Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 30, 10:30 AM
Jan 2012
Recommendations are all about "Child protagonists" and "Cute on outside, dark inside", but I wanna find a manga with similar atmosphere of exploration, discovery and adventure, going into unknown and possibly hostile world. Anything along these lines? Preferably seinen or at least more mature, not loaded with shonen tropes and superpowers.
May 30, 11:03 AM
Aug 2022
Girls last tour is really good and gives you that vibe. But I've searched around quite a lot a and can't find one that truly scratches that exploration itch like made in abyss
May 30, 11:14 AM
Mar 2021
This is very high Fantasy anime,The world building was a wonder,i have similar fantasy , it maches by 50℅ atleast
Gran blue fantasy,wolf children,gient bests of ars,...
Anime Rules the world
May 30, 11:26 AM

Jul 2021
Completely different vibe and genre, but Dungeon Meshi has interesting exploration kiiiiiiinda too. I’ve even seen memes that it is basically Made in Abyss for normies lmao
May 30, 12:11 PM
Sep 2022
Heavenly Delusion of course
May 30, 12:15 PM
Jan 2020
recommend Fushigi no Umi no Nadia (but it's from the 90s)
May 30, 7:34 PM
Aug 2022
KawaiiWaz said:
Girls last tour is really good and gives you that vibe. But I've searched around quite a lot a and can't find one that truly scratches that exploration itch like made in abyss

Post apocalyptic is as close as you get I think. So I'd recommend GLT, yokohama kaidashi kikou, Scavengers reign, kino no tabi, desert punk, and Gakkougurashi
May 30, 8:03 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to pastuch
Completely different vibe and genre, but Dungeon Meshi has interesting exploration kiiiiiiinda too. I’ve even seen memes that it is basically Made in Abyss for normies lmao
pastuch said:
I don't know where you have seen that memes but that has to be the most wrong memes ever. When Made in abyss is more popular than Dungeon Meshi. Cooking elements alone turn off Normies lol.
May 30, 9:15 PM
Apr 2023
Necrius said:
Recommendations are all about "Child protagonists" and "Cute on outside, dark inside", but I wanna find a manga with similar atmosphere of exploration, discovery and adventure, going into unknown and possibly hostile world. Anything along these lines? Preferably seinen or at least more mature, not loaded with shonen tropes and superpowers.

Girls Last Tour. If it's about exploration then it's the best. and Would put it on my top 3 in terms of soundtracks.
May 30, 9:15 PM
Apr 2023
KawaiiWaz said:

for me i haven't found one that has the vibe,atmosphere like glt
May 30, 9:19 PM
Apr 2023
SIimyBread said:
Necrius said:

Girls Last Tour. If it's about exploration then it's the best. and Would put it on my top 3 in terms of soundtracks.

also forgot about Kino's journey (2003) that one's incredible too
May 31, 11:52 AM
Aug 2020
The Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind manga is a great series when it comes to adventure and exploration. Nothing else can really compare to Made in Abyss.
Jun 1, 7:30 AM
Aug 2022
SIimyBread said:
KawaiiWaz said:

Yep, nothing has as good of a post-apocalyptic atmosphere as GLT. I keep searching and the closest really good thing I've found is scavengers reign, highly recommended checking it out
Jun 1, 7:34 AM
Apr 2023
KawaiiWaz said:
SIimyBread said:

Yep, nothing has as good of a post-apocalyptic atmosphere as GLT. I keep searching and the closest really good thing I've found is scavengers reign, highly recommended checking it out

I'll check it out asap. The closest thing i found to glt was Kino's Journey, Sonny Boy. there's an anime airing this season called " Train to the end of the world" and gigguk(+others) said it's like GLT . so im extremely hyped. only watched 2 eps for now and it's kind of similiar, gotta watch the rest to understand
Jul 4, 2:10 PM
Jan 2021
If you’re open to different forms of media/entertainment as well I got a couple of recommendations.

-Dark Souls, The Author of MiA said before Dark Souls was a huge inspiration.

-Elden Ring, made by the same company as Dark Souls. This game is the epitome of adventure, exploration and discovery.

-Dante Alighieri’s Divine Comedy, It’s about Dante’s journey through hell. Like MiA’s abyss this book’s depiction of hell also has layers and gets progressively worse the deeper he goes.
Jul 11, 8:50 AM
Apr 2018
Dungeon meshi is very similar in terms of exploration and cute/dark
Jul 17, 7:07 AM
Oct 2021
Girls’ Last Tour - instead of going down, they’re going up.

Ok, that’s an oversimplification, but the vibes are really similar and I wouldn’t want to spoil anything :)
Aug 21, 2:26 PM

Sep 2016
Dungeon Meshi has a Abyss-like vibe, because of exploring new areas, many unusual monsters, adventures and of course cooking.
Definitely worth checking.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 69 Discussion

Satou0Kun - Aug 31

25 by topfloorboss45 »»
Oct 18, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 68 Discussion

Satou0Kun - Aug 31

6 by nanajp »»
Oct 16, 3:49 PM

» When is the manga likely to end

loafing_loafer - Sep 22

6 by ZachyMoof »»
Oct 4, 12:46 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 67 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Feb 14

34 by topfloorboss45 »»
Sep 27, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 61 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Oct 19, 2021

29 by topfloorboss45 »»
Sep 24, 10:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.