Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 21, 2016 9:52 PM

Nov 2014
To me it looks like an anime that tries hard to look smart while telling some kind of a story, and fails at both of these. Am I missing something?

Apr 21, 2016 10:43 PM

Jun 2015
Nope. You're not missing anything. Anyway, that's precisely why it is appealing to the public(though the part where it is failing at both is subjective to the viewer). I find the spy antics to be so-so but plenty of people I know are relatively surprised and find it great.
Apr 21, 2016 10:44 PM

Apr 2014
I dropped this on episode 1 so I wouldn't know lol.
Apr 21, 2016 11:51 PM
Jan 2015
At least give reasons and knowing your history of making stupid threads, I can't take anything you post seriously.
My Queens

Apr 22, 2016 1:58 AM
Mar 2010
It's best not to follow this if you're even the slightest ambivalent. The first two episodes were good but third episode completely dampened the entire momentum. This might seem to prolong as the other cast/spies will probably get each of their own episodes.
Apr 22, 2016 2:02 AM

Nov 2012
The anime community is so starved for something different from the usual that they eat this shit up despite it not being that good.
Apr 22, 2016 2:32 AM

Aug 2013
. Spy thrillers aren't common in anime.

. The historical setting (1930's close to World War 2).

. Typical fanservice that would cause distraction doesn't seem like it will be the case for this anime.

. It seems episodic so there will hopefully be a lot of character focus.

. Jazzy soundtrack.
Apr 22, 2016 2:33 AM

Mar 2015
Nice of you to be asking for other people's opinion while sprouting judgmental statement without giving any valid reasons to back up your point.
"I think it tries hard to look smart" is no form of valid criticism.

I like this show because it's premise, political and historical theme, the time period it takes place in, diverse and interesting cast, the fact that it's a spy drama, gorgeous art direction and cinematography.
DoomdoctorApr 22, 2016 2:38 AM
Apr 22, 2016 8:42 AM

Nov 2014
-Mahesvara said:
At least give reasons and knowing your history of making stupid threads, I can't take anything you post seriously.
It so happens, that your opinion means very little to me.
VanishingKira said:
The anime community is so starved for something different from the usual that they eat this shit up despite it not being that good.
That's what it looks like. I did not see any positive sides of the show after 3 episodes, besides drawn style.
DrGeroCreation said:
. Spy thrillers aren't common in anime.
I don't even remembering seeing at least 1 of them.
Doomdoctor said:
I like this show because it's premise, political and historical theme, the time period it takes place in, diverse and interesting cast, the fact that it's a spy drama, gorgeous art direction and cinematography.
It feels like I watched a bootleg version of this, I got cheated.

Apr 22, 2016 11:05 AM
Jul 2018
You won't understand just like I don't understand the appeal of many other shows out there. Simple as that.
Apr 22, 2016 11:33 AM
Jan 2015
ExTamplier said:
-Mahesvara said:
It so happens, that your opinion means very little to me

Its not an opinion, its a fact.
My Queens

Apr 22, 2016 1:13 PM

May 2015
It's exposition heavy, which means those who want their action to pick up quickly won't like it. I completely understand.

Honestly, I thought from the first episode that it would be AOTS. However, the telling not showing got magnified in the second episode, then the third episode threw the pacing entirely out of wack.

It's already dropped the top 2 spots in my top 10 to Mayoiga and Kabaneri, and it doesn't pick up within the next few episodes, it's dropping out entirely.
Apr 22, 2016 1:39 PM

Dec 2015
eh, i think it will be good

i'm not super picky and it reminds me of baccano
Apr 22, 2016 2:04 PM
Mar 2012
OMG This anime is sooooo boring oh my goooood.
Apr 22, 2016 4:34 PM

Sep 2015
Cuz' muh maturity. As simple as that.
Although is not like this show is popular or something. In fact, it's rated 7.74 (which is pretty bad for MAL standards). I don't even know why you're complaining because it isn't appealing that many viewers.

You just lost the game
Apr 22, 2016 4:57 PM

Feb 2008
Different strokes for different folks. I really am digging it so far, but I also liked Night Raid 1931 or whatever it was called. Sort of gives me that same feeling.
People are strange, when you're a stranger
Apr 22, 2016 5:10 PM

Sep 2015
ColdBreeze said:
Cishet said:
Although is not like this show is popular or something. In fact, it's rated 7.74 (which is pretty bad for MAL standards).

Woat? 7,74 is a good bit above average here. It's not really high but still good.

Not at all having in mind that most people rate with extremely high scores (8, 9, 10). That's the reason every popular anime has an 8 as average. This has an 7.74, which means it isn't overrated or overhyped. Therefore, OP making this thread confuses me, because this anime isn't being praised at all.

You just lost the game
Apr 22, 2016 5:13 PM

Oct 2013
Boring shit! With Japanese speaking engrish. Meh.
Apr 23, 2016 6:53 AM

Nov 2013
The first 2 episodes are pretty interesting but the 3rd episode is weak imo. Hope next episodes will be better. I also hope that it won't just be episodic story from each of the characters.

Still, I can't see this anime getting a decent amount of sales. Maybe production I.G is trying to explore a new territory and somehow hoping to be successful?
Apr 23, 2016 9:32 AM

Jan 2014
This show style isn't like 'usual' anime these day, more like Imitation Game movie or something similiar to that. And that's what make it interesting.
Apr 23, 2016 9:54 AM

Dec 2012
HiatusXHiatus said:
more like Imitation Game movie or something similiar to that. And that's what make it interesting.

Same thing that came to my mind while watching the first episode. Really liked that movie, it made me interested in that time period.

It has the potential to be really interesting.
Apr 27, 2016 2:09 AM
Jul 2015
I like it because it is different from the usual Ecchi and Shounen BS people get pathetic hard-ons for.
Apr 27, 2016 2:20 AM

Mar 2015
i don't understand why this prised like second comeing of originality when conrevo is neglected...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 27, 2016 2:26 AM
Jul 2018
Kuma said:
i don't understand why this prised like second comeing of originality when conrevo is neglected...

where did you get the idea that JG is prised?
Apr 27, 2016 2:38 AM

Mar 2015
yuliyana29 said:
Kuma said:

you can just see the coment above dude... it mature! it's not ecchi, it's not shounen shit... no shit sherlock....
KumaApr 27, 2016 2:42 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 27, 2016 2:40 AM

Feb 2011
Cishet said:
ColdBreeze said:

Woat? 7,74 is a good bit above average here. It's not really high but still good.

Not at all having in mind that most people rate with extremely high scores (8, 9, 10). That's the reason every popular anime has an 8 as average. This has an 7.74, which means it isn't overrated or overhyped. Therefore, OP making this thread confuses me, because this anime isn't being praised at all.

look at this http://graph.anime.plus/s/globals
the global average score is: 7.15

so being rated "now" 7.71 is "above average" by MAL standards,
and i agree with it being above average (but it's also true it's losing steam fast with each new episode)
ZeandoApr 27, 2016 3:30 AM

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Apr 27, 2016 2:47 AM

Sep 2015
I had high expectations but it is just trying too hard to be smart. The last episode for example was a spot the MC game, and the plot seems to be getting nowhere fast. You ain't missing shit.
Apr 27, 2016 2:53 AM
Mar 2008
I think we just have to wait until the end for the conclusion........if any.
But as for now, 4 episodes in..............i dont really understand what they are trying to accomplish with this. It just seems somewhat out of an actual story focus and trying a bit to hard to be smart.
Apr 27, 2016 2:57 AM

Apr 2010
jejehartadi said:
The first 2 episodes are pretty interesting but the 3rd episode is weak imo. Hope next episodes will be better. I also hope that it won't just be episodic story from each of the characters.

Still, I can't see this anime getting a decent amount of sales. Maybe production I.G is trying to explore a new territory and somehow hoping to be successful?

You took the words out of my mouth. I seriously considering to stop here.

Apr 27, 2016 2:59 AM
May 2014
Protaku said:
So you went out of your way to say that? You're like the worst kind of person, just because this is the Internet doesn't mean I really give shit that you didn't fell loke watching the show but for the love of Mr. popo do you have to tell the world in a post talking about the plot that you don't care enough to watch but enough to shit talk. Get a fucking life.
How fitting (or depressing I haven't decided) for my 100th post to be about me complaining about dicks who review shows without finishing them.
Apr 27, 2016 3:05 AM
Jul 2018
Kuma said:
yuliyana29 said:

you can just see the coment above dude... it mature! it's not ecchi, it's not shounen shit...

just bc it's mature ppl won't have any issues with this show. yeah, right.
Apr 27, 2016 3:14 AM

Mar 2015
yuliyana29 said:
Kuma said:
you can just see the coment above dude... it mature! it's not ecchi, it's not shounen shit...

just bc it's mature ppl won't have any issues with this show. yeah, right.
exactly that's my point dude... people just judge a series as the way it is... not the way it executed..
Apr 27, 2016 4:19 AM

Jul 2014
Ah, a classic example of what we like to call having a "Shit taste".
Apr 27, 2016 4:38 PM

Apr 2014
msrcali said:
Protaku said:
So you went out of your way to say that? You're like the worst kind of person, just because this is the Internet doesn't mean I really give shit that you didn't fell loke watching the show but for the love of Mr. popo do you have to tell the world in a post talking about the plot that you don't care enough to watch but enough to shit talk. Get a fucking life.

Lol you triggered mate? I hope you are. I even game the show the honor of having me sit through the entire first episode so be happy.
Apr 27, 2016 4:41 PM

Jan 2013
I don't think it's trying to be smart though

What it does do is try to create suspense. So far, the episodes have been a hit or miss. I enjoyed ep 3, but ep 4 fell flat for me.
Apr 27, 2016 7:08 PM

Oct 2014
ExTamplier said:
To me it looks like an anime that tries hard to look smart while telling some kind of a story, and fails at both of these. Am I missing something?

Well anime that fail to tell some kind of story while trying to look smart are realky sucessfull like fate stay night so it is pretty obvious why they are trying to do it again
Apr 27, 2016 7:23 PM

May 2011
ExTamplier said:

I understand your grievance. On my part, I gave it a shot because all these edgelord or super hero titles make me sick. There's no end to them.
JG has the merit to be different. It falls too short to meet all the expectations, but it's still an alright entry for this season. It's not too overhyped and overrated at least. So far, I give it a 6,8 out of 10.

nb: verily, this tries to look smart by quoting Horace and this kind of things, instead in fully brushing up the storyline. It is riddled with plot conveniences and big clichés like the temporary amnesia bit. Moreover, JG is way too weak in terms of mystery as I evidenced on the fourth episode's convo.
sorceryApr 27, 2016 7:26 PM
Apr 30, 2016 3:58 AM

Dec 2015
To those who are annoyed with the lack of a "skeleton" story behind every episode, here is what I read about the book (because I was wondering if this would be episodic):

BooksfromJapan said:
Under false identities, these agents go their solitary ways to fulfill daring missions in Tokyo, Yokohama, Shanghai and elsewhere, all the while remembering Yuki's teachings. Among the most gripping of the episodes in the book is Robinson, the tale of an agent in London named Izawa and his escape after capture by British intelligence. Like the rest of the collection, the story highlights the notion of spies as operatives who do battle not with brawn, but with brains. A sequel anthology, Daburu joka (Double Joker), was published in 2009.
May 22, 2016 3:19 PM
Feb 2016
I like each episode individually, but I have several problems with the show. The first is that, even if it is episodic, I got the impression from the first two episodes that the same cast of characters would be reappearing, and so far it's been one character per episode, and I'm having a hard time caring about them, not least because they are working for a fascist government. The second problem is that the show doesn't really have anything linking the episodes together, and the stakes for each episode aren't high enough to make it very interesting. I get that it's before the war, but so far basically none of the actions of any of the characters have had any real impact on the global situation, or even put them in a place where they could discover anything important. The reason that this setting is interesting is because we get to see the signs of war brewing, and that's exciting, but so far none of the characters we've met have really encountered anything that has ver much to do with the war itself. Also, since they are working for a fascist government, even if they personally have a moral code not to kill, I still kind of think of them as the bad guys, or at best not good guys, since they never seem to consider the fact that their country is actually the one doing bad things or allying themselves with evil people. I'm not saying that that makes them bad people, just that it makes their stories far less interesting
May 22, 2016 3:20 PM
Feb 2016
I like each episode individually, but I have several problems with the show. The first is that, even if it is episodic, I got the impression from the first two episodes that the same cast of characters would be reappearing, and so far it's been one character per episode, and I'm having a hard time caring about them, not least because they are working for a fascist government. The second problem is that the show doesn't really have anything linking the episodes together, and the stakes for each episode aren't high enough to make it very interesting. I get that it's before the war, but so far basically none of the actions of any of the characters have had any real impact on the global situation, or even put them in a place where they could discover anything important. The reason that this setting is interesting is because we get to see the signs of war brewing, and that's exciting, but so far none of the characters we've met have really encountered anything that has ver much to do with the war itself. Also, since they are working for a fascist government, even if they personally have a moral code not to kill, I still kind of think of them as the bad guys, or at best not good guys, since they never seem to consider the fact that their country is actually the one doing bad things or allying themselves with evil people. I'm not saying that that makes them bad people, just that it makes their stories far less interesting
May 24, 2016 12:20 PM

Sep 2013
Do you watch western tv shows? they're like joker game but more cheesy and mediocre acting.
Joker Game is actually well executed.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2016

155 by yveltalkyogre »»
Sep 25, 6:09 PM

» novel license

theek1 - Jul 12, 2022

1 by NemuriNezumi »»
Jan 14, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2016

347 by Samir1237 »»
Apr 22, 2023 7:21 PM

» Why such low score ?

Shomix - May 21, 2016

22 by ina6_- »»
Jul 9, 2022 8:13 AM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2016

207 by metawin »»
Aug 6, 2021 9:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.