Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 13, 2016 11:57 AM
Jul 2008
After finished watching it, I became curious about the score system.

Canaria was 10th, how can she became 10th? She only sing in the battle, did singing get her score too?

Aoi said that she used to be the right hand of Tenkawa until Hotaru took over which mean she was the vice head right? She's really strong and almost beat Asuha but why her name did not appear in the board?

While at that, I don't understand why Asuha was the 2nd. Tenkawa and Hotaru's rank are understandable, they have overpowered large area skiils that can instantly kill enemies. Asuha also can't fly while Suzaku who can fly and have area skills was below her.
Oct 17, 2016 4:26 AM
Dec 2014
I think they rate combat skills. Therefore I think that Canaria's skill was credited a lot, because it increases the combat power of everyone around her.
Aoi's skill has no impact on combat. It is useful in information transfer.
Asuha can't fly, but as shown her ice gun skill allowed her to model the area according to requirements. This is a useful battle skill too I think.
Kasumi on the other hand has no skill that makes him special. He's an exceptionally good sniper, but that itself wasn't enough reason to rate him above #200.

However, I think it's also possible that the staff didn't give a lot of thought into the order.
RisingSun452Oct 17, 2016 4:29 AM
Oct 17, 2016 6:44 AM
Jul 2008
Orcane said:
I think they rate combat skills. Therefore I think that Canaria's skill was credited a lot, because it increases the combat power of everyone around her.
Aoi's skill has no impact on combat. It is useful in information transfer.
Asuha can't fly, but as shown her ice gun skill allowed her to model the area according to requirements. This is a useful battle skill too I think.
Kasumi on the other hand has no skill that makes him special. He's an exceptionally good sniper, but that itself wasn't enough reason to rate him above #200.

However, I think it's also possible that the staff didn't give a lot of thought into the order.

Now that you mention Kasumi, ti made me think that it's weird he had such low rank. He killed many enemies faraway and supported his teammates really good. Not to mention he did all the administrative works as vice head too.

If they rate combat skills, it's weird that Asuha above Hotaru. Hotaru was shown killing many enemies with ease while Asuha need to put some effort. The Kanagawa team was also shown sufficient enough to wipe whole army by themselves, really overpowered.
That's why I'm curious about the score. I also want to see other members who were in the score board
Oct 18, 2016 9:00 AM
Nov 2008
LeonLanford said:
Canaria was 10th, how can she became 10th? She only sing in the battle, did singing get her score too?

As mentioned by Orcane, points that contribute to the ranking can be racked up through other ways besides the fastest main method, which is destroying Unknowns, and that include supporting other members, and various other non-combat related activities. Canaria is responsible for buffing/fortifying the other combatants, that in itself is added to her evaluation. She can also debuff/debilitate her opponents. Any kind of contribution to the defense cities is taken into account in the individual student's evaluation. The previous subhead and eventual head of Tokyo before Ichiya took over her position had telepathy (similar to Aoi) as her World and she too was mostly in the support role like Canaria is.

LeonLanford said:
Aoi said that she used to be the right hand of Tenkawa until Hotaru took over which mean she was the vice head right?

Here's the peculiar thing about Kanagawa. In all of the prequel light novels, even the one that focused on the Kanagawa arc, there is no explicit mention of who Kanagawa's subhead was before Hotaru was given that position. What was known was that Hime has been serving as the head for 10 years, but unlike Tokyo for instance which had their own heads and subheads clearly mentioned before Ichiya/Canaria replaced them in the Anime's timeline, a subhead was never revealed and named for Kanagawa throughout the entire term Hime has been the head. Instead, Hime is supported by a team known as the 神奈川四天王 (loosely translated as the "Kanagawa Big Four") who work as their school's student council together with Hime as the president. They're also her immediate subordinates in the battlefield. In the novels before the Anime's timeline, the members of the Big Four were Aoi, Ginko (ranked #5), Zakuro (#7) and one other person whom I won't go into detail about as it's a big spoiler for the novels. Anyway, something happened to that 4th member and Hotaru eventually replaced her after Hotaru was recommended and inducted into the Big Four by Hime. Although that being the case, Hotaru wasn't appointed as the subhead yet. After Hotaru had regained her real memories and some time later, it was only then that it was revealed in the Anime's timeline she became Hime's subhead.

The most likely reason why Aoi deems herself as Hime's right hand woman is due to her position as Hime's adviser both in the battlefield and in school for student council activities. During battles, she supports Hime and Kanagawa by relaying intel/messages. She's also the one who organizes and gives instructions to Kanagawa's combat teams when Hime isn't present to do so herself. In school, she's personally in charge of managing Hime's schedule (she's like Hime's assistant) as well as handling all work concerning the student council (but this is because the others were always goofing off so Aoi had to pick up after them and do their share of the workload lol). Despite all this, Aoi had never referred to herself nor had she ever been referred to by others as the subhead of Kanagawa. In Episode 12, she only called herself "Tenkawa Maihime's right hand woman" before Hotaru became the subhead (the way Aoi phrased it was "Until Rindou-san became the subhead" not "Until Rindou-san took over as the subhead"). So until a confirmation is given by Tachibana Koushi, the author who wrote Kanagawa's story, it's hard to say whether Aoi can be considered the official subhead of Kanagawa before Hotaru was given the position.

LeonLanford said:
She's really strong and almost beat Asuha but why her name did not appear in the board?

Before I go further, to clarify on what those rankings in the board usually allude to: while those rankings can be viewed as assessments on how powerful certain students are (the higher one ranks, the stronger he/she is), those rankings mostly refer to how strong and effective the students are in taking down the common enemies, the Unknowns, not how strong they are when stacked against each other (if anything, this can be seen as a secondary factor instead). With the exception of Hime who can pretty much mow down the field if she decides to go full mega sword beam, everyone else can be a dark horse to win a match if they're ever pitted against each other in a one-on-one duel or a rank battle in an official setting, regardless of their ranks. It's all down to wit, skills, battle experiences, synergy with their World etc.

Anyway, the simplest and crudest idea I could think of for Aoi's case is that her contribution could be evaluated differently from the others i.e. the way she racks up points in her support role is different from Canaria for example.

Besides that, this could also be for narrative's sake. Maybe Speakeasy deliberately didn't put her among the top rankers so that the shock of her actually being strong has a bigger impact when it's revealed later in the story, much like how Asuha underestimated her abilities and was taken by surprise during their cat fight.

LeonLanford said:
While at that, I don't understand why Asuha was the 2nd. Tenkawa and Hotaru's rank are understandable, they have overpowered large area skiils that can instantly kill enemies. Asuha also can't fly while Suzaku who can fly and have area skills was below her.

Asuha is pretty strong in her own right. Her World is the ability to control the movement of objects or to be more specific, she can directly control and interfere with the movement of objects at a molecular level. The most common manifestations of her using her World are akin to pyrokinesis (speed up the movement of particles/atoms to the point of combustion) and cryokinesis (slow down the movement of particles/atoms to the point of freezing). The way she broke and held the road to make a bridge for Hotaru in Episode 7 is another example of how she uses her World. She can't fly but she can "freeze" or "solidify" molecules in the air and use those as footholds to "walk on air". And I reckon you can take down a lot of targets if you're really skilled and trigger happy with guns like she is.

One thing to note about Hotaru. She's a "transfer student" who was kind of relatively fresh in being part of a defense city compared to the others who have been in their own respective defense cities for longer. This is unusual as children who have been woken up from their cold sleep are normally assigned to one of the three defense cities from the start. You may recall before Hotaru joined Kanagawa, she was working as an agent for a special force unit within the administration bureau so her primary job then was to carry out assignments that mostly didn't include fighting Unknowns. Therefore, she wasn't accumulating points for any of the defense cities during that time. She only started racking up points when she transferred into and then officially joined Kanagawa in her second year of high school. The number of points and her rank you see in that board are what she achieved within a span of roughly a year (compared to Hime for example, who has been part of Kanagawa and fighting Unknowns for 10 years). If Hotaru had been part of a defense city earlier, her points could have been higher.

And last but not least, probably a point that would make all of what I said above moot, that ranking list was slapped together by Tachibana so how some students are ranked could be his way of trying to be fair to the main characters written by Sagara (Tokyo) and Watari (Chiba) since Tachibana's characters are generally all very strong in the combat department.
Oct 18, 2016 10:39 AM
Jul 2008
Thanks for really good explanation! After reading it, everything makes sense.

Hotaru has only just joined and she already has that much point? Wow!

Did Asuha's World got explained in the anime? I thought her power was ice and fire element. Turned out to be an awesome power!

More topics from this board

» Qualidea Code's name meaning

Havamug - May 25

2 by AmirTheGrey »»
May 28, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Qualidea Code Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2016

111 by redorzo »»
Feb 23, 1:00 AM

Poll: » Qualidea Code Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2016

93 by redorzo »»
Feb 17, 4:22 AM

Poll: » Qualidea Code Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2016

105 by redorzo »»
Feb 14, 5:29 AM

Poll: » Qualidea Code Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2016

175 by redorzo »»
Feb 14, 5:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.