Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 1, 2015 7:32 PM
Sep 2014
Okay dane dwellers, it's time to put down the dictionaries and revisit seventh grade english.

I've only been reading for around an hour and I've judged the seriousness of our threads to be far higher than acceptable.

To counter this and try to mix in some fun, I want to ask a question:

What do you want to do?

Now, you've probably been asked this a lot. I bet you have a response prepared for just this question. "I want to become __________"

• a stock broker
  • a mechanic
  • a professor

"I want to be __________"

• happy
  • rich
  • famous

I'm not looking for these kind of responses. I'm sick of hearing them, actually. Yes, you want to do X to make a lot of money. What will you do with the money? Yes, you want to be famous. But to what end?

I want to know your childhood dreams. I want pure, unfiltered dreams. What did you want to do before you succumbed to reality?

For me, it's being a screenwriter. To be specific, I want to turn my favorite books into movies or TV shows. I also want to be an author. Reading and writing are immensely important to me, and I would be beyond happy if they were part of my every day life. As for being an author, my imagination is my pride, and writing novels for a living has been a childhood dream of mine for as long as I can remember.

DO

• answer the posed question
  • talk with other people about what they posted
  • offer criticism and feedback on writing (if you want)

DON'T

• bash on other people
  • give a vague and useless answer

DISCLAIMER:I realize some people want to be mechanics, professors, stock brokers, happy, rich, famous etc. I was using them as examples to achieve clarity.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 1, 2015 7:57 PM

May 2010
Video game developer. I've wanted this my whole life, maybe I still do, I'm not really sure. I started taking courses in college for it, and I realized that if I were to join any particular company I would be doing ground level work and I wouldn't be able to create my own ideas. This is mostly what pushed me away from this dream. Another thing that has pushed me away are all the American development companies that push out the same game after the same game.

Looking at games from Japan, you have standard RPG's, but then you have Katamari Damacy where you literally roll a ball around to roll things up, until the point of rolling up skyscrapers. You have hack and slash games where the main character throws a highly detailed giant machine across a city. You have all sorts of fantastic games, where in America games haven't changed much since the creation of Doom.

I still think of ideas from time to time. Just today I thought of games that use magic. Where do they get this magic? In a lot of things magic comes from the air around them, so I thought "What happens when they gather that power? What happens to the battlefield?". And so I thought of a system where using magic would dynamically effect a battlefield, like creating a large pool of magic on the players side of the field, which can work to the players benefit or detriment, and as such magic power and ranges must be managed in according to this, creating a much more strategic experience. I also thought of how much of a pain it is when playing turn based games, and how you want specific characters to act at specific times, why can't this be controlled, it would be simple.

Now, I don't particularly want to be anything else. I don't have any other dreams or fantasies, other than being rich and living comfortably.
Jan 2, 2015 11:19 PM

Jul 2011
I can somewhat relate to Kyle and PS's post. I also considered being a novelist and an astronaut. I enjoyed reading as a child, it inspired excitement. Whenever I would read the "About the author" page at the back of the book I would be somewhat confused. It amazed how a seemingly ordinary person could write something extraordinary. So I liked to play around with the idea that one day I'd write something of value too. Though I never thought of it as a full career, but more as a side-gig I might explore.

Like PS I liked learning about stars and planets. For one it was really interesting learning how vast the universe really was, and our tiny role in it. It also was a source of escapism and a natural curiosity of exploration. However, I soon learned that it's highly unlikely that I'd be chosen to go into space, but I suppose I can still be part of a major project related to space exploration and indirectly aid the cause. Nowadays I'm just a passive supporter in getting legislation in favor of space exploration, e.g. budgets for NASA, passed.

Ideally, I want to be involved in something in which I'm working with competent, passionate people on something I find meaningful.
Jan 9, 2015 8:26 AM

Mar 2012
When I was nine years old, I decided I wanted to be an author. I loved reading and I loved writing. I loved to write silly stories about kids going on adventures into the woods and getting into all sorts of trouble. When I entered junior high, my parents started feeding me ideas about going into a science field, particularly a medical one. I was good at every subject. I got straight A's, and something in my brain told me that being a doctor would be much more sophisticated than a rinky dinky author. Come high school, I stacked up on math and science classes in hopes to enter college as a pre-med. I gave up my elective classes to take an extra Physics class or advanced Chemistry. I thought science was still for me. But then I started getting grades I didn't want. Or rather, grades my parents didn't want. And clearly, I wasn't understanding stuff like I should. Science was always interesting to me, but to get into the details became a chore. I found myself enjoying my English classes a lot more. I liked getting lost in the books we read. I liked writing about them.

And then college came around. I entered as an English Major. I doubled up with Creative Writing. I absolutely loved all my Creative Writing courses. They were so intuitive and taught me so much more about writing and coming to love it. And so I decided, once day I'll write stories for the world. I'll come up with bizarre plots and characters and the world will read about them. Though I haven't exactly decided what kind of writer I want to be. It would be great if I became a novelist, but I also love to draw (not well but the passion is still there). I've pondered being a children's book writer or even a graphic novelist/comic book writer. The possibilities are out there; I just need to get on them.

However, in the meantime, I'm studying to become a front-end web developer so that I can make enough to money to be comfortable to pursue a side writing career. So who knows when that'll happen.
Jan 9, 2015 11:29 PM

Sep 2013
I'm older than most people here, and I have already spent more than twenty years in a rather dull career, but the question of what I want to do is still important. The career I ended up in is engineering, and while I could do worse, it doesn't exactly inspire me. I recently went back to school and got a degree in English with an emphasis in creative writing, and I find that far more fulfilling. However, making a living at the kind of writing I enjoy isn't possible, so at this point, it remains a hobby. Specifically, I enjoy the experimental side of fiction. I like to mess with underlying structures, such as syntax and the layout of the page. Additionally, I like to use non-traditional points of view. Given my engineering background, I have integrated mathematical language into stories, and I have written computer algorithms to automate aspects of structural experimentation. This sort of writing does not sell, and it tends to appeal only to a narrow group of academics and assorted weirdos. In a way, this style is the literary equivalent of the screwy modern art that people may encounter (and usually hate) in art museums.

If I want to leave engineering for good, the only option I see - and it probably isn't a very good one - is to pursue graduate work in English and attempt to go into teaching. Even if my writing eventually gets noticed in the academic community, it will never earn me any real money, because my style will never have a broad appeal.

As for the original questions, I want to be a lazy bum, but of the three options mentioned, I would much rather be a professor than the others. Furthermore, I would rather be happy than rich or famous. Money and fame are shallow goals and, in the absence of happiness, have no meaning.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Jan 10, 2015 5:18 PM

Mar 2014
I've always wanted to become an animator, or a comic book creator. However, despite what you may believe, this was not born out of a love for anime. No, these desires where extant many years before I had been properly introduced to the world of anime.

I grew up watching many cartoons, especially the ones on Nickelodeon at the time. Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters... these shows all had an effect on me, and to this day still influence the style of art that I produce.

I began trying my hand at making comics in the 6th grade. The year was 1999, I was old enough to understand things well enough, but still young enough to be wild, crazy, and full of energy. The comic series I made at that time reflected a lot of this, and despite the fact that they consisted of a bunch of scribbled doodles on a page... I still look back on them and feel like I'll never be able to capture the pure, childlike insanity. Not just in terms of the art, but also the amount of insanity that I put into my writing. It was the kind of thing that somebody would read and it would simultaneously make them go "what the fuck?" and make them laugh their ass off. Anybody I showed it to absolutely loved it, even if they didn't fully understand it.

From there, I entered Jr. High and continued creating comics. However, I also started experimenting with animation. I had made flipbooks before, but I feel like my true first foray into something approaching professional-level animation was when I started to attempt to draw different frames in MS Paint on my computer and string them all together in Windows Movie Maker. I actually got one scene done, complete with sound effects that I recorded with my mouth. Understandably... this didn't go on for much longer... thankfully, in part, because I was able to obtain a copy of Macromedia Flash, and also eventually got introduced to Newgrounds.com

That was the bastion of my existence in that day and age. All throughout High School, I was a rabid fan of Newgrounds, visiting it every day, watching different animations, and attempting to create my own. I was so motivated by what other people on the site had been doing that I managed to actually complete some animations and release them, even getting them past the judgement period and preventing them from getting "blammed" (or deleted, as it were). However, my skills as an animator were still self-taught, and I was not progressing very much.

By the time I left High School, I got a real job, and with less free time, my art slowly faded to the sidelines.

I've grown since then... as both an artist and as a person, and my plan is to still hopefully turn my passion into a career one day. However, with the advent of 3D animation and the slow, decaying death of 2D (at least in North America) I feel like my dream may never come to pass.

So, in recent years, I've set a new goal for myself: To make enough money doing something else to support my own life, and to do art & animation on my own time. Not as a career, but as a kind of hobby, a kind of lifelong diversion that I would use to express my complete and utter joy with the artform.
vigorousjammerJan 10, 2015 5:24 PM
::End of Transmission::

Jan 12, 2015 10:19 AM

Mar 2008
I don't remember having much in the way of "childhood dreams," since as a child I really did not pay much heed to the future, much less the future that awaited me after school. My unfiltered dreams were probably something like playing video games all day without ever having to work.

It was probably around my senior year at high school when I started my slow journey on coming to terms with reality. I obviously enjoyed video games, and I had taken up drawing video game characters as a hobby, so the natural progression was to try to become an artist for a video game company. Despite sounding like a decent idea on paper, and having plenty of support from people who saw my artwork, it was a path that ultimately lead nowhere...mostly due to my not taking into consideration that there weren't any video game companies nearby enough for me to commute to.

By the point of finishing a degree in game design, I also had a new-found interest in programming; though I had dabbled in programming before, I had never considered it as a profession. Being a more practical choice that has far more widespread applications, I figured following that path might have better end-results than working at a minimum wage job which I hated.
And currently, I find myself at the middle of that road. Still being at university, I am merely cultivating my abilities while working towards/hoping for the best I can.

As for my current dreams that are unfiltered by reality, they are dreams of transhumanism. Biological immortality and artificial intelligence are my dreams, and there is nothing that means more to me.
Jan 13, 2015 4:29 PM

Nov 2014
Right now I'm not sure, but when I was younger, I knew I was destined to become an author in Paris. I was going to have a small flat with a view of the Eiffel Tower and wake up early every morning to go drink hot cocoa in a patisserie while writing my latest novel. I was going to have three kids. The oldest would be named Rose and she was going to be the calm and mature motherly older sister type. And, I would have two younger twins named Jordan and Taylor who would be total little devils and torture their older sister while being very protective as a way of showing their love, but be really kind and sweet to anybody else. I would have a puppy names Gabe and read lots of books. PS. I only have faint memories of this, but I found a notebook where I wrote it all down.
Jan 26, 2015 1:05 PM

Aug 2013
I seriously wanted to be president up until, perhaps 6-7th grade. Yet, looking back, I don't even think I was properly serious enough about it. Sure, I liked reading history books, but as an elementary/middle-schooler, I never even touched the news. And whenever I did, I usually avoided the politics and drifted towards the science and culture sections, anyway.

But I claimed that I would never vote for Hillary Clinton as president because I wanted to be the first woman president. (Yes, the same I who always skipped the politics sections in the papers). In kindergarten, I had made a pact with my Chinese cousin that she would become the Prime Minister of China, and I would become the President of the United States at the same time, and together we would improve diplomatic relations. In a way, I was very serious about it. It was the only childhood dream I had, and I don't remember when I got it. I might've been born dreaming to be president.

But as I moved through high school, I came to realize that politics wasn't really my thing (and never really was). But who knows, instead of president of the United States, maybe I'll be president of a company or a foundation some day... I remain hopeful. Maybe I've never met reality, or maybe I'm right on.
Jan 27, 2015 5:13 PM

Jul 2011
^ First female and Asian president, quite ambitious. I personally didn't entertain unrealistic ambitions, but president is out of reach for me since I'm a naturalized citizen. I also wanted to point out that you don't have to be the president or a CEO to contribute some form of meaningful change. In your particular example, I'd imagine one would be more focused on foreign relations as a security of state rather than president.
Mar 16, 2015 11:19 PM
Jun 2014
einonymous said:
But I claimed that I would never vote for Hillary Clinton as president because I wanted to be the first woman president. (Yes, the same I who always skipped the politics sections in the papers). In kindergarten, I had made a pact with my Chinese cousin that she would become the Prime Minister of China, and I would become the President of the United States at the same time, and together we would improve diplomatic relations. In a way, I was very serious about it. It was the only childhood dream I had, and I don't remember when I got it. I might've been born dreaming to be president.

But as I moved through high school, I came to realize that politics wasn't really my thing (and never really was). But who knows, instead of president of the United States, maybe I'll be president of a company or a foundation some day... I remain hopeful. Maybe I've never met reality, or maybe I'm right on.

I, too, harbored ambitions of someday becoming president of my home country since I was in second grade. Then after moving to the United States, I decided that I wanted to become a diplomat instead. Recently though, I also realized that politics isn't for me, but I still hope that someday I'll be able to have a positive influence on my home country -- whether it be through politics, business, or charity. I wish to inspire my countrymen and improve their standard of living. I won't allow myself to die without accomplishing that.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» -

removed-user - Nov 11, 2015

0 by removed-user »»
Nov 11, 2015 3:40 AM

» Danebenreden - Political Compass Test

eririri - May 2, 2015

12 by WeirdHeather »»
Jun 7, 2015 4:12 PM

» The Brilliance of the Magnum Opus of VNs AKA Umineko no Naku Koro wtfwhocareswhatitscalledtheresananimeforit in 5-dimensional logic put into some more logical bullshit into a determinant translated into English

Penisland - Apr 11, 2015

4 by removed-user »»
May 9, 2015 8:09 AM

» Schadenfreude and Empathy: A psychological analysis on the observation and contact of the male testes

Penisland - Apr 1, 2015

1 by Measure »»
Apr 6, 2015 12:57 AM

» Video games - a legitimate art form, mindless entertainment, or corporate money machine?

WeirdHeather - Dec 13, 2014

12 by Caelidesu »»
Mar 28, 2015 4:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.