Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 22, 2011 12:45 AM
Nov 2010
Alright today I will be reviewing the mixtape Covert Coup by Curren$y with production by The Alchemist. It was a special mixtape released by Curren$y for free in honor of 4/20.

Flow of the Mixtape: The first track, BBS, has a nice smooth beat and does a great job of setting the tone for the rest of the mixtape. The second track entitled "The Type" features a verse by rapper Prodigy from Mobb Deep. This track is a little bit faster than the last track but the transition between the two tracks was well done. The thing I love most about this track is that halfway through, it slows down and starts to fade out, then comes right back up with Prodigy spitting his verse. The next track is called "Blood Sweat and Tears" and features a verse by rapper Fiend. Another great beat, although this much is expected since it is produced by Alchemist. Curren$y really spits well over this beat, same thing with rapper Fiend who sounds a little bit like The Rockness Monstah from Heltah Skeltah. Next song is called "Life Instructions" which features a verse by rapper Smoke DZA. This track is a bit slower than the last so it has kind of like a weird transition. Rapper Smoke DZA's verse was alright nothing special really. Next track is called "Smoke Break" which is probably my favorite track of the mixtape so far. It serves as a transition between the first half of the mixtape to the second. The beat is just beautiful it really amplifies Curren$y's verse and makes it sound amazing. Next track is called "Scottie Pippens" which if you couldn't guess already is a song about Chicago and features refrence to retired NBA player Scottie Pippen. This track has a dope verse from rapper Freddie Gibbs, who in my opinion just kills Curren$y on his own track. Next song "Ventilation" slows everything way down, so another odd transition from the last track. Still a great song though just really, really slow. Next song is called "Double 07" which starts off with a sample form an old 80s rock song called "Brite Eyes" by Robbin Thompson Band, then all of a sudden the beat drops. Another great song with a dope beat. The next track is called "Success is my Cologne" which has my second favorite beat on the mixtape. It picks up the speed and is faster than the last couple of tracks, hopefully setting up for an awesome ending track. The last song is called "Full Metal" and it was everything I hoped it would be. It starts off with one beat, fades out, then has some talking, and then the beat drops and it's a completely different beat. Great ending to a great mixtape.

TL;DR: Beats are fucking amazing, lyrically nothing really innovative usual Curren$y stuff, it's basically a great mixtape for lighting up to which is what it was intended for anyways. Only thing I found wrong with this mixtape was some transitions between tracks were off but nothing really major.
WIZ KHALIFA TAKE NOTE THIS IS HOW YOU DO STONER RAP. 8/10

Lyrics: Weed, bitches, hood shit, and JETS. Oh yeah an interesting note on this album is that Curren$y actually switches his usual rapping style on the track "Smoke Break." 7/10

Production: Alchemist, that's all I have to say about that. 10/10

Overall Score: 8.5/10 With Alchemist produced tracks this mixtape is a definite must own. I feel like I owe Curren$y and Alchemist 10 dollars after listening to this mixtape, it's just that great. So if you're not looking for anything to lyrical and just want something to put on while you chill, this is the mixtape you should be playing.

Well as usual post your thoughts/comments on this mixtape below.
BinaryStarApr 22, 2011 12:55 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 22, 2011 2:07 AM
Jul 2010
Well what do we have to expect... of course curren$y is going to rap about the shit that made that famous. I listened to the whole album today and I give it a 7 out of 10 period.
#disappointed
Apr 22, 2011 3:10 AM

Mar 2011
Bin listening to this for the last day and abit and i have to say this is just what i expected this album to be from great beats (just what you'd expect from alchemist) to some dope lyrics from curren$y and other rappers. i would have to give this and 8/10
as it could of had 1 or 2 extra tracks just to make it a little bit better and just like BinaryStar saidd some some the transitions between tracks could have been better sorted but other then that its a great album.
Apr 22, 2011 8:12 AM

Feb 2011
With Alchemist on production I'd get the mixtape practically for just that but if I end up seeing an entire album or mixtape produced by Just Blaze it's game over.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» General Discussion

BinaryStar - Feb 3, 2015

0 by BinaryStar »»
Feb 3, 2015 4:38 PM

» Fav. Producers?

chocolaetmaelk - Nov 19, 2012

5 by sebainter »»
Apr 6, 2013 7:38 AM

» Who's your favorite rapper?

FiendishJZA - Aug 25, 2012

7 by sebainter »»
Apr 6, 2013 7:27 AM

» GeminiEye's video thread

GeminiEye - Jan 13, 2013

4 by GeminiEye »»
Feb 28, 2013 1:59 AM

» The 2012 List

Counterpart - Oct 26, 2012

7 by FiendishJZA »»
Dec 14, 2012 11:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.