Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Asterisk War (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 25, 2017 5:51 AM

Oct 2016
It's a harem what do you expect a deep rooted romance? I haven't seen season 2 yet so I will watch it now I saw season 1 a long time ago but It reminds me a lot of Absolute Duo.
Jan 25, 2017 7:22 AM

Mar 2016
@SeasonADay

Ah i assume you haven't heard of Digibro and what he did to this series lol. Either way, well, probably cause some think it's another generic battle school harem with mediocre execution .
Jan 25, 2017 7:24 AM

Oct 2016
DragonSlayer_19 said:
@SeasonADay

Ah i assume you haven't heard of Digibro and what he did to this series lol. Either way, well, probably cause some think it's another generic battle school harem with mediocre execution .
I may have finished it actually I'll have to re-watch an episode. They got to the phoenix festival season 1 or didn't get to it season 2?
Jan 25, 2017 7:27 AM

Mar 2016
SeasonADay said:
DragonSlayer_19 said:
@SeasonADay

I may have finished it actually I'll have to re-watch an episode. They got to the phoenix festival season 1 or didn't get to it season 2?

I honestly forgot. I've yet to finish the 2nd season . If i try to recall, i guess they were covering the phoenix fiesta or something like that , not very sure.
Jan 25, 2017 7:30 AM
Jul 2018
The reason why people hates this is either:

- It's generic as fuck (which is something I can't deny, but then again it's just mediocre, it didn't do anything wrong in itself to the point of an insult)

- The hate mostly raised maybe when it was airing in Fall 2015 because there was another show called Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry (which is my favorite show), both had the same setting and genres, both of them aired at the same day. This was pretty much vent or something.

- People would hate it because its A-1 Pictures (I can kinda see the hate in a way but at the same time I do not)

- People would hate it because of what Digibro have stated (which is fucking bullshit since most of his points are mostly being picky and not to mention he milked it with a review as a plus, since he addressed it a year ago as to why it sucked) hence why people would join on the bandwagon.

- Some people would hate it for the characters themselves (I don't agree with all of them being terrible, as at least Kirin and Julius are decent characters in my honest opinion, let alone one of the few decent characters that had development present in the show and its been a while with that if you take away Rakudai from it), tho for some of the other characters I can sort of see it.

- For how cliche and tropey it is (well, that's all to people's taste, at this point I got used to it too much to where I personally thought it was generic).

Now though, I won't generalize as everyone would hate these because of the reasons, but I've seen some of these things in runtime with this show. So I'm just pointing out from what I saw as to why people would hate it.
Jan 25, 2017 7:32 AM

Oct 2016
Symphyon said:

- It's generic as fuck (which is something I can't deny, but then again it's just mediocre, it didn't do anything wrong in itself to the point of an insult)

- The hate mostly raised maybe when it was airing in Fall 2015 because there was another show called Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry (which is my favorite show), both had the same setting and genres, both of them aired at the same day. This was pretty much vent or something.

- People would hate it because its A-1 Pictures (I can kinda see the hate in a way but at the same time I do not)

- People would hate it because of what Digibro have stated (which is fucking bullshit since most of his points are mostly being picky and not to mention he milked it with a review as a plus, since he addressed it a year ago as to why it sucked) hence why people would join on the bandwagon.

- Some people would hate it for the characters themselves (I don't agree with all of them being terrible, as at least Kirin and Julius are decent characters in my honest opinion, let alone one of the few decent characters that had development present in the show and its been a while with that if you take away Rakudai from it), tho for some of the other characters I can sort of see it.

- For how cliche and tropey it is (well, that's all to people's taste, at this point I got used to it too much to where I personally thought it was generic).

Now though, I won't generalize as everyone would hate these because of the reasons, but I've seen some of these things in runtime with this show. So I'm just pointing out from what I saw as to why people would hate it.

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry is way better.
I hate digbro and people like him tbh
Jan 25, 2017 7:34 AM
Jul 2018
SeasonADay said:
Symphyon said:

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry is way better

Uh I can't really deny that factor of course, but I'm just pointing the reasons or one of the reasons why Gakusen gets hated and its not because one of them is better than the other, it's just those two aired at the same day and people hated the LN action school battle tourney harem shows. That's what I am saying.
Jan 25, 2017 7:37 AM

Mar 2016
Symphyon said:

the A-1 hate has become cringey at this point cause let's ignore the staff and source material and just spout "A-1" lol , I agree with your points though. It's like Ubisoft for games lmao even I still don't mind giving ubisoft games at chance at least .
Jan 25, 2017 7:45 AM
Jul 2018
DragonSlayer_19 said:
Symphyon said:

the A-1 hate has become cringey at this point cause let's ignore the staff and source material and just spout "A-1" lol , I agree with your points though. It's like Ubisoft for games lmao even I still don't mind giving ubisoft games at chance at least .

Yeah and the hate seems pretty much to the point where it's baffling. The thing is, if I can be very honest, you can't really determine whether a show can be good or bad as a whole base on the track record of the studio alone. You have to check a lot into account to it... maybe it gives you a bit of an idea, but not overall. I have to agree that there's staff and source, but nah, people will go and get this close mindset because "Oh its A-1 so it must be fucking shit."

Uh no studio are flawless, I mean... lets give an example:

Madhouse is pretty much beloved by a lot of fans, but will that alone guarantee a good show?

Well, look at Chaos;Head (I forgot about it completely but I heard it was an abysmal adaptation from a lot of VN readers), Mahou Sensou (I don't even have to talk about this honestly... and if I do then I will make more paragraphs as to why its just insulting the source and the author's own decision towards this), and Mahouka (Its rushed but its because Mahouka's LN structure is complex to translate).

No studio are flawless masterpieces, that's what I'm going at. Also, judging a show based on the studio is like looking at cookies based on the package without even tasting it first. You get what I'm saying?
Jan 25, 2017 7:51 AM

Oct 2016
Symphyon said:
DragonSlayer_19 said:

Yeah and the hate seems pretty much to the point where it's baffling. The thing is, if I can be very honest, you can't really determine whether a show can be good or bad as a whole base on the track record of the studio alone. You have to check a lot into account to it... maybe it gives you a bit of an idea, but not overall. I have to agree that there's staff and source, but nah, people will go and get this close mindset because "Oh its A-1 so it must be fucking shit."

Uh no studio are flawless, I mean... lets give an example:

Madhouse is pretty much beloved by a lot of fans, but will that alone guarantee a good show?

Well, look at Chaos;Head (I forgot about it completely but I heard it was an abysmal adaptation from a lot of VN readers), Mahou Sensou (I don't even have to talk about this honestly... and if I do then I will make more paragraphs as to why its just insulting the source and the author's own decision towards this), and Mahouka (Its rushed but its because Mahouka's LN structure is complex to translate).

No studio are flawless masterpieces, that's what I'm going at. Also, judging a show based on the studio is like looking at cookies based on the package without even tasting it first. You get what I'm saying?

I agree. I think that every studio has the ability to do a a terrible job in IMO... Guilty Crown.
Yuki_NonakaJan 25, 2017 7:54 AM
Feb 10, 2017 1:58 PM

Jun 2015
I realized by the ~20th episode that it was just incredibly boring. There's nothing offensive about it, but all the characters are generic and uninteresting, and it was clear that any direction they went with the plot wasn't going to go deep enough to matter.

Also, halfway through the season, the other shows in the season got really good, and there was no reason to keep watching.

I don't hate this series. I just hate that this got 24 episodes while Rakudai only got 12.
Mar 12, 2017 10:26 PM

May 2016
I think the biggest problem with this show is that while it had a rather intriguing concept(hence why I actually liked it) the story and setting didn't do it justice. Since I'm currently reading the LNs it rather baffles me that the author chose to have a school academy/tournament story instead of an adventure story since the author is a big fan of RPGs.

There are so many things that could have maded this anime better. When I took the time to really into TAW I found that it reminded me a lot of Final Fantasy VII. Had it been more like that, I think it would have stood out more.

Here some of the changes I cam up with:

1. Instead of schools the academies are actually the six major factions of the world and tensions between them are always high to the point of boiling over.

2. Instead of portraying the Integrated Enterprise Foundation as a evil greedy mega corporation(something we've seen so many times before both in Hollywood and in anime) they are actually the new United Nations that is trying so desperately hard to keep things together and to prevent a world war from breaking out between the Genestella because their could end up destroying the world and are using the tournaments as a way to relieve their aggressive rivalries between each other.

3. Like FFVII, start out in the city but then move onto the characters travelling around the world after a unexpected event devastates the both the tournaments and the city and forces the characters from all six school(factions) to work together in order to save the world.

And for a plot twist: What if Invertia wasn't a natural disaster but was actually celestial being from another world who speaks telepathically to certain Genestella?

There are many other things I could suggest but those alone might have made a better story. It's a really sad shame that this anime got treated so badly because of the author's decision to play it safe instead of trying to do something different.

Perhaps a few years from now, when people have forgotten about this anime and have found something else to rant about, people who initially hated this anime might look back at it, take a closer look, and realize, "You know what? Maybe this anime wasn't as bad we thought it was, it just wasn't as good as it could have been.".

Despite it serious flaws, there was something there that could have made this anime a whole lot better. But we got what we got, and it ended up getting a bad reputation because of it.
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2016

152 by Neemesis_2 »»
Aug 31, 7:07 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2016

82 by Neemesis_2 »»
Aug 31, 6:39 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2016

80 by Neemesis_2 »»
Aug 31, 6:12 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 28, 2016

104 by Neemesis_2 »»
Aug 28, 7:16 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 21, 2016

78 by Neemesis_2 »»
Aug 28, 6:45 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.