Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think it is wise to have a calm attitude at all times?

New
May 8, 2017 8:52 PM

Aug 2013
Placidity. For millennia this has seemed to be the chief characteristic of the wisest people. Why is this? I attribute it to these reasons of mental illness that I elucidated here: https://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=800881

Hyperactivity causes mood disturbance, and mood disturbance prevents wisdom. Regardless of your knowledge, if you're disturbed then you're not going to communicate it wisely nor listen to the other person properly.

I endorse placidity. With that said, there is definitely a place for an active attitude in a sensible person's life. So, do you think it is wise to have a calm attitude at all times, or do you think it is wiser to find an appropriate balance?
JustaCratMay 10, 2017 1:04 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 12, 2017 3:40 AM

Dec 2009
To paraphrase Spock, one must not allow one's passions to govern one's actions. Thinkers who embrace stoicism understand or at least believe that emotional pathology cannot lead to truth and can often lead to harm should it inform one's actions. By prohibiting emotion from influencing their problem-solving, stoics hope to enjoy the benefits of unbiased clarity in their wisdom. Of course as we saw in roman philosophy, sometimes stoicism would come off as complete apathy. Balance in all things I suppose; it's best to be calm but don't let emotional restraint hold you back from acting
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
May 12, 2017 3:30 PM

Mar 2012
I think it's fine to have a few completely placid gurus around, but I wouldn't want to live in a society full of them. Expressing emotion is, on the balance, healthy for individuals and societies, despite the problems associated with it. For the average person, trying to achieve complete placidity would be a form of unhealthy repression.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 12, 2017 6:57 PM

Aug 2013
@Josh

Don't misunderstand placidity. Placidity just means free from mood disturbance, and it just so happens that hyperactivity can cause mood disturbance. With calmness you give yourself the best chance of not getting disturbed,
May 12, 2017 11:22 PM

Feb 2016

Now, to answer your question, is it wise to be calm at all times? Depends on the situation. If you are faced with an important decision, it's best to be rational rather than emotional. However, if you're celebrating something or have some sort of event where emotional input is required, say for instance being social with friends, then it may not be wise to be calm and calculating.

May 12, 2017 11:30 PM

Aug 2013
@Saucy

Understand that hyperactivity is simply abnormal or extreme activity in the brain that is sometimes disruptive and it should make perfect sense to you. Try to realise this.
May 13, 2017 9:01 AM

Feb 2016
JustaBrer said:
@Saucy

Understand that hyperactivity is simply abnormal or extreme activity in the brain that is sometimes disruptive and it should make perfect sense to you. Try to realise this.

Right.

I realize that you're using hyperactivity in a more literal sense of something being "hyper" "active," in this case, the brain.

But the thing is, that's not the cause of all mental illness, in fact, sometimes it's a symptom. And as I've mentioned before, some mental disorders involve slowed or declining cognitive function.

You just have a general problem with fitting all mental illness under your umbrella. How do you deal with psychopathy? Sociopaths? Depression? Autism? Down syndrome?

I suggest you narrow your scope if you want to keep that terminology.

May 13, 2017 9:23 AM

Aug 2013
@Saucy

All are enduring mood disturbances caused by hyperactivity, and some are conflated with physical defects.
May 13, 2017 10:18 AM

Feb 2016
JustaBrer said:
@Saucy

All are enduring mood disturbances caused by hyperactivity, and some are conflated with physical defects.

Sure, but that's not mental illness. Being anxious is a mood disturbance, aint a mental illness.

May 13, 2017 12:29 PM

Feb 2016
Anxiety is a mental illness?

May 13, 2017 2:11 PM

Aug 2013
Yes.

I've found the answer to this question. It is wiser to find an appropriate balance and experience good activity.
JustaCratMay 15, 2017 10:36 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Death

Saucy - Jun 10, 2017

0 by Saucy »»
Jun 10, 2017 10:48 AM

» Is globalism/nationalism replacing left/right as the most salient political divide?

Josh - Jun 1, 2017

0 by Josh »»
Jun 1, 2017 5:45 PM

» What are you currently reading?

JustaCrat - May 21, 2017

8 by Esch »»
May 24, 2017 9:41 PM

Sticky: » Introductions thread

JustaCrat - Apr 28, 2017

6 by thegreatnathyboy »»
May 14, 2017 10:37 AM

» Any thoughts on this essay I wrote fairly recently?

JustaCrat - May 5, 2017

7 by JustaCrat »»
May 10, 2017 5:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.