Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 28, 2017 10:49 AM

Jun 2017
I've seen a lot of speculation about this to the point some people actually treat it as canon. What do you guys think?
Jun 28, 2017 11:07 AM

Sep 2013
Autism and all those other diagnosis are fake, by that definition everyone is autistic since being dumb and smart still makes you autistic if you have even the slightest habit or problem.
Jun 28, 2017 11:13 AM

Jun 2017
ichii_1 said:
being dumb and smart still makes you autistic if you have even the slightest habit or problem.

That literally makes no sense.

Also calling ASD and other related diagnoses fake... What??
Jun 28, 2017 12:15 PM

Sep 2013
LunaticLilies said:
ichii_1 said:
being dumb and smart still makes you autistic if you have even the slightest habit or problem.

You mean the spectrum that says you're autistic if you're not good at talking in front of crowds, not being gifted, being sad or being nervous?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d1/e8/de/d1e8deeda35b1f0c75309db158011f18--understanding-autism-class-teacher.jpg
Jun 28, 2017 12:30 PM

Jun 2017
ichii_1 said:
LunaticLilies said:

You mean the spectrum that says you're autistic if you're not good at talking in front of crowds, not being gifted, being sad or being nervous?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d1/e8/de/d1e8deeda35b1f0c75309db158011f18--understanding-autism-class-teacher.jpg

It's not at simple as that. There's a difference between "not good at talking in front of crowds" and "autistic". Also with not gifted, a ton of autistic people are gifted, in various ways. They also can't express emotions too well, show interest in a very very niche subject, aren't very good with empathy (not to be confused with sympathy).
Jun 28, 2017 3:46 PM

Dec 2008
I'd say either that or being immensely introverted + maybe social anxiety. I'm no doctor so I can't say much about her being autism, but I do see many aspects of social anxiety in her (i.e. feeling stupid for having unique interests, being afraid to talk to large crowds, fear of missing out because you're introverted, even though you like being that way)

Maybe it could also be a mix of both?
Jun 28, 2017 5:16 PM

Jun 2017
I feel like her fixation on occult and supernatural subjects as well as her extreme knowledge of them also contributes since people with autism exhibit special interests with a massive fixation on them. Her lack of empathy yet understanding of sympathy also checks off.

It could be a mixture of both but maybe her grandmother could be sheltering her for more than just the reasoning stated in prior episodes.

Honestly, Japan having autistic characters or characters who exhibit autistic traits isn't all that surprising considering Japan has the highest rate of autism in the world (161 cases per 10,000 children when on average it should be 1 in 10,000).
Jun 29, 2017 7:50 AM

May 2017
The easiest way to tell if she's autistic is to compare her to Shiina Mashiro

She's definitely autistic imo
Jun 29, 2017 12:54 PM

Jun 2017
seconds_to_dere said:
The easiest way to tell if she's autistic is to compare her to Shiina Mashiro

She's definitely autistic imo

Oh DEFINITELY. I see a lot of similarities between the two, so I guess Riri could be autistic.
Jun 30, 2017 3:23 AM
Sep 2016
She's not autistic at all, rather it is extremely worrisome that you'd think so of her.

People who don't really blend in are normal and there's nothing wrong in their brain for being this way.

Jun 30, 2017 3:35 AM

Jun 2014
Cure Custard is autistic.

I don't think this girl is.
Jun 30, 2017 11:43 AM
Jan 2011
I would say Ririko has high-functioning autism.
Jun 30, 2017 10:14 PM

Apr 2016
Rather than autism, I'm positive that she is just an extreme introvert, like myself. There's still a possibility that she could be autistic, but it's nearly impossible to tell given she's, well, animated. Even if she was real, we'd need more than just her actions and mannerisms to tell. Therefore, if she was indeed autistic, I feel that they would be putting in more hints or just outright telling us.
Also, Shiina Mashiro was mentioned as being autistic, but this is also not true, as she instead quite clearly has savant syndrome. I recommend that everyone does a little bit of research on autism, as it's quite interesting and is more and more people are starting to get wrongfully titled as autistic.

PS: Ririko is actually the closest character to myself mannerism-wise that I have ever seen. It makes me happy that the industry is starting to show more of us ultra-introverted socially anxious kinds!
BorbelliJun 30, 2017 10:18 PM
Jul 1, 2017 1:45 AM

May 2017
Borbelli said:
Rather than autism, I'm positive that she is just an extreme introvert, like myself. There's still a possibility that she could be autistic, but it's nearly impossible to tell given she's, well, animated. Even if she was real, we'd need more than just her actions and mannerisms to tell. Therefore, if she was indeed autistic, I feel that they would be putting in more hints or just outright telling us.
Also, Shiina Mashiro was mentioned as being autistic, but this is also not true, as she instead quite clearly has savant syndrome. I recommend that everyone does a little bit of research on autism, as it's quite interesting and is more and more people are starting to get wrongfully titled as autistic.

PS: Ririko is actually the closest character to myself mannerism-wise that I have ever seen. It makes me happy that the industry is starting to show more of us ultra-introverted socially anxious kinds!

Dude, Shiina Mashiro being autistic is canon, it's in the wiki, the author confirmed it
Jul 20, 2017 12:27 AM
Jul 2017
A person who is Autistic is hard to define, some are smart and active and others are dumb!
Jul 20, 2017 10:01 AM

Jul 2014
"There's a difference between "not good at talking in front of crowds" and "autistic"."

Exactly. And I think with this you answer yourself. She's an introverted, eccentric person with too much free time, who is obsessed with some weird thing. There is a difference with that, and autism.

But the biggest problem is that the question may not make sense. In this way: Ririko is not a person, with all the disorders a person can have. She's a character guided by a script and may not even have in her description all the traits which make someone human. So even if her behavior matches something in the autism spectrum, she may not have any of that, depending of the script's author intentions.

For example I could say, by the behavior of the Spanish people in the anime, that all of them are super-retarded and some of them also schizophrenic (Or they smoke some weird thing). But the author clearly didn't mean to make them seem so.

Furthermore, a story may describe some character as someone with autism, but that may or may not coincide with what autism is in real life.

TL;DR: You can't diagnose autism on a character.
LeviathanTheEspJul 20, 2017 10:06 AM
Jul 28, 2017 4:00 AM

Sep 2008
I would have to say no. I don't believe the author's/work's intent was to portray an autistic character, but rather just to have a clearly unique individual who had difficulty connecting with others. This was used by the show to discuss and explore the dilemma - and I thnk that was the extent of it.

In my opinion, if you use some of the "signs" of autism to diagnose anime characters with it, you'd find many characters could be on the spectrum (anime dialogue being what it is most of the time...), but almost always it comes down to their idiosyncrasies.
Aug 2, 2017 1:48 PM

Jan 2014
Another high quality thread on MAL (>.<)

But to answer the question: no, she isn't. She just doesn't have a mainstream taste and is rather introverted. However, as someone who knows a few people with various degrees of autism and aspergers; I can tell you, that's not how it works.
LaionidasAug 3, 2017 1:37 AM
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Aug 3, 2017 3:29 AM

Jan 2014
This is a rather interesting discussion since we don't have any confirmed thing about Ririko it is hard to say if the creators of the show has tought she should be an autism. But there are definitely some signs that could point to that she in some sort of way is and also signs that points to she is not. Anyway I don't think it is something that really will be touch on anyway in the show.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakura Quest Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2017

65 by Leftu »»
Oct 2, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Sakura Quest Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2017

184 by EsieEyen »»
Jul 19, 3:32 AM

Poll: » Sakura Quest Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2017

55 by Rahul_101 »»
Apr 30, 9:20 PM

Poll: » Sakura Quest Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 5, 2017

85 by wildhood »»
Apr 30, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Sakura Quest Episode 19 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2017

46 by Rahul_101 »»
Apr 30, 1:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.