Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Baccano! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 26, 2007 3:38 PM

Oct 2006
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.----------------------------------------
Well... the hype was so big I had to go and watch the raw. To bad the raw quality was crappy... hopefully something better will come out later.

Although I didn't understand a big part of the dialogues. The first ep made one hell of an impression.
The OP is just awesome and the ED is great too. Background music is great as expected.
And I love the art style. First thing you hear after the OP finishes is the unmistakable voice of Norio Wakamoto (Hayate no Gotoku! narrator ^^). win~
There were some pretty unexpected scenes in terms of graphical violence. The Mob; supernatural; awesome looking characters... I think I'm gonna love this show.

More comments when subs come out^^

Screencaps (in no particular order):
KayrhandrosAug 1, 2007 10:34 AM
Jul 26, 2007 7:01 PM

Nov 2006
OMG it's out?!
/me runs to TT for the RAW.
thanks for posting about it <3
Jul 26, 2007 9:14 PM

May 2007
Whoa...the screen caps look quite interesting. I'm going to have to check this one out when I get the chance.
Jul 28, 2007 3:32 PM

Feb 2007
does anyone know who's going to sub it?
I think it's rumoured that Ayu, spu and/or Umai might sub it. I personally hope they all hold out until After the FAL points are counted.. so I can swap my bench. >_>

I really can't wait to watch this!
Jul 29, 2007 3:21 AM

Oct 2006
hehe. Well your wish might come true SY, since so far no subs came out.
I dunno about Spu or Umai but Ayu confirmed that they will sub it
Jul 29, 2007 8:14 AM

May 2006
Kayrhandros said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.----------------------------------------
Well... the hype was so big I had to go and watch the raw. To bad the raw quality was crappy... hopefully something better will come out later.

Unfortunately not... All the raws for this series are very ugly.

"I'll go crazy by the end of the year" - K Fu's comment while doing Proofs and Number Theory in Advanced Higher Maths
Jul 29, 2007 6:46 PM

Feb 2007
martino said:
Kayrhandros said:

Unfortunately not... All the raws for this series are very ugly.

Boo!!! : (

Maybe Ayu is delayed because they think all the raws looks ugly and they are.. annoyed? I don't know..
They better get it out soon after the FAL points are counted though.. I really want to see this!
Aug 1, 2007 10:45 AM

Oct 2006
So, Ayu finally subbed the first ep. and the video quality is actually better then the raws, so they might have got another source.

Anyway, seems like the story might be told from the different perspectives of various characters, though it's still pretty blurry and we still don't know what is this event that happened in 1930. There's a huge amount of characters.. I dunno how are they gonna sort'em out, but I'm already loving some of them. There's some pretty violent scenes like I had said... it's every day you see a kid get his head blown up... or some guy losing is fingers... though it seems they're both immortal. I've counted 3 so far, maybe 4 if Issac is one of them too. I can't wait to see how this show is gonna develop.
Aug 1, 2007 11:11 AM

Nov 2006
Kayrhandros said:
So, Ayu finally subbed the first ep. and the video quality is actually better then the raws, so they might have got another source.

Anyway, seems like the story might be told from the different perspectives of various characters, though it's still pretty blurry and we still don't know what is this event that happened in 1930. There's a huge amount of characters.. I dunno how are they gonna sort'em out, but I'm already loving some of them. There's some pretty violent scenes like I had said... it's every day you see a kid get his head blown up... or some guy losing is fingers... though it seems they're both immortal. I've counted 3 so far, maybe 4 if Issac is one of them too. I can't wait to see how this show is gonna develop.

seems to be alot of people that are immortal, two of them were filled up with bullets. kinda gross me out with dude got his fingers cut off.

Aug 1, 2007 11:27 AM

Oct 2006
darkvoltage said:
seems to be alot of people that are immortal, two of them were filled up with bullets. kinda gross me out with dude got his fingers cut off.
Yep. Firo, Luck and the kid.. and Isaac might be another one, though if he is, he didn't seem aware of it.
The more gory scenes didn't gross me out. I was more like surprised they showed them without censoring and stuff. But then again, the show airs after midnight so I guess they don't have problems. Which is good.
Aug 1, 2007 1:26 PM

Oct 2006
I just watched it, and I'm quite impressed. My only gripe is that so far the storytelling is a bit jumbled, as it prioritizes being artistic and cool over understandable. Hopefully it'll make more sense as the show progresses. Same with the characters - for one episode there are too many to keep up with. Definitely some cool ones though - I'm quite fond of the art, the music, the voice acting, and especially the setting. Prohibition-era New York is an awesome and pretty unique stage for an anime. I'm definitely looking forward to the rest, and I'm sure I'll be enjoying it even more once things begin to make a little more sense.
Aug 1, 2007 1:31 PM

Nov 2006
this kinda reminds me of highlander, with all these people that just wont die.

Aug 1, 2007 11:02 PM

Apr 2007
this is one of a kind anime. definitely gonna continue watching!
Aug 1, 2007 11:44 PM

Jul 2007
I think that if you want to break their characters into groups, just look at the poster being used as the picture. You've got the immortal group seen at the end of the first ep together. The Mafia group and the people on the train. Then there's the couple dancing in between the groups. Now, ofcourse these groups intersect and it's not that accurate.

The amount of characters seen in the first ep hits you in the face like a brick, how am I supposed to remember all these people? If they make it right it shouldn't be too hard. Look at Infinite Ryvius, that had hundreds of unique characters.

Sam is my sweet peach
Aug 2, 2007 12:27 AM

Jul 2007
I just watched it and I'll say its interesting.
Quite surprising that they show some kid head getting blow right off. My mind went "Holy Hell!" since it came out of nowhere.
Aug 2, 2007 3:29 AM

Apr 2007
An interesting first ep, even thou i didnt quite get what was going on, and i can hardly remember most of the charecters..... I like the concept so far thats for sure, and im sure im gonna love this. though i dont think im gonna get used to Hayate's narrarators voice being in there XD.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 2, 2007 4:51 AM

Feb 2007
That was some first episode. One character that made me partically interested was Lua Klein, the woman who was with that crazy man outside near all those police officers. She shares the same last name as me. ^_^
I wonder how this will turn out, i am definitely continuing this show.
Aug 3, 2007 2:42 AM

Feb 2007
I loved it!!! I loved it to peices.. I still dont remember everycharacter, but I think they'll sort it out in the end.

ayu's sub had excellent quality.

I am really really happy that this will be violent.. I have been lacking something that is as potentially violent/gory at this.

I just loved the style and how it was all thrown together. This is probably going to be my favourite show this summer (if not, it will be Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei).
Aug 3, 2007 5:09 AM

Apr 2007
I liked it. Really good and from my favorite era for movies to come out of even. The roaring 30's sounds like a great series to me and I cant wait for number 2 to come out.
Aug 3, 2007 11:02 PM

Jan 2007
Wow, what an episode.
There are many characters that have been added to this show in the end. I`m still not getting what its all about.
You`ve got people rejenerating themselves. Some theives && then there`s reporters.
But so far i`ve gotten rivaling..."clans"[is what i call it. now i wonder if that has anything to do with this anime lol]

&& its really...extremely dark. i`m stickin with. <3
Aug 3, 2007 11:42 PM

Jan 2007
SO many characters. Great first episode. Looking forward to more.
Aug 4, 2007 5:54 AM

Jul 2007
I'm thinking there has to be some secret with the train or all the charecters wouldn't be conected to it.

And I can't believe no one's mentioned how awsome the OP is.

Sam is my sweet peach
Aug 4, 2007 4:55 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
There are indeed a lot of characters, but judging from the preview that women who was holding on to that suitcase in the river is going to be my favourite, we shall see. I didn't really mind the cutting of the fingers, I was more surprised by the kid getting his head blown off - like others said. I love the art of the surroundings, it simply looks beautifully old and makes me want to play Mafia again heh. Definitely looking forward to more.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Aug 5, 2007 12:40 AM

Jul 2007
I think the book Eve Genoard is reading in the OP is Robinson Crusoe, that probably doesn't mean anythnig at all, but hey.

Sam is my sweet peach
Aug 7, 2007 10:37 PM

Aug 2007
Very impressive storytelling. Even though there 's a bunch of characters, they seem unique enough to remember in a later time. If it turns out right and have development enough in 13 episodes , it will be one of my most favourite show. Not to mention awesome OP and beautiful Yuki Kajiura ending song. And the cool characters......well so far I love Luck Gandor, mafia+immortal+Takehito Koyasu 's voice= perfect man for me.
Aug 8, 2007 3:13 AM

Apr 2007
holy shit! D:

*melts from teh <3*
Aug 25, 2007 11:35 PM

Aug 2007
What a crazy awesome episode -- lots of characters thrown in and jumbled story development. The 30's is one of my favorite eras (even if it's drab-looking), so this gets + cool points for me. Definitely sticking to this. :)

Not really surprised by the violence, but the kid getting his head blown off made me wince.

Luck Gandor reading a poem said:
"Thy soul shall find itself alone,
'mid dark thoughts of the grey tombstone
not one, of all the crowd, to pry,
into thine hour of secrecy...."

The excerpt is from Edgar Allan Poem's Spirits of the Dead. ^_^

And here's the official website.
Sep 14, 2007 12:49 PM

Jul 2007
Pretty good episode, theres a lot of awesome characters, lol I couldn't believe they had a scene with a little kid getting his head blown off, it was pure win lol but I'm glad he came back to life, all and all this series seems very interesting, the only thing I didn't like was that little girl Carole in the beginning she annoyed me so quickly haha
Nov 25, 2007 12:21 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
So I just made Baccano my long-time rewatching project, I'll basically watch it all again. Now with the DVD episodes, you can see some things better than on the regular releases.

Watching only the first episode makes a lot of things much clearer.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Nov 25, 2007 6:26 PM

Jan 2007
I was thinking I should rewatch it, too - at least the first ep. I've probably forgotten a lot over the course of the 13 eps.
Nov 25, 2007 7:32 PM

Oct 2007
I re watched this after the 1700s episode... which was 7 I think, a lot of things made much more sense at that stage. I'll probably re watch all of Baccano right before DVD Volume 5 comes out which I believe is the first one to have a dvd only episode.
Dec 4, 2007 10:30 PM

Sep 2007
(four months late)

woah! what an awesome first episode. Wish I would have picked it up while it was airing...
Feb 5, 2008 1:14 PM

Nov 2007
First episode was made of win and Wakamoto Norio. This just went to the top of my priority watch list.
May 16, 2008 11:30 PM

Oct 2007
I loved the first episode. It was really interesting how they set up the whole story and main character stuff. This episode was so full of action I wish i had paid more attention to the details. The animation is absolutely amazing, and the characters look really promising as well. I'm defneitely looking forward to watching this series now.
Jun 5, 2008 11:38 PM

May 2008
OMG What the hell just happened?! Uber episode.
Jun 11, 2008 1:08 PM

May 2008
for some reason this episode made me remember the movie "the illusionist"
anyways great episode (about a year late!?)

Jul 3, 2008 1:08 PM

Mar 2008
Ive heard good things about this series, and since it is short I thought I would give it a go. I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the first episode when I watched it so I didnt really understand what was happening. I am going to give it another go now.

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei
Jul 16, 2008 9:32 AM

Feb 2008
Awesome series... but i would really like to know... what was up with the scene at around 18:30?... the one with the blond chick... right after she cuts Issac's ear and it heals... and it shows most of the characters in that room... didn't see it at all till the end... explain someone :P
Sep 4, 2008 8:29 PM

Aug 2008
Well, I just finished watching the first episode and let me tell you, that was more than a little confusing. It seems like a number of the characters are connected to the train or the mob, and most of them have the ability to heal. I hope things start to get sorted out in the next episode or two.
Sep 14, 2008 12:21 PM

Jun 2007
djinn_690 said:
for some reason this episode made me remember the movie "the illusionist"

-didnt though about that- but yeah, kind of reminds me of the movie... (which is awesome<3 one of my favorite movies)
&yes, the OP is amazing :3
-will like this anime-
Sep 16, 2008 10:46 AM

Jun 2008
OMG how bloody.... freakin'.... awesome.
Me liek. *__*

Sig WILL change soon~
Sep 18, 2008 5:25 AM

May 2008
You know, this is a lot more entertaining than I thought it'd be.
And it starts off with a loli.:D

A quality loli. Well.. quality enough. I like the art style. Yet I don't like the art style. That's weird.
It's the sort of mafia and twenties Americana thing I thought it would have going on from
And for that reason I thought I wouldn't like it because it would be too dark and dank.
But it's not dark and dank. It's actually quite peppy. Well...peppy might not be the word.
But it has an air to it that's easier to watch than I had expected.

And by the art style, it's not just the theme and retro look, the animation has that sort of feel.
A feel that would be expected from this type of anime. But it's done well.
As in..I think the animators did a good job with this sort of style. In that it's not usually my sort of style, but I'm enjoying it anyway.

Anime will do that. They'll take something you find dark and dank and uninteresting, and turn in into something that truly turns you on. Much better than I expected. Much much better.

Too bad I've only been able to find it in Spanish sub so far.:/

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 5, 2008 2:36 AM

Jun 2008
This anime was so hyped that I just had to watch it. And yes, it's indeed quite awesome.
Nov 4, 2008 9:17 AM

May 2008
Is Baccano! eng dub already cuz i would love to see it dub not sub. hmm since i have watch a lot of anime sub japanese is starting to annoying me specially the girl voices :( to kidish for my taste.
Nov 14, 2008 6:13 AM

May 2008
i didn't get too much from the 1st episode
the opening reminded me of Cowboy Bebop
Jan 2, 2009 11:29 AM

Mar 2008
Totally and utterly confused, tons of information flying in all directions, can not for the hell of me remember any of the character's names, characters left right and centre....yet.....
I LOVE IT!!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2009 11:31 AM

Mar 2008
hopefully ill figure it all out as i go along...but i can see i will defineately watch this all again afterwards to make much more sense of it all a 2nd time around!! awesomee :D
Jan 13, 2009 11:36 AM

Nov 2008
Looking at the score, I'm not the only one who hadn't appreciate it. Or may be I just hate blood. But I'll watch at least till the 3rd episode to give this anime a chance to change my opinion on it)

Credits for the av go to whispering-eden.livejournal.com =)
I used to be Dolce_Vitka here, but Vitka_Lynx is my nickname at alost all other sites, so I decided to take it here, too ^___^
Jan 17, 2009 9:14 PM

Jul 2008
sugarplumfairy said:
Totally and utterly confused, tons of information flying in all directions, can not for the hell of me remember any of the character's names, characters left right and centre....yet.....
I LOVE IT!!!!
Ha ha, I have the exact same feeling, so many characters all at once. I only hope that understanding concerning this series will come upon me.
Mar 21, 2009 12:06 AM

Jun 2008
Holy mother of crap, this was intense, it was amazing. I loved it. I want more!
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baccano! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayrhandros - Aug 16, 2007

149 by Benassiesto »»
Aug 22, 3:04 PM

Poll: » Baccano! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

cyruz - Aug 13, 2007

203 by Benassiesto »»
Aug 19, 12:32 PM

Poll: » Baccano! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Siing - Nov 24, 2007

401 by PsiQ »»
Jul 12, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Baccano! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

accela - Oct 8, 2007

181 by TippyTree »»
Jun 25, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Baccano! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

BadSeafood - Nov 17, 2007

145 by Omega1Mastemon »»
Apr 30, 2:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.