Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

unironicly best new anime adaptation of the year if this adaptation is faithful

New
Apr 12, 2023 6:27 PM
Oct 2015
LITERALLY one of the ONLY REVERSE ISEKAIS (magical being comes to our world instead of other way around)
by the author of baccano and durarara as well.

insanely well made manga, massive cast, unless the anime fucks it up, its going to be as good as baccano! or most likely better.

the only other anime that might rival the quality that is getting adapted this year is probably "the witch and the best" or “tengoku damayo”

EDIT: AFTER SEEING the pluto adaptation and the trailers thats probably going to beat this as anime of the year. 

Neostorm-XApr 13, 2023 2:58 PM
Apr 12, 2023 6:37 PM
Sep 2021
I like it, but you can't declare like that since Oshi no Ko, Jigokuraku and Frieren are also airing this year
Apr 12, 2023 6:52 PM
Oct 2015
HOLY SHIT fuck i take that back,
I DID NOT REALIZE PLUTO WAS GETTING ADAPTED THIS YEAR!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuUhYOyJn78
ok nvm i think pluto might beat this.
Apr 12, 2023 6:56 PM
Oct 2015
PrasadRT said:
I like it, but you can't declare like that since Oshi no Ko, Jigokuraku and Frieren are also airing this year
i've read all of them, and yes this is much better. those you mentioned don't hold a candle 

frieren got repetitive too soon,
it had a very strong start but the author didn't know where to take it. it could have been interesting like dungion meshi where senshi the old veteran helped a few guy with their own adventures. however freren's companions have literally no dynamic they are extremely boring and one note, and freren herself doesn't work as a character in a vaccum, the whole "OMG IM SO SAD MY COMPANIONS PASSED AWAY DUE TO ME LONG LIFE AS AN ELF" gets super fucking old since the author doesn't do anything interesting with it, slice of life doesn't mean you can just rehash things over and over.

Oshi no Ko is decent, however I dislike how the manga completely forgot the original focus of finding the killer and focuses too much on the drama, instead of basicly being a murder mystery thriller of infiltrating the upper ranks of the entertainment industry, not saying its bad (actually replacing act age as my go to acting manga now that it has canceled)

and  Jigokuraku was really sad because I loved the first few chapters of introduciton them going to the island etc the backstories of everyone etc.
however it soon devolved from a mystery horror thriller of going to a mysterious island, and became a stupid battlemanga.
a peer once said this to me "I absolutely despied the fact that eventually devolved to the point where fights became "NOOO you can't beat him you are the WRONG ELEMENT REEE" "WOW your element is stronger you are unbeatable" like WTF use strategy what happened to the first few chapters where they actually had interesting dynamics"
basically it went to shit, its like naruto shippuden vs the original, the power escalation and eventually fights became boring and badly designed it was more like dragon ball z rather than being unique fights that involve actual techniques as a shinobi etc.

Neostorm-XApr 12, 2023 11:27 PM
Apr 12, 2023 8:07 PM
Jan 2021
Neostorm-X said:
LITERALLY one of the ONLY REVERSE ISEKAIS (magical being comes to our world instead of other way around)

insanely well made manga, massive cast, unless the anime fucks it up, its going to be as good as baccano! or most likely better.

the only other anime that might rival the quality that is getting adapted this year is probably "the witch and the best"

>inb4 BUT ATTACK ON TITANNNNNNNN 
manga readers already know its not looking good if they follow the manga

It seems interesting but at the same time, it seems like it will fall off rather fast. It seems like it's better than the average animes, but not on Baccano's level for sure at least as far as I have read and watched. I haven't read the manga, but it doesn't seem like it's getting any good feedback either. There is only one way to find out I guess.

I am not sure if you rate animes and manga purely by enjoyment, but it seems you just rate things without actually being objective at all. I was a bit unsure and seeing how you rate the different shows and manga I think it's outrageous to even compare this anime/manga to Oshi no Ko or generally many of the good series from this season

Sorry if I may seem a bit too mean, but that's not the intention I have.
Apr 12, 2023 9:46 PM
Oct 2020
Uhm, bungou stray dogs and Dr. Stone
Apr 12, 2023 11:25 PM
Oct 2015
CrunchyCrobat said:
I might need to reword this, i mean NEW adaptation not ongoing.

otherwise i would have considered vinland saga.

also Dr.stone have fallen off alot the second season didn't do even half as good as the first, as much as I love the premise.
bungou was inspired by durarara in a lot of senses even admitted by the mangaka so there are a lot of similarities between that and this in both storytelling and style so it would depend.

Apr 13, 2023 12:15 AM
Oct 2020
Neostorm-X said:
CrunchyCrobat said:

also Dr.stone have fallen off alot the second season didn't do even half as good as the first, as much as I love the premise.
bungou was inspired by durarara in a lot of senses even admitted by the mangaka so there are a lot of similarities between that and this in both storytelling and style so it would depend.

Oh OK, but still, even if Dr. Stone season 2 is lower rated than the first it's still pretty high, and ryuseii just did even better, and season 3 doesn't seem like it would do any worse, also even if something is inspired by other thing doesn't mean you can't accept as a great anime, bungou stray dogs' character and storytelling is better than most stuff these stuff, but since we are talking about only new stuff, I can name another one, hikari no ou, while it's not high budget like others, its animation is still pretty good and the story and world building are just out of the world
Apr 13, 2023 11:48 AM
Oct 2015
CrunchyCrobat said:
Neostorm-X said:

Oh OK, but still, even if Dr. Stone season 2 is lower rated than the first it's still pretty high, and ryuseii just did even better, and season 3 doesn't seem like it would do any worse, also even if something is inspired by other thing doesn't mean you can't accept as a great anime, bungou stray dogs' character and storytelling is better than most stuff these stuff, but since we are talking about only new stuff, I can name another one, hikari no ou, while it's not high budget like others, its animation is still pretty good and the story and world building are just out of the world
Ok i actually completely over looked hikari no ou, it looks pretty good, i have no idea why the rating is so long though. And i forgot to edit i meant NEW ADAPTATIONS not ongoing.

But likewise from the looks of it, the witch and the beast just does the same aesthetic much better and from the reviews it seems the story isnt that good, but i am going to watch it today so perhaps i will change my mind,

Im still inclined to thin pluto is probably going to be the best anime of the past 5 years if it gets a good adaptation, the manga is one of the all time greats. I thought pluto was going to be delayed to 2024 which is why i didnt notice . 
Apr 13, 2023 1:36 PM
Oct 2015
Neostorm-X said:
CrunchyCrobat said:

Ok i actually completely over looked hikari no ou, it looks pretty good, i have no idea why the rating is so long though. And i forgot to edit i meant NEW ADAPTATIONS not ongoing.

But likewise from the looks of it, the witch and the beast just does the same aesthetic much better and from the reviews it seems the story isnt that good, but i am going to watch it today so perhaps i will change my mind,

Im still inclined to thin pluto is probably going to be the best anime of the past 5 years if it gets a good adaptation, the manga is one of the all time greats. I thought pluto was going to be delayed to 2024 which is why i didnt notice . 
Ok wtf i watched 7 episodes and im appalled at how low the rating is, like wtf, the fire hunter should definitely be rated as high as mushinshi and shinsekai yori, the animation isnt even bad, most effort went into the backgrounds 
Apr 16, 2023 8:54 AM
Mar 2021
Neostorm-X said:
PrasadRT said:
i've read all of them, and yes this is much better. those you mentioned don't hold a candle 

it had a very strong start but the author didn't know where to take it. it could have been interesting like dungion meshi where senshi the old veteran helped a few guy with their own adventures. however freren's companions have literally no dynamic they are extremely boring and one note, and freren herself doesn't work as a character in a vaccum, the whole "OMG IM SO SAD MY COMPANIONS PASSED AWAY DUE TO ME LONG LIFE AS AN ELF" gets super fucking old since the author doesn't do anything interesting with it, slice of life doesn't mean you can just rehash things over and over.

Oshi no Ko is decent, however I dislike how the manga completely forgot the original focus of finding the killer and focuses too much on the drama, instead of basicly being a murder mystery thriller of infiltrating the upper ranks of the entertainment industry, not saying its bad (actually replacing act age as my go to acting manga now that it has canceled)

and  Jigokuraku was really sad because I loved the first few chapters of introduciton them going to the island etc the backstories of everyone etc.
however it soon devolved from a mystery horror thriller of going to a mysterious island, and became a stupid battlemanga.
a peer once said this to me "I absolutely despied the fact that eventually devolved to the point where fights became "NOOO you can't beat him you are the WRONG ELEMENT REEE" "WOW your element is stronger you are unbeatable" like WTF use strategy what happened to the first few chapters where they actually had interesting dynamics"
basically it went to shit, its like naruto shippuden vs the original, the power escalation and eventually fights became boring and badly designed it was more like dragon ball z rather than being unique fights that involve actual techniques as a shinobi etc.

in their defense, this is ryogho Narita we are talking about. it's unfair to the opponent writers
Apr 16, 2023 11:08 PM
Oct 2015
TanakaTarou24 said:
Neostorm-X said:

in their defense, this is ryogho Narita we are talking about. it's unfair to the opponent writers
too bad so many people judge books by its cover,
both oshi no ko and freiren have amazing covers, they have an amazing first arc and prologue, however the story starts suffering heavyly as it goes on,

I am still adamant that freiren should have been a oneshot like good bye eri or something like takapis original sin like a short series.
the author clearly had the issue where they tried to think of something creative in order to get serialized,

however the nature of lots of magazines is that you can't plan anything out since there is a very high risk of cancelation so everything is very disjointed, only very established authors can risk long term planning like oda(since jump isn't  gonna ever axe one piece due to a sudden drop in reader surveys) 
narita is a full fledge author, so he usually plans out most of his stories, he isn't planing as he writes unlike most mangaka this could have met with issues like in stealth symphony where he tried a massive story but was forced to change it after it got axed.

however this is the benefit of being serialized in a less popular magazine like Young Gangan, unlike shounen jump, its less competitive, and they are less likely to axe your manga, allowing narita to plan far far ahead.
this is also the case with stuff like dungeon meshi(which clearly would have been axed long ago if it was serialized in jump) even attack on titan would have been axed in jump which is why the author moved to kodansha.
Apr 16, 2023 11:11 PM
Mar 2021
Neostorm-X said:
TanakaTarou24 said:

both oshi no ko and freiren have amazing covers, they have an amazing first arc and prologue, however the story starts suffering heavyly as it goes on,

I am still adamant that freiren should have been a oneshot like good bye eri or something like takapis original sin like a short series.
the author clearly had the issue where they tried to think of something creative in order to get serialized,

however the nature of lots of magazines is that you can't plan anything out since there is a very high risk of cancelation so everything is very disjointed, only very established authors can risk long term planning like oda(since jump isn't  gonna ever axe one piece due to a sudden drop in reader surveys) 
narita is a full fledge author, so he usually plans out most of his stories, he isn't planing as he writes unlike most mangaka this could have met with issues like in stealth symphony where he tried a massive story but was forced to change it after it got axed.

however this is the benefit of being serialized in a less popular magazine like Young Gangan, unlike shounen jump, its less competitive, and they are less likely to axe your manga, allowing narita to plan far far ahead.
this is also the case with stuff like dungeon meshi(which clearly would have been axed long ago if it was serialized in jump) even attack on titan would have been axed in jump which is why the author moved to kodansha.

agreed that oshi no ko should've been a one shot like takopi no genzai or Sayonara Eri. It would've been perfect that way. Instead he thought of prolonging it
Apr 16, 2023 11:23 PM
Oct 2015
TanakaTarou24 said:
Neostorm-X said:

agreed that oshi no ko should've been a one shot like takopi no genzai or Sayonara Eri. It would've been perfect that way.  Instead he thought of prolonging it
yeah, it disappoints me that people are already touting it as anime of the year when we haven't even seen pluto(which is one of the all time greats)
I do very much like the idea to put 4 episodes into one as a movie etc. 
its like if the berserk anime put the entirety of the golden age arc flashback at the start in a movie. or if the claymore anime put the terressa arc at the very start as a movie before switching to clares perspective. 
actually bungo stray dogs did this with the second season if i remember, the guy who could stop time or something?

don't get me wrong oshi no ko and freiren had an amazing start, the first few chapters are very good. but IT feels like it ran for way to long and lost its original purpose.
Apr 17, 2023 11:10 AM
Dec 2019
The studio alone is reason enough that this won't be the best this year. It already showed with some of the janky animations in episode 2. At least the story got better, episode 1 was pure edge, 2 established some context. The characters are still FAR from being as great as in Baccano or Durarara, but I will give it a bit more time for that.
SylverthasApr 17, 2023 11:26 AM
Apr 17, 2023 11:50 AM

Oct 2019
I'm gonna watch this dubbed later, but that is high praise considering how even so far we have had vinland season 2, oshi no ko and heavenly delusions. 
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 18, 2023 12:58 AM

Aug 2020
Wouldn't call best but it's very much a contender for it.
Apr 18, 2023 12:59 AM

Aug 2020
Sylverthas said:
The studio alone is reason enough that this won't be the best this year. It already showed with some of the janky animations in episode 2. At least the story got better, episode 1 was pure edge, 2 established some context. The characters are still FAR from being as great as in Baccano or Durarara, but I will give it a bit more time for that.

Tbh drrr and baccano too took halfway to make character great and pretty sure it's gonna happen same in this show by the end of this first part of this season.
Apr 18, 2023 7:06 AM

Feb 2021
I also hope that it will be very good! And 24 episodes means that they plan to adapt ALL the published manga chapters too! It is great!
Apr 18, 2023 6:24 PM

Mar 2021
the adaptation is solid but sadly the source material isn't very popular so most seasonal watchers are not going be aware of it.
Apr 20, 2023 4:25 AM
Jan 2012
The thing is, with Dead Mount Death Play, is that it's an extremely misleading title.

The closest and most accurate description of what it actually is would be "What if Durarara and Baccano fused and added more battle and more fantastical elements", and the first arc really starts as your run-of-the-mill isekai with a twist so nothing really that interesting.

This title needs a bit of actual investment to understand its qualities and the crazy world Narita created, even if on a technical level the anime is pretty average.

(I want to see Solitaire animated, that guy is my favorite character of the series. Overall the Troublemakers as they call them really wouldn't be out of place in Baccano)
Apr 20, 2023 2:53 PM
May 2015
The anime had a unique artstyle that caught my attention and led me to binge the manga.

It's a fairly interesting story, but IMO it feels like it has too many characters and they tend to lead the story in various directions before getting down to the main narrative. I assume the anime will trim and cut out some story points to keep things straight enough for the season. 
Apr 20, 2023 5:36 PM
Dec 2021
Haneken2086 said:
The anime had a unique artstyle that caught my attention and led me to binge the manga.

It's a fairly interesting story, but IMO it feels like it has too many characters and they tend to lead the story in various directions before getting down to the main narrative. I assume the anime will trim and cut out some story points to keep things straight enough for the season. 
if you ever read durarara or baccano! you can see why there so many characters because it is Ryohgo Narita way of storytelling who is author of Dead Mount Death Play manga and when he used many characters in durarara it felt amazing because it was really amazing to see how he used so many characters to create a really good story by connecting each character to the main plot also if you never watched durarara or baccano, I recommend watching the anime cause they are perfectly adapted but baccano doesn't have a full light novel adaptation for the anime while durarara has
Apr 20, 2023 5:47 PM

Aug 2020
Glad you are excited for this TC. Ive gone through the manga myself, and while not the biggest fan, I found it fairly decent 👍.
Keep scrolling
Apr 21, 2023 2:06 AM

Apr 2018
Idk, So far The production value is way too low for me to consider it as one of the best new anime adaptation this year. I read the manga and I think the manga is good but I don't think the manga's writing would be good enough to carry this anime.
Apr 21, 2023 6:32 AM

Dec 2015
best new anime adaptation of the year hahahahaahhahah
Apr 21, 2023 6:35 AM

Dec 2015
Neostorm-X said:

the only other anime that might rival the quality that is getting adapted this year is probably "the witch and the best" or “tengoku damayo”

EDIT: AFTER SEEING the pluto adaptation and the trailers thats probably going to beat this as anime of the year. 

Zccdcccc said:
The thing is, with Dead Mount Death Play, is that it's an extremely misleading title.

The closest and most accurate description of what it actually is would be "What if Durarara and Baccano fused and added more battle and more fantastical elements", and the first arc really starts as your run-of-the-mill isekai with a twist so nothing really that interesting.

This title needs a bit of actual investment to understand its qualities and the crazy world Narita created, even if on a technical level the anime is pretty average.

(I want to see Solitaire animated, that guy is my favorite character of the series. Overall the Troublemakers as they call them really wouldn't be out of place in Baccano)

2 episodes and neither a single moment like DRR or Baccano, just more like a average otaco generic "villian(but good) protagonist' anime.
Apr 21, 2023 12:01 PM
Jan 2012
NogueraB said:
Neostorm-X said:

Zccdcccc said:

2 episodes and neither a single moment like DRR or Baccano, just more like a average otaco generic "villian(but good) protagonist' anime.

I said it's an extremely misleading title.
Give it a few episodes. You'll see Ryogo Narita's usual quirks appearing at some point (and they'll stay)
I won't say that you'll like the title or not, but every person who actually tried to invest some time in this title said that it's indeed a Narita title, with focus that keep switching between a different set of characters, an huge cast, and absolutely nuts characters. (The Troublemakers would be pretty similar to Baccano's Rail Tracer in terms of pure whackyness and craziness)
Apr 22, 2023 9:52 PM
Oct 2015
Zccdcccc said:
NogueraB said:

Give it a few episodes. You'll see Ryogo Narita's usual quirks appearing at some point (and they'll stay)
I won't say that you'll like the title or not, but every person who actually tried to invest some time in this title said that it's indeed a Narita title, with focus that keep switching between a different set of characters, an huge cast, and absolutely nuts characters. (The Troublemakers would be pretty similar to Baccano's Rail Tracer in terms of pure whackyness and craziness)
yeah its only 2 fucking episodes.
the series is a slow burn, and it looks like the anime is not doing the same route as durarara they didn't even have a title cut sequence with all the names( im disapointed) it seems they are slowing things down a bit, which is gonna get lots of people to drop it but i get thats that. no patience these days

Apr 23, 2023 10:11 AM
Jan 2012
Neostorm-X said:
Zccdcccc said:

yeah its only 2 fucking episodes.
the series is a slow burn, and it looks like the anime is not doing the same route as durarara they didn't even have a title cut sequence with all the names( im disapointed) it seems they are slowing things down a bit, which is gonna get lots of people to drop it but i get thats that. no patience these days

Tbh the number of characters is still fairly limited for the first three arcs, we're pretty far from the currently 30+ regular characters, so i'm not that surprised, even though the opening is a bit disappointing on that point yeah.
It's edgy but it lacks whackiness.
May 29, 2023 1:47 PM
Jul 2014
Seeing the anime now, it's definitely not great lmao

It's very bad in terms of writing, non sense and power fantasy

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dead Mount Death Play Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2023

176 by fenderis »»
Sep 9, 4:44 AM

Poll: » Dead Mount Death Play Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2023

49 by Yabasawa »»
Aug 27, 6:35 PM

Poll: » Dead Mount Death Play Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2023

90 by Shadoweminence-8 »»
Aug 21, 9:57 AM

Poll: » Dead Mount Death Play Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2023

105 by BlueSnow93 »»
Jun 19, 6:57 PM

Poll: » Dead Mount Death Play Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2023

54 by kejora »»
Apr 30, 3:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.