Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 8, 2015 8:11 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
What a wonderful view matched by speed. Great chapter.
Feb 20, 2015 8:07 PM

Mar 2013
I wonder what kind of melody she was playing on the clarinet?

Wonderful chapter as always.
Bring back down votes on reviews
Mar 7, 2015 9:07 AM

Oct 2012
I've got to admit, it seems like he's trying to make this manga as similar to YKK as he can. The camera, motorbikes,the environment...I don't know at this point if I like that. I'm not sure where this is going. Kotonoba drive doesn't have something unique about it. YKK was a manga with robots and a decaying world. Kotonoba needs something that will distinguish it from YKK. It has the decaying landscape as well. Is it in the same world as YKK but before YKK's timeline? All I'm getting is that Suu has a really intense sense of imagination. Is she a mirror to the world as it used to be? And there doesn't seem to be enough characters Suu can interact with. Her boss. Those random imaginary children. This is just a ramble of thoughts here ha.

Mar 26, 2015 2:04 AM

Oct 2008
Whalelala said:
I've got to admit, it seems like he's trying to make this manga as similar to YKK as he can. The camera, motorbikes,the environment...I don't know at this point if I like that. I'm not sure where this is going. Kotonoba drive doesn't have something unique about it.

Thank you for expressing that, I was wondering why this manga bothered me. It's just like you said, it doesn't seem to have an entity of its own. Also something that severely lacks (also from that other manga of his with the pilots) is the absence of his past super detailed backgrounds. YKK's atmosphere was really its own thing, and half of that was due to the attention to detail given to the world through the art. Sometimes there was no dialogue, just the character and the background. After that manga, his art became really simplistic and rough (to put it nicely), and there's practically no backgrounds. His style of story-telling through the comic medium is just not as effective without that eye for detailed artwork. Also, like you said, little by little we knew more and more about YKK's world, either by small comments, flashbacks, Kokone's research... KD just doesn't have the same appeal even though he's trying to, because he's not putting any effort into making us identify the world the characters live in, and how it plays with Suu's imagination/psychic powers/whatever she has. Really wish he either continued YKK or tried to make KD its own thing.
Apr 5, 2015 7:23 PM

Oct 2012
Yakuri said:
Whalelala said:
I've got to admit, it seems like he's trying to make this manga as similar to YKK as he can. The camera, motorbikes,the environment...I don't know at this point if I like that. I'm not sure where this is going. Kotonoba drive doesn't have something unique about it.

Thank you for expressing that, I was wondering why this manga bothered me. It's just like you said, it doesn't seem to have an entity of its own. Also something that severely lacks (also from that other manga of his with the pilots) is the absence of his past super detailed backgrounds. YKK's atmosphere was really its own thing, and half of that was due to the attention to detail given to the world through the art. Sometimes there was no dialogue, just the character and the background. After that manga, his art became really simplistic and rough (to put it nicely), and there's practically no backgrounds. His style of story-telling through the comic medium is just not as effective without that eye for detailed artwork. Also, like you said, little by little we knew more and more about YKK's world, either by small comments, flashbacks, Kokone's research... KD just doesn't have the same appeal even though he's trying to, because he's not putting any effort into making us identify the world the characters live in, and how it plays with Suu's imagination/psychic powers/whatever she has. Really wish he either continued YKK or tried to make KD its own thing.

I think the art is far closer to Kabu no Isaki than YKK. YKK had richer detail like you mentioned. It just had something extra and magical that allowed it to last more than 130 chapters. I think this manga will be even more short lived than Kabu no Isaki and his other works. A shame.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kotonoba Drive Chapter 35 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2018

4 by TuyNOM »»
Nov 25, 2020 8:53 AM

Poll: » Kotonoba Drive Chapter 29 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2017

2 by PascoeStudio »»
Nov 5, 2017 4:20 PM

Poll: » Kotonoba Drive Chapter 26 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 25, 2016

0 by Stark700 »»
Dec 25, 2016 5:18 AM

Poll: » Kotonoba Drive Chapter 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2016

0 by Stark700 »»
Dec 12, 2016 1:50 AM

Poll: » Kotonoba Drive Chapter 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2016

0 by Stark700 »»
Dec 2, 2016 12:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.