Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 6, 2015 10:52 PM

Sep 2014
Do you enjoy symbolic anime? How about the ones where you are not expected to understand literally because everything is symbolic?

Symbolic series include:
Shoujo Kakumei Utena + movie
Mawaru Penguindrum
Yuri Kuma Arashi (symbolic overdose...)
Neon Genesis Evangelion + End of Evangelion
Haibane Renmei
Wolf's Rain
Madoka: Rebellion
SaveTheAralSeaFeb 9, 2015 8:33 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 7, 2015 9:46 AM

Nov 2014
I think it's great when some things are implied rather than explicitly explained. In real life we don't always explain everything, so it's kind of weird—to me at least—when characters abruptly stop to explain every feeling and action. A little vagueness makes the characters and world more believable.

Regarding symbolic anime, Angel's Egg is steeped in symbolism. I saw it a long time ago and I can't remember the details that well, but I do remember how it made me feel.
Feb 9, 2015 10:59 PM

Sep 2014
For the most part I love symbolic anime, but there's a limit for me. Yuri Kuma Arashi is driving me nuts because absolutely every single aspect of the anime is symbolic, and I have to go to reddit for other viewers' interpretations on wtf I just watched.

I mean, WUT
Mar 29, 2015 2:05 PM

Aug 2014
Tatami Galaxy was more metaphysical than symoblic.

As I feel it sort of existed in it's own universe, but I think there was some strong symbolism in it. But it's depth goes beyond just having symbols that mean stuff
Apr 17, 2015 12:18 PM

Aug 2014
Adressing the issue of over-symbolism: I think every literary theory class 101 should include "any work may not have to have anything to do with reality at all" :p
As long as it constructs it's own world and language, of course.

OT: and that's what I feel Kara no Kyoukai may end up being, having watched 1st and 2nd movies a few hours ago.
Jun 1, 2015 1:41 PM

Jun 2012
I would go so far as to say that Madoka Magica: the series is symbolic. I rewatched the first three episodes for analysis a while ago and ended up with pages of notes. I won't get into the details, but even aspects of the series like the choice in color, music, selective shadowing, art style, and imagery contribute to the greater meaning of the work as a while. Hell, if you pay attention closely enough, the first half of episode 1 basically gives away the rest of the show.
"I'm gonna make you bleed like me!"
Characterization Society
Discord
Jul 25, 2015 12:53 PM

Feb 2015
Ergo Proxy is a very experimental and symbolic anime. After i watched it, i had to look it up online to fully understand what happened. Writers' inspration for the story is symbolized well. Other than that storytelling is very unique. I could say that it is like NGE in terms of complexity.
Sep 30, 2015 7:44 AM

Mar 2014
I think the difference for me is when an anime uses symbolism to convey a theme or character traits/motivations, or even simply a tone... all of this is fine.

For me, the part where symbolic imagery breaks down is when it's used to convey specific, important plot points, and the creators expect all of the viewers to notice it in order to continue following the story. This is just sloppy to me, as the very nature of symbolism is vague interpretations by the audience... and core plot points of your story shouldn't be vague & obscure, because it just means you, as a creator, are doing a poor job of telling that story.

If you ask me, symbolic imagery should never be used to tell the crux of a story, but simply something to make a story be presented in a more intriguing light.
vigorousjammerSep 30, 2015 7:47 AM
::End of Transmission::

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Thank You

aikaflip - Sep 16, 2018

0 by aikaflip »»
Sep 16, 2018 10:26 AM

» Visually Impressive Anime

SaveTheAralSea - Feb 24, 2015

10 by aikaflip »»
Oct 6, 2016 1:53 AM

» LGBT representation

aikaflip - Feb 5, 2015

37 by aikaflip »»
Sep 17, 2016 10:11 AM

» Feminist Characters, Anime, and Manga

aikaflip - Feb 4, 2015

37 by satoneshichimiya »»
Jul 20, 2016 8:34 AM

» Characterization Society Discord Group

BadMediaKarma - Apr 14, 2016

1 by aikaflip »»
Apr 14, 2016 4:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.