Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 19, 2014 6:02 AM
Jul 2018
Hi all,

I have contributed a couple things to this API but lately I have noticed it hasn't really evolved. As a personal project/experiment I have been working on a re-factor of the API. More just to see, can I do it and what would I do differently.

The majority of the code is a port (all the scraping code), but I have been working on organizing routes, better separation of concerns, and unit testing. It is not 100% complete yet (almost there!), but if people were interested in it, I would devote more time.

As a public API, it has kind of died with the official site not seeming to be up anymore. I've been trying to gauge interest in the potential of deploying my re-factor of the project to the public or if it would be insulting to do so :). Personally I feel that it would be good to get something out there for people to use.

If people are interested, I can post a link to the source code.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 18, 2014 11:24 AM
Apr 2013
I would love a more extensive form of the MAL API, and while the unofficial API appears to be the answer I'm looking for, I can't access http://mal-api.com right now. If you're planning on bringing it back, that'd be much appreciated.
Apr 18, 2014 11:52 AM
Jul 2018
I would say in the near future, the official API will not be seeing any love. As it seems right now as well the public deployment of the unofficial api is no longer up and doesn't seem like it is going to be up anytime soon. You can deploy the unofficial api yourself as well if you have a hosting provider. My refactor is not 100% complete, but it is pretty close. I'd say the biggest missing piece right now is updated documentation.
Sep 24, 2014 10:19 AM

Mar 2012
Maybe not warranted in this topic, but Ratan12 and I have been working on a completely new API for interfacing with MAL. It's actually powering the Android application we also both work on, Atarashii!.

Since the goal was to extend what chuyeow did, we made sure that the "1.0" version of the API was completely compatible with input and output, and are finishing up enhancements to 2.0 that cover forums, extended title details, and more.

Our work is written in PHP using Symfony and is fully open source. I know at least one or two developers of applications that work with MAL do so with our API code now. You can download it or contribute to the development at https://bitbucket.org/ratan12/atarashii-api and see it live at https://api.atarashiiapp.com/ (no third-party clients allowed except by prior arrangement).
Developer, sysadmin, and anime addict.
Have an Android smartphone? Try Atarashii!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Has anyone been whitelisted?

riotopsys - Nov 6, 2013

13 by Fribbtastic »»
Jan 9, 2014 8:39 AM

» Unsure how to change script for new API

KholdStare88 - Oct 29, 2013

4 by motoko »»
Nov 2, 2013 8:08 PM

Sticky: » 3rd party app not working? Look here!

Xinil - Oct 28, 2013

0 by Xinil »»
Oct 28, 2013 10:26 PM

» Is this still alive ?

FaustIMetal - Dec 25, 2012

1 by tblob »»
Jan 4, 2013 1:39 PM

» MAL For Android

riotopsys - Aug 4, 2010

0 by riotopsys »»
Aug 4, 2010 10:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.