Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 31, 2009 9:12 AM
May 2008
It's clear how all this will end but how they reach the conclusion through Lawrence's intricate plan is quite interesting/entertaining.

@PandaPuff, of course the make up sex is coming... hopefully Holo will be gentle with Lawrence.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jul 31, 2009 9:28 AM

Feb 2008
after what they have been through i am pretty sure she is getting back at him for not telling her after all this time. in the end she'll say it was all a joke.
Jul 31, 2009 10:20 AM
Mar 2009
I can't stand that Amarty kid, he's like some self-righteous bitch. I hope Lawrence pwns his ass.
Jul 31, 2009 10:33 AM

Oct 2008
Well, he does have a reason to be self-righteous. Lawrence and... holo have been telling everyone that she is basically a poor, defenseless woman forced to "work" (i'm sure the implication that it is more than just traveling with him is there) for the evil Lawrence because of her debt. She is even a nun. So if Amarty has feelings for holo, from what he thinks he knows of their situation, of course he won't like Lawrence and will think he is the knight coming to her rescue.

Thinking more about it, Holo is probably pissed that Lawrence is obviously embarrassed by her company when with his fellow traders. If i remember right, when he got the information about her village, i think that was the reason he told he that he was going alone.
Jul 31, 2009 2:06 PM
Mar 2008
iday12 said:
Is it just me or do all of these episodes seem to fly by in five minutes?

I swear they are only 5 minutes ;p Usually i sit down watch the Intro with its relaxing tunes and then suddenly its over and i have to stand up again to stop before preview comes. Also funny that legal notice (in japanese no less!)

Aside that - I don't see why Amarty accepted that credit trading deal, every third rate trader could see that this is a very dangerous trade - he is increasing his opponents leverage without gaining anything from it. Its a fools trade with fools gold, also trade with fools gold was usually punished in the medieval times. Especially the church didn't like it (because apart from fooling buyers it also spreads paganism), so no sane trader would touch Pyrite.
eRe4s3rJul 31, 2009 2:13 PM
Jul 31, 2009 2:27 PM

Feb 2008
:( I want Lawrence to break down in a colorful confession next episode :D lol

That scrolling text was annoying, Mazui translated the first one correctly, second one was made fun of (I lol'd), but the first translation they used was pretty much correct. I guess Brains Base just can't handle their work being distributed on intarwebs? Well, they're not well known anyways, Lol.

Jul 31, 2009 2:34 PM

May 2009
Needs more Horo.
Intresting episode though. Loved all the angry faces Lawrence made.
iday12 said:
Is it just me or do all of these episodes seem to fly by in five minutes?
Yeah, I was surprised when ED came on.
Jul 31, 2009 3:13 PM

May 2007
PandaPuff said:
The make up sex is coming amirite guys? xD

Lol.
Jul 31, 2009 10:36 PM

Oct 2007
Yakumo_Fujii said:
Amarty goes DOWN!!! After having seen this ep I got my hope in Lawrence back! He will defnetly pull off some big thing and smash Amarty. I cant stand that girlish looking guy anyway.
Aug 1, 2009 12:16 AM

May 2008
Great stuff, look forward to the master plan in action >:D
Aug 1, 2009 2:12 AM
Feb 2009
<--- can't help but hating amarty...
oblivious is a bliss
Aug 1, 2009 10:57 AM

Sep 2007
Amarty !
KILL... HIM... !>_<
Aug 1, 2009 2:11 PM

Jul 2009
Yup, i agree, he should dieee...
I hope there will be more "Horo time" in the next ep ;p
ʕ • ᴥ • ʔ
Aug 2, 2009 7:34 AM

Jul 2009
Very helpful episode, Lawrence was able to think things through and made a plan... problem is if that plan would blow in his face again :)

Will have to wait for one more week to know what will happen next :D

| The void is endless |
Aug 2, 2009 8:06 AM

Jul 2008
I miss Horo, hope Lawrence gets her back soon.
Aug 2, 2009 9:47 AM

Dec 2008
I lol'd when you saw Holo's signature as "Holo" and Lawrence was surprised and jumped.

I imagined 95% of the watchers having the same reaction.

Great episode, and it's looking good. Since I've watched episode 1/2's 'next episode' thingies (iirc), I noticed they make the next episodes look very different than what it really is, so I'm glad I stop at the ED (I don't like it so much so I stop at it's start).

Can't wait for next week.
「Godspeed You! Black Emperor」
Aug 2, 2009 3:05 PM
Jul 2008
This can turn out interesting.
Aug 2, 2009 7:14 PM

Apr 2007
Nicely done. This economic tomfoolery is much more entertaining than a lot of the other contrived gambits you see in anime. I am fully hoping for and expecting a Trading Places Randolph & Mortimer Duke-style meltdown within the next couple of episodes.

I hate it when they do this though (very last scene):
Aug 2, 2009 7:48 PM

Dec 2008
Amarty made a good choice in refusing.
a very good point about not wanting to put his reputation and his shop's name on the line.
good thing he ended up helping Lawrence after all.
Aug 3, 2009 12:05 AM

Jul 2009
enkil said:
Amarty made a good choice in refusing.
a very good point about not wanting to put his reputation and his shop's name on the line.
good thing he ended up helping Lawrence after all.

I think you mean Mark. ;D
Aug 3, 2009 1:30 AM

Mar 2008
Horo(going to use it even tho they should it as Holo) showed up what? Twice? Other then that a good episode. Next episode should be a good one.
Aug 3, 2009 2:43 AM
Jan 2008
Iri said:
I hate it when they do this though (very last scene):

Sorry, I'm not entirely sure what's wrong.
Aug 3, 2009 11:25 AM
Mar 2008
The moon is a half circle and you can see stars behind it

Unless the moon started going transparent outside, they simple didn't bother to block out the background where the sphere of the planetoid would actually be

Also, the moon glow is the ultra lazy kind of moon glow, given the graphics up to that point, googling a nasa image of the moon and "making it more animish" wouldn't have been THAT hard . because you know.. you actually do see the moon surface when its lit

But seriously, thats just a small nagging detail, i still can't wait for this series to come out every week.. damn cliffhangers!
Aug 3, 2009 11:39 AM
Jan 2008
Oh God, you're right! I'm a little embarrassed I didn't notice that.

Still, I don't really blame them since they probably have to turn out twelve episodes in as many weeks on what's going to be a shoestring budget, and drawing a crescent and blurring it sounds easier than getting a genuine moon picture and making sure everything works under a blue filter.
Aug 3, 2009 2:32 PM

Feb 2008
Jacut said:

Average episode, I thought that the second season of S&W could still withstand an episode without Holo and be great (which the first season clearly could not) thanks to its direction and atmosphere, but in fact, no. This series is still heavily dependent on Holo and the Holo/Lawrence relationship, if you take out Holo, there is simply no enjoyment since the other aspects of the series are less interestingly developed.

Personally I have to disagree. I enjoyed this episode a lot because it concentrates on the second "main pillar" of this show, the business of a traveling merchant in medieval times. Although there was not enough Holo(Ugh!) in this episode, I really appreciate the complex transactions and trading strategies taking place. *Thumbs up*

For those who are still confused, these were the best explanatory notes so far imo (found in another forum):

PandaPuff said:
The make up sex is coming amirite guys? xD

NeloDeath said:

@PandaPuff, of course the make up sex is coming... hopefully Holo will be gentle with Lawrence.

Godel said:
:( I want Lawrence to break down in a colorful confession next episode :D lol

Aaaawww... wouldnt that be nice:

PS: But of course I missed Holo(Arrgh!) immense.
FTGTAug 7, 2009 11:14 AM
Aug 3, 2009 3:12 PM
Jan 2008
FTGT said:
Aaaawww... wouldnt that be nice:

This picture amuses me no end, where did you find it?
Aug 3, 2009 5:57 PM

Dec 2008
I think it's not too recent, or I've seen a drawing that looks a lot like it.

Besides that, it's adorably cute, lmao.
Aug 3, 2009 6:49 PM

Jan 2008
Not enough Horo D:
Looking forward to Amarty falling down next ep.
Aug 3, 2009 9:00 PM

Apr 2009
Needs more Horo..
I like Amarty..

No more cliffhangers please. :S
Aug 4, 2009 7:41 AM
Apr 2009
I liked this episode almost as much as the 3rd. Finally Lawrence has to act and fight for Holo (Horo is so much nicer :/ ). He does it his style but I'm really looking forward to how he will be overwhelmed by his feelings for her at some point in this series.
And I also loved that Holo added more fuel to the flames. I know she's playing more than scheming but I'm totally uncertain about what she'll do next. I'm curious...
Aug 4, 2009 3:03 PM

Jan 2008
Needs more Horo in this ep and thank god the kiss scene was just a thought.
Aug 4, 2009 9:36 PM

Jun 2007
I dun care! I'm gonna keep calling her Horo!

Aug 4, 2009 11:12 PM

Jul 2008
remember last season, Holo already hinted that, Lawrence already let god's chance slip away from his fingers a few times? All of a sudden this marriage contract reminds me of that... (although back then, he did get the 'chance' she mentioned); However, I think Holo is also taking a gamble at this situation: that, even though Lawrence was betting everything on Holo to solve this issue, she's relying on his eagerness of getting himself out of this sh-thole and get Holo back to his side;

In many episodes we do see that Holo flirted with Lawrence but somehow he bluntly shrugs them off; it's a "hint" for lawrence from holo that 'you need to take me more seriously now'.

ps. when holo mentioned that "oh yea, i do have someone that can cherish me a lot (Amarty) wouldn't she also have thought of the fact that the day of his death will be in a blink of her eye as well, just like lawrence?
Website http://akariREMOVED.co.cc/sig/sig.php is reporting as Malware.
Aug 5, 2009 7:46 AM
Mar 2008
She implied that amarty would be easier to seduce - she wants children or atleast 1 child, not a grumpy companion who doesn't see her as a women.. eh.. wolf

I can't help but feel the close up of her signing was just to stir the pot that is her Name on the intertubes, i will call her Horo as well, and i hope so does Mazui

Also , if japanese VA says Horo, her name is Horo, not Holo (like holodeck?) Maybe the voice cast needs to get a grip and learn pronouncing L and R properly.. - Who cares what the script says, translations don't translate the script they translate what is spoken
Aug 5, 2009 6:13 PM

Aug 2009
I don't know why Horo got so mad, It wasn't that big of a deal. Plus, she signed a fucking marriage certificate? WHAT THE FUCK. How could you do that to Lawrence. FFS. *RAGE*

Lawrence better own Amarty.
Aug 6, 2009 4:55 AM
Aug 2009
Ok in a moment of absolute horror it dawned on me... what if horo slept with amarty before she signed that contract. when lawrence saw the bastard leaving the inn. i mean she did mention wanting a child during her breakdown. idk if im just scaring the hell out of myself for no reason but the idea came to me with a level of horror you cannot imagine T_T
Aug 6, 2009 5:45 AM

Dec 2008
^I REALLY doubt it. She got information out of Amarty to help Lawrence. When Lawrence and Amarty met up afterwards to talk, Amarty would have given it out someway since that's how he seems to be, and that same attitude would mean he wouldn't have sex with Horo before marriage (although being a young man who's blinded by illusions, that wouldn't really matter).
Aug 7, 2009 12:31 AM

Aug 2008
Man oh man I can't wait to see the look on Amarty's face when the price of pyrite plummets.. or will it! and for some reason deep in the back of my mind, I still think this is one of her tricks. :D

eRe4s3r said:
Also , if japanese VA says Horo, her name is Horo, not Holo (like holodeck?) Maybe the voice cast needs to get a grip and learn pronouncing L and R properly..

But they are saying Holo, just not how someone like us would say Holo

ra, ri, ru, re, ro

Its how they say it, and understand it, so I don't see it changing any time soon, its confusing for us yeah, but to their usual audience its fine
NyantaAug 7, 2009 12:42 AM

Aug 7, 2009 12:45 AM

Aug 2007
lol @ make up sex

pretty ok episode. lots of economics
Aug 7, 2009 3:31 AM

Jul 2008
yeha good ep. seem like things will going like plan. but i cant help but think that some trouble will show up.

Aug 8, 2009 4:23 AM

Nov 2007
It looks like things are turning out well for Lawrence, although with all the plot twists in this series that could change at a moments notice. But it's Holo no Horo O_O? That came as a surprise.
Aug 8, 2009 10:57 PM

Jan 2009
lol, don't distribute this on the interwebs, but be sure to seed!

Nice ep, the dialogue scenes were virtually incomprehensible, but that's what makes Spice and Wolf so great! Not enough Horo time though...

Aug 19, 2009 7:12 PM

Jul 2009
oh really? XD
but things are exciting, and im trying to pretend i didn't watch the next episode already :P
but now im out of them,can't download the 6th due to traffic limits where i am now >.<
Oct 17, 2009 10:57 AM

Aug 2009
Omg, Horo signed the marriage contract? I wonder what she's planning to do. Also wondering who's going to win this duel between Lawrence and Amati.

Very good episode. I'm enjoying this more than the first season. Hoping that Horo would stay by Lawrence's side.
Nov 6, 2009 2:35 PM

Dec 2007
I am looking forward to Lawrence and his master plan to stop Amarty. This episode lacks Horo scenes, and I'm glad that kiss scene was just a thought. Seriously, it is getting intense because I really want to watch the next episode now.
Nov 10, 2009 10:15 AM
Nov 2009
Heh. This ep was more fun than it should have been. Turns out Lawrence isn't a chump, and when Horo isn't with him he can wheel and deal with the best of them. He plays Amarty like a puppet, and uses his resources to craft a fun little plan to ruin him. He even retains his humility and keeps his cool around Mark.

But Horo is just painful to watch now. Seriously, I've lost all respect for her character. She's probably pissed off at Lawrence, rather than realizing all the mistakes she's been making herself.

I am amused by everyone's comments in this thread about how Lawrence doesn't take her flirting seriously and "brushes her off". She behaves just as badly when he flirts with her. She could stop treating it like a game, and just do what she did in episode 1-4 (ie, jump into his bed). She's acting like she doesn't know what she wants from him anymore, and he's taking it so slowly that he's falling in love with her.
Nov 11, 2009 10:12 PM

Jun 2009
Fantastic episode and I respect the lengths that Lawrence is going for Horo. I refuse to use Holo btw.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 7, 2010 8:12 PM
Feb 2009
wow wishy washy episode here
Feb 1, 2010 7:22 AM

Jan 2010
We saw almost no Horo this episode and also I wonder what made her sign that contract.
Feb 1, 2010 10:33 AM
Nov 2009
She signed it because Amati made her do it. It took a lot out of Amati to get her to do it, which is why he's exhausted and drinking in the pub afterwards. It's a little clearer in the novels, but the gist of it is that Amati wanted to make sure that Lawrence knows he's about to lose by getting Horo to "do the impossible".

Regardless of "how" she was made to actually sign the certificate, the fact that she told the innkeeper to give it to Lawrence was a real facepalm moment. Obviously, she wanted Lawrence to get angry and storm upstairs to confront her. But why bother? If he was that far into the inn, it's because he wanted to meet with her already (why else would he go there?).

Worse, having someone else pass such a certificate to him is a sign that she doesn't WANT to talk to him directly. His first instinct wouldn't be to run upstairs - what's the point if she just told him everything she wants to say indirectly? She's just lucky that Lawrence did get angry enough to confront someone about the certificate - too bad it was Amati :)
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dbaranyi - Aug 12, 2009

292 by 0451 »»
Aug 12, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

dbaranyi - Aug 5, 2009

205 by 0451 »»
Jul 29, 12:25 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

HikaruKaneko - Jul 23, 2009

257 by 0451 »»
Jul 15, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

dbaranyi - Jul 15, 2009

126 by 0451 »»
Jul 8, 12:54 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShiroiRyu - Jul 8, 2009

186 by 0451 »»
Jul 1, 12:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.