Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 7, 2017 3:46 AM

Sep 2008
Are you interested in learning Japanese, but don't know where to start? How about asking for some advice and help. Feel free to post your opinion and experiences with the delightfully expressive language that is Japanese.

Japanese consists of three alphabets: Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji. A layman explanation for each: [ひらがな]Hiragana is basically the phonetic alphabet they use to write with, either separately or alongside Kanji. [カタカナ] Katakana is also a phonetic alphabet, but used primarily to write foreign words. [漢字]Kani are Chinese characters that are used by the Japanese as well, and can be seen as pictographs that represent complete words, as opposed to phonetic sounds.

Generally Kanji is the prefered written medium, but often times words are written in Hiragana for artistic purposes or to cater to younger people who can't read certain Kanji, yet. A common solution to the problem of Kanji not being understood by certain audiences is the use of Furigana, which consists of writing the pronunciation of the Kanji in Hiragana or Katakana above it.

Katakana and Hiragana each consist of just under 50 symbols, whereas school taught Kanji stop at about 2136 (there are many more though). Finally there is Romaji. We all know it and love using it. This is basically us writing Japanese words with our alphabet. Watashitachi wa baka dakara.

But enough about that, what are your thoughts and experiences?

[EDIT] 2017-06-28
If you are interested in perhaps learning Japanese and would like to do so in Japan, I would suggest you head to GoGoNihon They have information on some of the best schools. They also help in visa preparations. And even better, everything's in English.
Cyberfire777Jun 28, 2017 8:13 AM
***Visit KHDownloads for the best free anime music and OST downloads!!***
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 25, 2017 7:54 PM

Dec 2014
I'm also learning japanese slowly :) I know kana and very few phrases. Kanji is damn intimidating though!
I was here? Prove it.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» [Club Thread] Greetings / Introductions ( 1 2 )

Nyaa - Mar 22, 2012

94 by knockturnl »»
Apr 22, 2020 12:11 PM

» Buying Manga in South Africa

removed-user - Feb 4, 2018

2 by ATMG »»
Sep 23, 2019 12:50 PM

» Crunchyroll in South Africa

Jemuzu - Feb 6, 2016

1 by UknwWhu »»
May 14, 2016 1:40 AM

» Let's all form a whatsapp group!!

Shivar - Aug 3, 2012

38 by SakuraAnime »»
Apr 25, 2016 9:28 AM

» Fancon

removed-user - Apr 15, 2016

2 by removed-user »»
Apr 22, 2016 12:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.