Forum Settings
Forums

The ending of Pupa (for those that can't wait, or thinking there wont be any scanlation)

New
Feb 4, 2017 8:41 AM
Nov 2010
It seems that translation for this manga is dead for awhile now with no hint that it is ever going to begin again.

I know how many people feel about situation like this (tons of low-key awesome manga faced the same issue).

Fortunately for me, I manage to find a scanlation of those unsub chapter online but it is in chinese. Me being a chinese (and can read minimum chinese) I manage to understand the story and finally finished it.

Here is the link for any other people who know how to read chinese.
http://www.dm5.com/manhua-pupa/

Unfortunately, doing a translation form that is impossible for me, since I do not have the required technique required to clean/typeset/anything related to modifying the manga it self

That being said, feel free to ask me about anything regarding this manga and I will try to explain to you what each bubble is trying to say

PS: Although I am Chinese, my Chinese reading skill is sub-par so expect some discrepancies. However, I should be able to get the jiss of the story correct.
Hi
Feb 4, 2017 9:11 AM
Nov 2010
Hi
Feb 4, 2017 10:01 AM
Nov 2010
Hi
Feb 4, 2017 10:03 AM
Nov 2010
and there we go.

I can really make sense of the ending but I guess that is just how it is.

Feel free to ask me to clarify any issue
Hi
Feb 4, 2017 10:30 AM

Dec 2015
zenitro said:
It seems that translation for this manga is dead for awhile now with no hint that it is ever going to begin again.

Isn't this manga already fully published in several countries (notably the United States) ?

Anyway, for anyone who can read french, the last volume (of the thicker edition) will be released at the end of march (2017, obviously).
Feb 4, 2017 5:33 PM
Nov 2010
Rei366 said:
zenitro said:

Isn't this manga already fully published in several countries (notably the United States) ?

Anyway, for anyone who can read french, the last volume (of the thicker edition) will be released at the end of march (2017, obviously).

doubt it. After a simple search on google, I can't find any copy of any oversea publisher.

If somehow you manage to get your hand on a english copy then good for you. You might want to request for a unicorn too just in case they exist as well
Hi
Feb 5, 2017 3:09 AM

Dec 2015
@zenitro First, thank yyou for the answer. Secondly, sorry if my fairy tales threatened you.

Unicorns exist, they live in the ocean.

@rick1-2 There are technically more than two supplemental chapters. The french edition has three or four "bonus" (~5chapters, don't have the books under the hand) separated on the three double tomes. No epilogue though.
The most interesting bonus chapter, I think, is "The island of Maria". Otherwise, there is a short episode when Yume and Utsutsu are on the island and more light things.

edit @rick1-2 Sorry for the delay! (it was hard to figure out where they were placed, and I kept starting to read whatever book I picked up that I had not seen for a long time -_-)
So, the first two bonus chapters are indeed "the seven days..." (part 1and2), then "Comic strips" (the 4-koma pages), the "easy cooking of Pupa", "Unlucky Boy" (more interesting), "Maria's island" (worth it), "You, my love" (interesting) and another comic strips collection.
Those last three bonuses start as soon as the 32nd chapter ends (those pages with them shown at different periods). Note that the Maria chapter acts as some sort of epilogue, given that his brother remembers the story while "eating" her through the apple.
Voilà.

edit @rick1-2 You probably misread the island chapter, because it was fairly straight-forward, expressing things who were hinted at during the main manga.
The Seven Days of Yume and Utsutsu part 1 and 2:
When? After Maria gave Utsutsu the "vaccine" to heal Yume during her feeding.
What? The life of the heroes at home. Utsutsu starts to be scared by his sister but goes over it and decides to take her to school little by little.
Unlucky Boy:
When? During the early childhood of the heroes.
What? How Yume got her hair pin.
Maria's Island:
When? Set after the 32nd chapter. BUt we see events from the childhood of Hotoki and Mari.
What? Hotoki/Makoto tells us a part of his past, a moment after his sister's birth. We learn among other things Mari/Ai's motivation and how his brother fell in love with her. Onijima guest-stars in it naturally.
Where the hell is Maria then? She fused with the island, her own brother tells us that in the penultimate page.
Is she dead, considering that her brother tells us that the birthed pupa larva went on its own and integrated with the island? Well, the french text says "She (maria) suceeded... to carry a baby pupa in order to channel its power... But everything went wrong and she (Maria) ended up fusioning with the island.". Hence, the dobl-meaning title. He also add that this way he could finally become one with his sister.
The problem you had here seems to be a case of mistranslation. Maybe those scanlations who are suddenly available are based on the french edition but were made by someone who didn't get the pronouns exact reference. Or it's you who misreaded.
Dearest You:
When? When the heroes are living on the island, right before Yû's death.
What? Yû escaped the laboratory and had a final conversation with his soulmate before he finally died.

The best way is still to buy the actual volumes ;) (12€ x 3)
https://www.amazon.fr/Pupa-3-Sayaka-Mogi/dp/2372871870

@rick1-2 Sorry but this has to stop. It looks like you do not read what you read. Make an effort please. Having to tell what each chapter was was okay, but I won't go through the trouvle of transposing the content of the dialogues. Please buy the books if you liked the manga.
I think the main problem is that you don't read english properly. For example: I didn't wrote that the island was named Onishijima, I was telling that Onijima was present in the flashback of the "Maria's Island" chapter.
Rei_IIIAug 3, 2017 1:23 PM
Jul 28, 2017 11:27 AM
Jul 2017
hello, zenitro, I want to ask you something about the manga ending, for clarification. Okay, Yuu in some weird place, alive and well, states that both he and her (Yume or Maria) know how to end the life of a pupa, either through death or emergence. Yume and Utsutsu chose emergence, with the former letting the latter decide what they should do (Chapter 32 is out in English Scanlations now). Utsutsu tells Yume if she was ready for what they're going to do, where she says yes, before they do what happened in the next paragraph from here. What does emergence/evolution mean here in this context?

The two siblings clearly want to stay together and stay as themselves (as Yume and Utsutsu, not as monsters), so they proceed to eat each other before the both of them contently hug one another with a happy smile on their faces, where they then proceed to completely melt into red butterflies immediately after hugging (and devouring) each other happily (they were still hugging while dissolving completely), leaving only their hairpins behind (the only things that remain of the two, their bodies are completely transformed and gone) at the exact same spot where they melt into butterflies, not one piece of their bodies there at all. The two devoured each other to the point that they were on the verge of melting into butterflies, where they do after hugging eaxh other? Doesn't make sense.

Why did both Yume and Utsutsu dissolve completely into butterflies? Is that symbolic in any way? Why did they devour each other until they completely melt into butterflies? Did the two siblings truely die after that transformation? Why die at all? Couldn't they find another way to save one another besides eating other and dying after melting into butterflies? I UNDERSTAND that they were able to come back to their human senses and die as themselves, not as monsters, considering they smiled contently immediately before dissolving into butterflies and dying, but I want both Yume and Utsutsu to live after all the shit they went. Wasn't there another way instead of the two ways Yuu said in their dreams?

Also, a few pages right before the end of the final chapter, we see Yume and Utsutsu walking together in some place around some of their butterfly selves as they grow older in the pages, from toddlers to their current high school selves. At the pages where they're at their high school age, the two siblings smile at one another happily before they immediately begin to melt into butterflies while walking(we don't see them completely melting onscreen, just the beginning of them starting to melt while they'are smiling), seeing one or two coming from their hair, before the scene cuts to their hairpins on the exact spot where they die(?)(with the words "I love you" said to each other), the ONLY things that remain of them after dissolving and dying.

What's the point of those last few pages? What's the meaning behind them? Is it suppose to show that Utsutsu and Yume are in a better place now? Where are those butterflies going? Also, in this chapter and the previous chapter, Utsutsu wasn't able to save Yume? From what, from being assimiliated by Maria? He wasn't able to truly remove Maria from Yume, even though he was able to eat practically every single one of the Yume clones until he found the original one who woke up as herself at the end of chapter 31, from where he turned back to his human form, despite his monster form killing him? I found this at TV Tropes, under the Bittersweet Ending for Pupa's webpage.

I have even more questions about this, but this is currently what I have for now for you to answer. You can at the TV Tropes page for Pupa for information about Utsutsu and Yume's decision to die(?) there for more clarification. I just want some closure, especially since at the last page of the final chapter that the translator or author stated that there were suppose to be MORE chapters to come. Does that mean that there's an epilogue chapter coming as Chapters 33 and 34, or is it just the two side chapters which are already translated, Chapters 11.5 and 22.5/26.5?

I hope to hear from you soon!

@Rei366 I know that there are extra, bonus chapters, about four of them. They're "The Seven Days of Yume and Utsutsu (Ch. 11.5)", "Unlucky Boy (Ch. 22.5 OR 26.5)", "Maria's Island (Ch. 32.5)", and the other that you mentioned about, a short chapter when Yume and Utsutsu were still on Monaki Island (Do you know the name of this chapter?). There are also 3 Omakes. So, there's no sort of epilogue, right? I mean, "The Island of Maria" shows us Maria's past and how she behaved there. Please reply once you read this.

@Rei366 So, what you're saying is that the extra chapters, in order, are "The Seven Days of Yume and Utsutsu" (with Omake 1) (Chapter 11.5), Omake 2 (with the 3-minute Pupa cooking hour and "Unlucky Boy") (Chapter 22.5, not Chapter 26.5 which contains Unlucky Boy and part of Omake 3), "Maria's Island" (Chapter 32.5), and then "Dearest You" (with Omake 3) (Chapter 32.6)? The last three extra chapters that start after Chapter 32 are Maria's Island, Dearest You, and Omake 3, correct? Are the first two bonus chapters the two-part "The Seven Days" chapter only? "Maria's Island" is some sort of epilogue for the story? If so, where the hell is Maria then? Is she dead? I mean, considering that her brother tells us that the birthed pupa larva went on its own and integrated with the island? What? Can you explain this, along with my other questions in this reply? Hope to hear from you soon.

@Rei366 Hey, Rei366, can you check my questions above here and answer them?

@Rei366 So, for ''Maria's Island'', can you tell me what are the things that the chapter expressed which were hinted at during the main manga plot? Maria's motivation is that she wanted to become a monster since her own parents' were afraid of her? So it wasn't curiosity that drove her? Also, Maria FUSED with the island itself after she gave birth to the pupa larvae? I just thought that Maria died or emerged, not be fused with the island after everything went wrong, what with her turning back into her human form and talking to her brother a final(?) time before passing out in Chapter 32? I mean, she was rendered exhausted from Utsutsu killing the fake Yumes and rescuing the real Yume by tearing parts of her cancerous like self off of her until there was notjing left of her on the real Yume. I know that this is set after Chapter 32 for the last few pages, but about how much time has passed since Utsutsu and Yume emerged into butterflies(?)? There was no Pupa flesh covering the island. I also want to talk to you about Chapter 32, and why Utsutsu and Yume took the path to emerge as they did in the chapter. What are their reasons?

Also, for the Dearest You chapter, I know that it was set during chapter 21(?), about some time after Utsutsu told Yume of his plan for the both of them to go to Maria's laboratory to save the real Yu. Is that right? I think that at least a day has passed since he decided that they would leave Monaki Island (It was called Onijishima?) the full moon, and until then, they lived on the island. Also, when you said that Yu finally died after talking to Yume for the last time, do you mean when Maria had her child devour his real body, killing him for good? The Yu that Utsutsu ate in Chapter 21 was only an experimental body before the former had to get backtto his real body? Sorry for the long-ass questions, but there's so many of them to ask. Also, what did Yuu talk about with Yume? I know he told her about emergence and a solar eclipse is coming, but what does that mean?

Just answer the questiona in separate paragraphs, and take your time doing so.
rick1-2Aug 2, 2017 2:06 PM

More topics from this board

» Pupa: manga vs. anime

Dr_Buttersworth - Nov 1, 2017

8 by mertsi »»
Sep 25, 2023 11:32 AM

» this isn't 34 chapters long

MahoShojoEnjoyer - Dec 9, 2022

1 by TheColdMayor »»
Jan 3, 2023 9:16 PM

Poll: » Pupa Chapter 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2013

7 by sourfrog »»
May 15, 2022 1:20 PM

Poll: » Pupa Chapter 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2013

4 by sourfrog »»
May 15, 2022 1:10 PM

Poll: » Pupa Chapter 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

6 by sourfrog »»
May 15, 2022 12:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.