Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
May 30, 2022 5:50 PM

Oct 2012
Been wanting to buy the complete blu ray set for this series but been hearing a lot of negative things about the release. Is there any other blu ray sets that non regional because all I have been seeing is the good ones need a regional player. Any possibility that they will release a new set?
May 30, 2022 7:29 PM
Aug 2021
Linking to a reddit comment I made about SAC blurays 8 months ago. It explains all of the problems with each English friendly physical release. There hasn't been a new English friendly release that would make it inaccurate.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ghost_in_the_Shell/comments/pylmni/can_anyone_recommend_a_platform_to_buy_gits_sac/hevct3y?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share&context=3
JohneyBoy100May 31, 2022 6:13 AM
May 30, 2022 7:46 PM

Sep 2018
As physical media declined, Anchor Bay seemed to have little interest in releasing their anime catalogue titles, or even licensing them out to anybody else. I think the previous set was only released to cash in on the live action Hollywood movie, so they won't have that kind of motivation again. I guess you can hope there's a change in management and they become open to letting someone else license their catalogue titles for release. But, I think to that's a longshot.
May 31, 2022 11:36 AM
Aug 2021
I actually had no idea about the issues, and didn't really notice them when I watched through my copy of SAC for the first time. I am usually oblivious to these sort of things honestly. I also watched it dubbed so maybe that had something to do with it?
May 31, 2022 12:34 PM

Dec 2011
i remember buying the original bluray release from japan many years ago, had the dub and everything. Was that considered one of the poor versions?
May 31, 2022 1:17 PM
Aug 2021
fireboomerjr said:
I actually had no idea about the issues, and didn't really notice them when I watched through my copy of SAC for the first time. I am usually oblivious to these sort of things honestly. I also watched it dubbed so maybe that had something to do with it?

A lot of people may not notice the frame rate not being correct with the 3D parts in SAC. Just one of those things you either notice or you don't kinda things.
And I've heard it can be easy to miss when the dub track accidentally plays the Japanese audio. One of the examples literally only occurs specifically in the left surround channel supposedly so it's not too surprising you wouldn't have notice them.
May 31, 2022 1:24 PM
Aug 2021
The_Steward said:
i remember buying the original bluray release from japan many years ago, had the dub and everything. Was that considered one of the poor versions?

The Japanese blurays are great video quality in 1080i as they should be.
The problems with them are for the dub audio they're not lossless quality. Very possible most people won't notice that.
And to my knowledge, while is does have that dub track, it doesn't have English subtitles for watching in Japanese. Unless you have/had a version that I've never heard about, the only subtitles on it should have been Japanese.
The Korean versions looked very similar and were believed to be the Japanese version, but also included English subtitles.
JohneyBoy100May 31, 2022 1:51 PM
May 31, 2022 4:29 PM
Aug 2021
JohneyBoy100 said:
fireboomerjr said:

A lot of people may not notice the frame rate not being correct with the 3D parts in SAC. Just one of those things you either notice or you don't kinda things.
And I've heard it can be easy to miss when the dub track accidentally plays the Japanese audio. One of the examples literally only occurs specifically in the left surround channel supposedly so it's not too surprising you wouldn't have notice them.

Alright, that makes sense. It's not that the sets are bad (for dubs anyway) persay, it's more that they could be better. Sort of like the Cowboy Bebop situation, with how every release since 2003, has been the inferior Remix version. It's not that it's a bad version, is just that it could be better.
May 31, 2022 4:52 PM
Aug 2021
fireboomerjr said:
JohneyBoy100 said:

Alright, that makes sense. It's not that the sets are bad (for dubs anyway) persay, it's more that they could be better. Sort of like the Cowboy Bebop situation, with how every release since 2003, has been the inferior Remix version. It's not that it's a bad version, is just that it could be better.

That's gonna depend on the individual. Example: I personally would say the US release is bad. The frame rate of the 3D elements is noticable, but doesn't bother me really.
Dubtitles however (I watch sub typically), is pretty unexceptable to me.
The audio switching to Japanese on the dub track is also unexceptable and very noticable for me.
This makes the release just extremely lazy. To mess up every aspect of it in some way only occurs because they didn't care.
There are other things that are lacking such as no chapter breaks in the episodes (not something I care about tho), and no extras which did exist on the DVD releases before (again not something that bothers me personally).
It was just an extremely lazy release and as such I would say is bad.
Does that mean you can't enjoy it? Of course not. It still has an avg of 4.8 stars on Amazon. Tons of people enjoy it (SAC is just THAT good tho).
Edit: it's also on sale all the time for SUPER cheap. Rn it's 13 bucks. When you pay that much for it it gets a lot better lol.
JohneyBoy100May 31, 2022 4:55 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

158 by Magicmist »»
Sep 23, 3:53 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

89 by Magicmist »»
Sep 22, 10:51 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

114 by Magicmist »»
Sep 21, 8:26 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

51 by Magicmist »»
Sep 21, 7:25 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 12, 2008

78 by Magicmist »»
Sep 19, 12:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.