the primary hook, the Reflector Device, has barely seen any use. While in the game it was more omnipresent, its use was also generally low-key, used mainly for finding all the little timeline branches and for fetching items to use from unrelated scenes. Still, there should be a few upcoming scenes that provide some decent time travel spectacle.

The music is lacking. The game had a killer OST, which inexplicably has been almost completely replaced by forgettable anime-original tracks. They even seem to reuse the same few dull tracks over and over.
LaukkuApr 23, 2019 12:06 AM
Apr 23, 2019 4:53 AM
Aug 2014
what vn version you played ? 2017 or the 2000? i only played the 2000 version
Apr 23, 2019 5:55 AM

May 2017
People be like "this story too boring and slow" when it's being compressed as all fack. I don't understand the world anymore...
Apr 23, 2019 10:55 PM
Jun 2012
If people couldn't figure out Ayumi is a step mother I question their intelligence.
Apr 24, 2019 12:34 AM

Aug 2013
ycleped said:
People be like "this story too boring and slow" when it's being compressed as all fack. I don't understand the world anymore...

Because it is boring and slow maybe?

There is nothing at least from a non VN reader that has been of any real praise so far.

Some stories just don't translate well from VN to anime audiences, this might be one of those.
Apr 24, 2019 12:46 AM

Feb 2015
Expect nothing from VN adaptations, they usually pale in comparison with the original work.
Apr 24, 2019 3:19 AM

May 2018
Lel0uchZer0 said:
Fayt89 said:

There is nothing at least from a non VN reader that has been of any real praise so far.

Some stories just don't translate well from VN to anime audiences, this might be one of those.

Not boring at all. 4 episodes in is better than steins gate first 4 episodes

Pretty much this. I've never read the source of YU-NO before, but it didn't manage to put me to sleep like Steins;Gate.
Apr 24, 2019 5:54 AM
Apr 2019
Lel0uchZer0 said:
Fayt89 said:

Not boring at all. 4 episodes in is better than steins gate first 4 episodes
since the episode 1 of steins understand the plot in this anime you have 4 episode and the protagonist is still a dull, I know that there are many episodes left but until now do not compare with steins :v
Jul 30, 2019 1:36 AM
Jan 2018
I wrote this in a Reddit thread and thought it'd be appropriate to re-post it here, because it affects the general quality of the anime:
The events of the game are actually on rails most of the time, and only occasionally is there a timeline branch. The game version of the reflector device even blinks ahead of time when a branch is imminent. When the device is not blinking it is impossible to change the course of events; you can make a save, but it will not be very useful (other than returning to pick up an item). Takuya even loses his memories between each jump and will react and behave exactly the same as before. [...]

The reflector device has been simplified for the anime; instead of being constrained by its limited functions Takuya now acts idiotically, for the anime to achieve the same narrative outcomes.
Aug 19, 2019 1:23 AM

Aug 2014
Aemnesias said:
Expect nothing from VN adaptations, they usually pale in comparison with the original work.

I'm not even a VN player, nor do I think I've seen any VN adaptations outside of Clannad, but that seems to be true. Any exceptions?
Aug 21, 2019 11:36 PM

Oct 2016
Looks like absolute shit and I will play the original VN (not the remake) instead.
Aug 21, 2019 11:38 PM

Oct 2016
Aemnesias said:
Nah Steins;Gate is a perfect and superior adatation to the original visual novel.
Sep 3, 2019 10:34 AM
Aug 2019
Seeing as I have never played & never will play the game version (as I’m not a gamer) this anime version has absolutely nothing wrong with it at all IMO ^_^
Sep 16, 2019 1:33 PM

Oct 2012
damn it seems all the reviewers either dropped the anime or havent updated yet.
Oct 15, 2019 8:30 PM

Jun 2014
Unknow0059 said:
Aemnesias said:

I'm not even a VN player, nor do I think I've seen any VN adaptations outside of Clannad, but that seems to be true. Any exceptions?

I compiled the VN adaptation I know in some categories from what I heard. Spoiler tagged the one that are not considered "good".

Good adaptation:
-Clannad
-Steins;gate
-White album 2(introductory chapter)
-Kanon 2006
-Grisaia no Meikyuu/Rakuen
-FSN UBW/Heavens Feel
-Planetarian
-Ef (I recall people saying s1 was good and s2 was good but badly adapted)
-Utawarerumono
-Steins gate 0 (not sure)

Oct 16, 2019 2:05 AM

Aug 2014
Thai777 said:
Unknow0059 said:

I compiled the VN adaptation I know in some categories from what I heard. Spoiler tagged the one that are not considered "good".

I see. Thanks a lot.
Oct 16, 2019 2:07 AM

Aug 2014
Yuki_Nonaka said:
Aemnesias said:
Nah Steins;Gate is a perfect and superior adatation to the original visual novel.

How, or why, is that the case? How is it superior? Is it just too confusing?
Dec 22, 2019 4:01 AM
Jan 2018
A fellow named Dewbond, who watched the anime first, played the visual novel and blogged about the differences, noting good and bad changes.

Ayumi route
Mitsuki/Eriko Route
Mio route
Kaori route
Kanna route
Final route 1<- This one covers sections seen in episodes 18 to 20, and explains how much better the storytelling was in the VN. The anime lost impact due to rushed character development.
Final route 2
Bonus endings
Final thoughts
Mar 2, 2020 7:06 PM

Aug 2017
Anime was lackluster. Remastered VN was quite good. Much better production value in VN. More ecchi in VN. Anime was like PG-13.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2019

53 by Buhay127 »»
Jul 10, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 1, 2019

90 by Talamare »»
Jun 7, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2019

18 by Talamare »»
Jun 6, 8:48 PM

Poll: » Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2019

83 by RGreatDanton »»
May 16, 6:59 PM

Poll: » Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2019

88 by RGreatDanton »»
May 16, 6:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.