Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 18, 2013 7:17 PM
Aug 2011
Spotlight Thread: Chrono Trigger

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the game that focuses on the key elements that we here in these threads used to critically rate a game: Presentation, Graphics, Sound, Gameplay, and Lasting Appeal.

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pro's and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticize and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 23, 2013 10:59 PM
Dec 2012
As one of the first video games that really immersed me from the very beginning to the first ending I obtained, Chrono Trigger is top-notch in all of the criteria you've listed. It has a fantastic presentation with it's contrast between it's bright starting era to the bleakness of the future and the darkness of the past. Graphics and sound are one of the best the SNES has ever had, and the gameplay has some of the best RPG conventions when it comes to combat, exploration, and quests. It remains one of the best RPGs of any game generation.

There is though a trifecta of factors that puts it over the top. First, the combat system and the way the game rewards you for playing different party members into your party with unique team attacks. Second, the pacing is one of the best, as there are little to no boring spots where playing the game through each era feels like a drag. Finally, there's the characters themselves. They may have stock personalities, but their goals and mannerisms makes any one of them a fan favourite, whether it's Chrono's stoicism or Lucca's curiosity or Frog's nobility or how you get to play as a charismatic villain (or not).

I know this post is getting long, but my nostalgia for this game remains a fond memory to this day. It's still one of the games that sets the benchmarks for many an RPG, and deserves it's spot as one of the most beloved games to any a video game lover.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» I NOMINATE THE DEKU TREEE!

MrFahrenhieght - Feb 15, 2013

4 by malons »»
Feb 15, 2013 4:32 AM

» Nominate a Game

Saint_Zac - Feb 1, 2013

0 by Saint_Zac »»
Feb 1, 2013 8:42 PM

» You Decide: Chrono Trigger

Saint_Zac - Feb 1, 2013

0 by Saint_Zac »»
Feb 1, 2013 8:33 PM

» You Decide: Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Saint_Zac - Jan 18, 2013

12 by Neophant »»
Jan 23, 2013 11:00 PM

» You Decide: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Saint_Zac - Dec 28, 2012

20 by MrBlond »»
Jan 16, 2013 8:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.