Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 24, 2012 11:50 PM

Jan 2011
Actually I was going across Yahoo and this came up... Gonna try it Monday probably, or tomorrow after work... If I got the funds... (NashiCon is this coming Saturday. Gonna be there both days. Guest VAs are Spike Spencer and Caitlin Glass)

Anyway, on to this stuff.

Chicken Nuggets
by Tricia Williams and Elisabeth Nelson
Makes 26

12 oz. ground chicken
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup quinoa flakes
1/3 cup golden flaxseed meal
1/3 cup oat flour
1/3 cup arrowroot
3 large egg whites
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. safflower oil

INGREDIENT INFO: Golden flaxseed meal and oat flour can be found online at bobsredmill.com . Arrowroot, a thickening agent, is available in the spice section of many supermarkets and at natural foods stores and Asian markets.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Place chicken in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Using a 1-oz. melon baller, scoop out 26 portions of chicken, transferring them to prepared baking sheet as you go. Chill chicken on sheet for 20 minutes.

Combine quinoa flakes, flaxseed meal, and flour in a small bowl. Place arrowroot in another small bowl. Whisk egg whites in a medium bowl until foamy. Gently press chicken portions to flatten slightly. Working with 1 portion at a time, roll chicken in arrowroot, dip in egg whites, and dredge in flaxseed mixture. Return chicken to baking sheet.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add chicken nuggets and cook, turning once, until browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer nuggets back to baking sheet and cook in oven for 6 minutes. Serve immediately.

Info and Extras

***EGG WHITES***

Interesting thing with egg whites. They whip nicely and add volume to your dish. If you do work with them, the best method to use with them in mixtures is to fold them in instead of mixing them. The purpose of whipping egg whites is to incorporate air, giving it that foamy texture.

When you bake with egg whites, it gives a puffy texture like melted marshmallow.. again, because of the trapped air inside the whipped whites, it forms a kind of shell. It's used mainly as a main ingredient in meringues.

In this case, you're using them as a coating for your breading. That's really is a nice alternative to using a whole egg wash, since it cuts down on the yolk, and the calories that come with it. Just as stated earlier, be gentle when dipping in your egg whites. More you layer it on, more volume you'll have.

***BREADING***

I realize that ingredients with funny names usually mean they're expensive. Try something else as a breading. Probably something creative would be grounded up croutons. Carefully crush them up in a bag (either course or fine, whichever to your texture) and pour them on a sheet pan (or hotel pan, or even a large bowl). Depending on your flavor of croutons, that's what your chicken will be.

Other curious breadings can be grounded up bread, corn flakes, panko, white/wheat flour, or anything else you can come up with.

Just keep in mind that deviating from the recipe changes the healthy aspects. Quinoa flakes are gluten-free and require cooking. Flaxseed is known mainly for the Omega-3 essential fatty acids, fiber content, and estrogen (sex hormone in women.. it affects the arousal in.. certain places. Higher level of estrogen, higher level satisfaction for girls. You get the idea.)

***FRYING OILS***

I probably stressed this a couple of times, but be cautious on which kind of oil you use to fry. Some oils, like safflower, virgin olive oil, or butter, are better suited for medium temperature sauteing, while canola, vegetable, or peanut oil can be used for deep frying.

Heating up an oil releases fatty acids and breaks down the oil into glycerol, which is pretty much a carbohydrate. More fatty acids get produced, the lower the smoke temperature.

***SAFETY***

If you choose to deep fry, remember.... Oil splatters easily. Temperatures can reach as high as 475F + degrees. It's not a good idea to just drop in your food carelessly.

Either ease it in, or toss it in away from your body. Here's something they'll teach you in a Japanese sushi bar if you're making tempura: Holding the tempura item by the end, swirl it around in the cooking oil first, then as you're motioning away from your body, let go of the shrimp halfway through. Basically if you do it right, there will be little to no splatter, and if there is a splatter it would be AWAY from your body, seeing the force of the drop is going OPPOSITE from where you're standing. Safe and simple.

***DONENESS***

Make sure your chicken is cooked. Ground meat is a tricky one, even more so since it's chicken you're dealing with. Remember, the internal temperature of cooked chicken is 165F degrees. Salmonella is a hell of a sickness....

Fun thing about chicken is that you can overcook it a little, so it's pretty easy on you sometimes. And I said you can overcook it A LITTLE...

But hey, always a fun thing to try right? Have fun with this one!
RamenSoup43Mar 24, 2012 11:54 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 25, 2012 10:44 AM

Mar 2009
I'll put this on my "plan to learn" list ^^
Mar 25, 2012 1:44 PM

Jan 2011
Heh.. I make a habit of giving little knowledge bits at the end of every recipe I post. If anything, it's some nice random knowledge to know. Feel free to post any of your own recipes too
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» About 10 years ago....

RamenSoup43 - Mar 2, 2021

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Mar 2, 2021 7:49 PM

» RAMENSOUP RECIPE POST: Pancit Bihon

RamenSoup43 - Nov 24, 2016

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 24, 2016 4:44 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Chopsticks Dos and Don'ts"

RamenSoup43 - Nov 21, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 21, 2015 8:14 PM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "There's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited!"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 4, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 4, 2015 7:04 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Just showing off?"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 1, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 1, 2015 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.