Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 26, 2017 6:10 AM

Sep 2015
Honestly this was such a masterpiece. The story, the animation, the soundtrack were just perfect. It was such a terribly charming anime

“Now I have neither happiness nor unhappiness.

Everything passes.

That is the one and only thing that I have thought resembled a truth in the society of human beings where I have dwelled up to now as in a burning hell.

Everything passes.”
― Osamu Dazai, No Longer Human
Dec 26, 2017 8:32 AM

Mar 2017
It looked more promising at the beginning. But it became a little boring afterwards. The art work was splendid though. Soundtracks too
Dec 26, 2017 8:52 AM
Apr 2016
One here. Will be on my "One day" list, just like Kyoukai senjou no Horizon...
Re:formed
Dec 26, 2017 10:14 AM

Aug 2012
I really love this anime but have serious problems with the argument and its a little boring from the ep 7.
Even if doesn't deserve a 9, I've put a 9 because the art is spectacular and the soundtrack too.
This an example of how wasted a lot of potential, because probably never have a season 2.
Dec 27, 2017 12:48 AM

Oct 2015
I really liked the first 4 episodes but the episodes 5-9 were pretty much lackluster and didn't deliver on the high expectations the first 4 episodes gave me. As of now, I'm watching the last 3 episodes and it seems to be picking up again. The art and animation looks pretty nice though. Other than that I don't see my score for this anime reaching anything above a 6
Dec 27, 2017 2:05 AM

Jul 2010
Me! I really loved it, the art style is so pretty and the OST, OP and ED are amazing to me. Best OP this season, if not entire 2017 (ok re:creators might top this though). Also I really liked the characters, they felt real and each of them was special to me... many complained that the MC was too boring, but I don't always need a super overpowered douch MC and it wasn't a shounen anyways. Also the story was interesting and I'd love to see a second season. This anime just touched me right from the beginning.
Dec 27, 2017 4:53 AM

Jan 2015
I loved it even though I think it would have been better as a 2-cour series
Dec 27, 2017 5:31 AM

May 2016
It's a great anime 9/10 for me. I am just sad that it has low score.

Dec 29, 2017 12:25 AM
Jul 2018
The only good thing about it is the art/setting. The characters are bland and whiny, while the plot is contradictory (characters who are said to have "no emotions" yet are clearly shown expressing emotions such as joy, fear, and anger). I'm no warmonger, but these crybaby pacifists and their pathetic self-destructive idealism irk me. For example:
Dec 29, 2017 5:52 AM

Aug 2015
besides that you could make the arguement that the characters that die have next to no build due to the rushed start. We are told in retrospect that they were important yet most of them are barly in more than 1 Episode before they die which makes their deaths not as impactful. The idea is pretty much in that regard "Hey we need someone to get killed of to create drama . Let's take the guy that had two pieces of dialogue so far." I mean other than the first death which was a shocker and one other
which was good nothing felt right.
Jan 4, 2018 5:30 AM
Aug 2014
I found the story and the whole setting to be very promising and interesting. 24 episodes would have been better probably, so that the creators could have shown us more of the world and the characters would have had the chance to develop more because they feel a bit bland IMO
Jan 4, 2018 4:34 PM

Jan 2013
I feel like the only one who likes the characters.
Jan 12, 2018 6:43 PM

Sep 2014
Syrup- said:
I feel like the only one who likes the characters.

I also love the characters. I don't know why so many people didn't like them. Generic characters? At this point, who is not a generic character?

I feel this is one of the most underrated anime of 2017.
Jan 13, 2018 6:33 AM
Jan 2014
After finishing this anime I'm really confused. Perhaps its because I went in with low expectations due to the score and revies, but I absolutely loved it. Sure it has plot holes, but honestly what anime doesn't today, SnK is full of them and I still find it awesome.
I think what bothered a lot of people is the fact that Chakuro is a pretty lackluster protagonist and does very little fighting through the series, but he still has this whole destroyer thing going on waiting to go off when he finally snaps. To be honest the whole worldbuilding and setting was excelent imo, I got some serious attack on titan vibes from the whole not knowing what the outside world looks like which was a huge plus in my book.
What can I say, usually when I love an anime with a low score, I can tell the reasons not that many people enjoyed it (Fractale) but im having a hard time with this one.
Jan 14, 2018 12:04 AM

Dec 2015
I feel like it fell flat at a lot of points, but I really like the overall idea of the anime and I'm really hoping for a second season. The art and music were 10/10 for me though.
Jan 16, 2018 2:39 AM
Mar 2010
Once again it shows my tastes differ with those on MAL. I feel some of the complaints this show gets could be given to shows like Mahoutsukai no Yome, and I went into that show with moderate expectations (A previous comment said "The only good thing about it is the art/setting.". That's what I felt watching MahoYome lol.)

I loved Kujira no Kora. It wasn't too serious, too complicated and it didn't have too much romance. It had happiness, sadness, anger...everything. I would gladly watch a season 2, which I hope Netflix will greenlight.

I want to see more manga like this get adapted into an anime. Not just your usual school romance with popular guy and no-name girl. More rich adventure fantasies like this one.

8/10.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jan 24, 2018 4:43 AM

Aug 2014
phoenixalia said:
Once again it shows my tastes differ with those on MAL. I feel some of the complaints this show gets could be given to shows like Mahoutsukai no Yome, and I went into that show with moderate expectations (A previous comment said "The only good thing about it is the art/setting.". That's what I felt watching MahoYome lol.)

I loved Kujira no Kora. It wasn't too serious, too complicated and it didn't have too much romance. It had happiness, sadness, anger...everything. I would gladly watch a season 2, which I hope Netflix will greenlight.

I want to see more manga like this get adapted into an anime. Not just your usual school romance with popular guy and no-name girl. More rich adventure fantasies like this one.

8/10.

I think problem lies how the early story fold itself.
I kinda hated how futile the whale children like but i guess author wants to be like that so okay.
I mean come on see Suou fight with the pink haired dude he seems like exactly likes a girl but i guess its fucking Shoujo genre so i could let it pass.
Same to the review complain about the character design, it's a fucking Shoujo Manga and i think it looks pretty good for a shoujo genre.

There's some chill moments and stuff but sometimes it fells to a cliche.
Overall it seems promising it fell short and the first 9 episode felt like an introduction more than anything making people disappointed with the anime.
I know exactly where this is going so I'll just assume it's advertised and there won't be any sequel.

As anime it was okay, good but disappointing. Maybe it would be better if it was 24 episode or something guess the contract and sale said no.

7/10 for anime overalls
8/10 for enjoyment.
Feb 25, 2018 5:49 PM
Oct 2011
Xenocrisi said:
I loved it even though I think it would have been better as a 2-cour series

Yeah, I really quite liked this season and hope we'll get more.

A 2-cour season to start with would have been great, the scale and setting and amount of characters really fits the further fleshing out you get with 2-cour season shows. Hopefully we get some of that with a season 2 eventually.

phoenixalia said:

Agreed.
DangerMouseDMFeb 25, 2018 7:43 PM
Mar 17, 2018 6:47 PM
Mar 2018
I don't really get why so many people disliked this, personally I loved it and could not stop watching (binged it in a couple of evening sessions). The characters are not "whiny", but very emphatic and the small community resembles a utopia of sorts. The people who say the plot is incoherent did not pay attention or not watch it to the end, cause it is explained pretty logically imo.

Loved it from start to end although I probably would put it into my top 20 best animes although i don't keep track - my list is very spotty. Hoping for a second season and that they build on this rather exploratory first season.
SimChuckyMar 17, 2018 6:55 PM
Oct 25, 2018 1:59 PM
Jul 2018
I'm rewatching right now, because you know... I wanna use my netflix account and don't pay for nothing. My mom was like: let's watch something together - and I love it even more than back then. The stunning visuals, the fantasy part and how the "magic" is drawn, the story and some of the characters and even their culture is so pretty well thought-out. They have these little rituals and all.

SimChucky said:
The characters are not "whiny", but very emphatic and the small community resembles a utopia of sorts.

Thank you, absolutely this.
Also I really dislike this "whiny"-attitudes, plus, they are a different culture than our western or the Japanese. They are more like a nature folks / natives. It was greatly thought-out with their up- and downsides.
removed-userOct 25, 2018 3:43 PM
Mar 5, 2019 11:38 AM
Sep 2016
As much as I want to say that it's good, it just isn't. The animation, art and ost are all really beautiful but everything regarding the story is a mess. The characters are not interesting, there's not development. The world building is terrable, I know nothing about the world and the see of sand. The pacing is really bad and the show is predictable! I really wanted to like this anime but it's just a 4 from me.
Mar 30, 2019 4:42 PM

Mar 2019
9/10 from me.

Very entertaining. Soundtrack is golden and most episodes have good animation.

Not sure where they'll go with the storyline if they continue it, but I'll happily watch more. Some plot points are played for the drama, but the episodes didn't get derailed. I like a series that leaves me thinking there's a chance the protagonist(s) won't win. Maybe I just enjoy the Anthropic Principle. Lykos is my favorite of the main cast.
Eris-w-Mar 30, 2019 4:50 PM
May 27, 2019 5:07 AM

Dec 2015
It felt like the director was thinking: "Oh, I don't care about direction, plot and characters. All I need to do to make a masterpiece is cute art and music". Honestly, after episode 7, I got angry at this show. The story was so bad, and all the show did was make cute moments and thought that would solve everything
May 27, 2019 5:09 AM

Apr 2015
I really liked the anime, but the problem is the TRUE plot started when the anime finish, all that was covered was prologue.
Apr 21, 2020 5:36 PM

May 2019
I loved this show and thank God i dont care so much for the MAL score.

The thing is the story is a typical long one, and the anime covered just the begin.

Imagine if a classic like FMA just was "finished" in its 12th episode despite all the long history beyond that?

When this climax of this first arc whas achieved i immediately realized that the "last" episodes would be vague, since they are too few to devenlop and conclude a second arc.

Aside that, this show is full of emotions, amazing drawning, poetry, adventure, a touch of romance, and there is no plot holes, with the questions being awnsered in the right time.

Far above the average. 9/10. And now i'll be following the manga.

Apr 21, 2020 6:05 PM

Oct 2017
ME !!! I randomly found the manga,started it and loved it ! Honestly didn't expect it to have an anime at all so when it was annouced I was OVERJOYED
Barely anyone talked about it tho >:(

Jul 2, 2020 12:48 AM
May 2020
This is a terrible masterpiece. They should have ended this at Episode 09 or even at 10, fully focusing on Mud Whale VS Skylos battle arc and not adding characters that would only play a role at the last two or three episodes. Or maybe, they should have gave more emphasis on the world building and clear the doubts of the viewers regarding some concepts. The insert song at Episode 03 and 08 are the best among its soundtrack. It deserve a ten by episode 09 but degraded to seven or eight afterwards.
Aug 2, 2020 5:41 PM

Oct 2009
I love this anime so much that I'm a bit surprised there were never much noise about it, not even a bit (I mean just look at the state of this forum, very few non-episode posts).

I find it very strange : in my opinion, taste aside, this anime is quite unique and special, reminiscent of weird non-standard-fantasy animes such as Eureka Seven and Shinsekai yori, typically with a small yet strong fanbase. This is not the case here apparently.

This is even more frustrating to me that it is that kind of story that doesn't have a "finish" (yet, I hope).

Still a 9/10 for my taste.

Aug 21, 2020 8:45 AM

Dec 2008
The static and pre drawn backgrounds actually didnt feel bad, having an almost water color painted, old school look to them.
Like a cross between Castle in the Sky and Nausica. BEautiful end theme.
Sep 7, 2021 11:45 AM
Feb 2021
It was not a masterpiece but still a very good anime, i do not understand his hate oO
Oct 29, 2021 2:13 PM
Jun 2021
I really love this anime. It really pulled my heartstrings. The story and animation has such a sweet feel, so the sudden violence hit really hard. When I’m describing this anime to others, I say it feels like Violet Evergarden meets Attack on Titan.
Nov 8, 2021 1:07 PM
Lady of Floofs

Jan 2010
I just finished it and while I understand much of people's criticism, I can't help but love it and hope for a sequel some day. I feel like most of the characters had very realistic flaws and it felt like they could really have been a friend or a family-member of me. I am not one to get appalled by spiritualistic topics or theme and this one was truly wholesome, yet gruesome at the same time. And with that the art and music were awesome.

I feel it's underrated AND underwatched, but that might be just because this isn't the show for everyone. Which is fine too, if you ask me.
MALGRAPH____
Jan 1, 2023 3:50 PM
Jun 2022
I love the anime so much I wish it got continued there’s lots of content in the manga I’d like to see animated
Apr 23, 2023 6:10 AM

Oct 2012
I'm in love so far and Ouni makes me weak on the knees with his attitude. @-@
[ Insert signature here ]
Apr 23, 2023 2:26 PM

Oct 2012
Boy, I could use another couple seasons of this. T_T
[ Insert signature here ]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

95 by JVskunkape »»
Jun 24, 1:33 AM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

63 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 8, 1:44 AM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2017

160 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 7, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

46 by RawrOMG »»
Sep 14, 2023 7:38 PM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

51 by RawrOMG »»
Sep 11, 2023 9:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.