Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2013 8:27 PM

Mar 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
After watching this I just have to say... Wow.. I didn't know what to expect when I started watching this, I didn't even expect that kind of end, which was beautiful by the way.
I'm sure one complaint some may have is the newish/unique art. I for one enjoyed that to. Its not your typical art style, instead its more different, unique, original, which is not a complaint to me.
There have been several animes and movies that have made me shed a tear towards the end. However, this one did that to me in more parts than just the end in this movie. I am not afraid to admit.

All 'n all..this movie was beautiful. I really enjoyed it from start to end. Very touching. Been a long time since I have seen a good movie, coupled with good animation and art..along with a great story and ending to go with it. Can you tell I liked it yet? :P
MoonFoxMar 30, 2013 8:30 PM
Apr 23, 2013 2:17 AM
Jun 2012
can you explain to me what happened I'm so lost. It had really bad audio wherever I went to find it so that took me out of it. But what I got from it was he went back in time for a month and met the two kids and liked the girl. But after that I'm lost, somehow he was 30 years in the past, except in the he's the same age as the girl, who's blind? Did he not go back to his time? I'm so confused.
Apr 23, 2013 11:50 AM

Jun 2009
miss_mandy said:
can you explain to me what happened I'm so lost. It had really bad audio wherever I went to find it so that took me out of it. But what I got from it was he went back in time for a month and met the two kids and liked the girl. But after that I'm lost, somehow he was 30 years in the past, except in the he's the same age as the girl, who's blind? Did he not go back to his time? I'm so confused.

eedraApr 23, 2013 11:54 AM
Aug 27, 2013 7:55 PM

Apr 2009
What a memorable summer that was!

I'm fine with the art style they've used but.. what's up with the last quarter of the film? When he was talking alone with the shrine priest, Yuuta's face was constantly wobbling and it looks like it's about to melt or something? When they were running together, Sae turning fat was creepy! >_<

Even though this has major supernatural element into it, I liked the bit of realism when they went to the mountain one last time during the festival, there aren't that many fireflies. Sure a lot of fireflies like the last time would be amazing or the legendary rainbow fireflies even but some expectations cannot be realistically be met. The rainbow fireflies did make an appearance near the end because the magical old man interfered. The lake scene at the ending was over the top for me, simply lots of fireflies would have done the trick, no more, no less. The flashy and blinding magical lights and walking on water was too much for me to take even though I've already accepted the supernatural part of it earlier on.

Kenzou was kinda cool character, I liked him more than Yuuta. Too bad he didn't remember, maybe because it's somebody else he had memory of on that summer (the one who's place Yuuta was borrowing in the past)?

I had minor complaints but I still enjoyed it till the end. 7/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 7, 2014 7:12 PM

Jul 2011
Didn't like the ending. Flashy lights wtf. Gimme my fireflies.

Oh, but the summer memories and the whole childhood/nostalgia thing was great.

I really liked Kenzo! I wish he remembered Yuuta, that was too bad.

But it was cute, better than I expected. :)
Aug 6, 2016 10:08 AM

Mar 2010
I really liked it so touching and cute. Unique artstyle to me was a plus but you either hate it or love it i guess.
But i didnt get the ending, so they were both dead or what @_@ ? Thats what i got out of it rest i inderstood :)

8/10
Feb 15, 2019 8:32 PM
Jul 2018
Kind of wasted potential for me since after we got to know her brother died but add up more spice of frustration for me when it mentioned our mc's dad was involved in this..! first of all, how he assumed that and how those scenario happened? Too much coincidence there and that didn't stop leading to again huge coincidence of their meeting at the end. Also feel like the show was milked with too much fantasy elements with cool backgrounds but that doesn't make sense adding to real life scenario.

Overall this movie left me really disappointed on the second half as how it started with mature direction which I thought this would have been be family drama but turned out to be typical boy-meets-girl story. Those experimental animation and art direction indeed was fantastic but still very risk to recommend this movie to others since there isn't much interesting theme explored and mostly forgettable characters.

More topics from this board

» this movie looks pretty beautiful

busterbeam - Feb 3, 2012

7 by Mayuka »»
Mar 29, 2013 8:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.