Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 23, 2008 1:05 PM
Aug 2008
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that Utena is under appreciated?
I feel that Utena can be a good learning tool.
As the series is mainly about 'coming of age' and has many issues that can are considered to be taboo. Such as incest, sexuality and the meaning of life etc
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Dec 14, 2008 7:54 PM

Apr 2008
I can't say that everything I've learned about sex, I've learned from Utena, but I was a freshman in high school when I first watched the series, so you could say that this was a stepping stone in looking at sex from an "intellectual" point of view.

And yes, Utena is very underappreciated. I'm probably the only person in my school who likes the series. It's acutally one of the most intelligent anime I've ever seen.
Dec 22, 2008 8:18 AM

Mar 2008
I think part of the reason why this series is under appreciated relates to people's preferences in terms of entertainment: a lot of people are of the mentality that if something makes them think, then God forbid them seeing it as something enjoyable. A lot of people see thinking as a chore--maybe even a frightening activity! Considering that SKU is most certainly a show that evokes thought, and isn't a collection of "colorful explodies" or a sappy romance, some people see SKU as being something annoying instead of something to appreciate.
Dec 22, 2008 11:04 AM

Jun 2007
I think it's hard to see how deep Utena is from a description or synopsis, so probably many people, especially guys, just don't watch it in the first place.
Dec 22, 2008 7:26 PM

Jan 2008
Everyone to whom I have shown Utena loved it. However, the show has a strong dadaist influence which turns many people off -- it means you have to pay attention. It also alludes to many things, which some may catch, others intuit, but most will just be clueless and then feel like they are in the presence of an "In Joke" of which they are not a part.
Jul 19, 2009 9:01 PM

Jul 2009
I think people (mostly guys, but not only) are put off by the very shoujo-ish style of both anime and manga.

There's also the taboo issue. They are called taboos for a reason. Though I do enjoy broad, varied themes in my anime, I imagine people don't want to have their very own beliefs confronted on a, well, cartoon.

nexist418 said:
Everyone to whom I have shown Utena loved it. However, the show has a strong dadaist influence

Dadaism. Interesting. i have never made this link. Care to point how you made this association? i mean, if it was a scene/moment in the anime that you though "oh, this is so dada".
cereja-chanJul 19, 2009 9:06 PM
Oct 28, 2010 10:37 AM

Jun 2008
Nah, I don't think Utena is underrated. It has plenty of fans.
My point of view is that it's just complex, weird, unique, kind of abnormal on a so high level that not everyone can understand and enjoy it. Basically, it's a niche product.
I myself was confused and surprised when I watched for the first time, and even now that I'm watching it for the second time there are a few things that I can't fully understand or like.
For someone who just wants an enjoyable, simple anime, and not something celebral where you have to find dozens of metaphors and symbolism, Utena is too heavy.
I agree with cereja-cha up here, not everyone wants incest in their anime. I love brother-sister incest, but I think Utena abuses of it. Akio & Anthy, Touga & Nanami, Miki & Kozue: six characters are involved in an incestous situation, that's too much.
This anime's best things are the visuals, graphics, female characters, and music, but it has plenty of flaws. My opinion.

watching, waiting, commiserating
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which 'Shoujo Kakumei Utena' character is your favorite?

Louchan - Oct 16, 2007

37 by removed-user »»
Feb 7, 2021 9:00 AM

» Utena Symbolism~

Elysiana - Aug 28, 2008

6 by rorolovesducks »»
Apr 4, 2017 9:31 AM

» Original 'Shoujo Kakumei Utena' manga?

Racchan - Oct 19, 2007

8 by Ricequake »»
Jul 13, 2014 10:34 PM

Poll: » What is your favorite arc in Shoujo Kakumei Utena TV Series?

MusashiRose - Jun 8, 2010

2 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Oct 28, 2010 10:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.