Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 26, 2008 8:47 AM
Jun 2008
What do you consider to be Harry Potter Canon? I ask this because I've had some people say only the books are canon, others say that J.K. Rowling's words are also canon.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 26, 2008 8:50 AM
Jun 2008
I pursonally think that the books are absolute canon. What Rowling says, it can consitute canon, but not absolute canon, only semi-canon. Also, the context and where what she says is, for example, her site versus the tabloids equals different levels of semi-canon.

I believe this because there are certain works of Tolkien that are canon, while others were semi-canon because they were in the rough draft stage. His letters give his thoughts and can be considered more canon then something written in a newspaper.
Oct 28, 2008 2:35 PM
Mar 2008
Obviously the books are the most canon, but what Rowling says is important, and can give some valuable insights. Although to be honest, if something she says differs from my interpretation, I tend to ignore it xD But that's just me :] Seriously though, she does come out with a hell of a lot of flints (personally I love her for that xD) and there are more flints in what she says in interviews etc. than in the books (for example, she once said that Charlie was two years older than Percy; in which case he should have been at Hogwarts in the first book!)
Nov 1, 2008 8:06 PM
Jun 2008
Expessully when what she says doesn't quite fit with some of the things she has done in the books... or it's clique... aka... her saying Dumbledor is gay... I mean, purple?
teriyaki said:
and there are more flints in what she says in interviews etc. than in the books (for example, she once said that Charlie was two years older than Percy; in which case he should have been at Hogwarts in the first book!)

That's actually one of the things that makes me say it isn't complete canon... until it is put down on the books. And sometimes people miss say things. I like her site though.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Sorting Hat Quiz

kahlua_coco - Oct 8, 2007

37 by malinbelle »»
Feb 7, 2016 1:27 PM

» Deathly Hallows -- Which Death Made You the Saddest?

Chelle - Aug 7, 2007

46 by removed-user »»
Sep 1, 2010 11:53 AM

» Last 'Harry Potter' Book Becomes 2 Films

Asrialys - Mar 13, 2008

7 by Yamane-chan »»
May 6, 2010 2:22 AM

» Harry Potter RP

konakona - Aug 9, 2007

2 by yukigirl »»
Nov 19, 2009 6:29 PM

» The BEST Literary Character Ever!! (IMHO) SPOILERS!!!

Chelle - Oct 16, 2007

17 by KasaraEm13 »»
Oct 20, 2009 9:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.