Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 19, 2010 1:16 PM

Oct 2008
I motion for a move to include Robotech into MAL and Creating a profile for Carl Macek with Robotech acredited to him. Is anyone with me?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 19, 2010 3:36 PM

Apr 2008
No. But allow me to explain (for the 1000th time).

The issue has been discussed before (A LOT) and I think that MAL even included Robotech before if I'm not mistaken (I'm pretty forgetful on issues that don't matter to me).

To put it simple. The database only adds JAPANESE anime. This should be enough of an argument but I'll add the following.

Robotech, the series, was just a joint of three original series put together with a lot of cuts and an entirely original script so that the three series could link between themas you may already know.

This american mix of Japanese animated video footage with original american texts was done with American TV airing purposes in mind, so if we ignore the fact that it was a american production with a lot of cuts of three japanese series, we also have the fact that it was an american production for american market. With that in mind we'd also have to add series like Voltron and plenty of other american cut versions with different scripts top the database.
From then we'd have to add all the home versions each country had in it's time.

That sounds like an awful mess to me.

Regarding Carl Macek. RIP to him. I don't condemn his work and I think that what he did was positive to the US MARKET (remember, the US market is not the equivalent to the rest of the world, no mater how strong the market may be) and to some countries that got those productions sold. Without him thousands of people from the US wouldn't even know about Macross.
So Robotech can be seen as a positive "transition" series to the real deal for that.
Apr 19, 2010 5:22 PM

Oct 2008
There are seperate entries for the original japanese and U.S. Releases of Dragonball Z. And there were enough changes from macross to consider the macross saga of robotech a different story.
Apr 20, 2010 1:12 AM

Apr 2008
RobdeFR said:
No.The database only adds JAPANESE anime.

Bullshit. This database register Korean manhwa, so skip that part where it's only japanese way of drawing, and for the record: Robotech once existed on this page. But was deleted for some reason which I won't argue since I don't really care.

Apr 20, 2010 8:44 PM

May 2008
Hakazu said:
RobdeFR said:
No.The database only adds JAPANESE anime.

Bullshit. This database register Korean manhwa, so skip that part where it's only japanese way of drawing, and for the record: Robotech once existed on this page. But was deleted for some reason which I won't argue since I don't really care.
If it helps you feel any better, I defended Robotech with shitloads of explanations 'till they got rude and banned it anyways. :/
Apr 25, 2010 5:44 AM
Jul 2009
RobdeFR said:
To put it simple. The database only adds JAPANESE anime. This should be enough of an argument but I'll add the following.

Batman: Gotham Knight is a joint Japanese-American project and it has a profile on here :/
May 5, 2010 2:39 PM

Apr 2008
Somehow you just didn't understood or didn't want to understand what the main explanation on my post was.

Maybe I should have posted that "The database SHOULD only add JAPANESE anime" instead.

I don't have a clue about what mods do or what do they intend to do, I don't care. They announced that they were going to erase all the stuff that wasn't fully Japanse if I remember correctly, now the fact is that they ended not erasing half of what they intended and there's a lot of inconsistencies in their actions.
To speak bluntly I don't care, I don't use MAL for witch-hunt purposes and if a title is in or if it's not, it don't means anything to me.

Now if you ASK ME what 's my opinion, I'll give it to you. Now don't stop at the first sentences of my post and go and make sure to read the whole thing this time.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Favorite Songs from all Macross Series ( 1 2 )

hououji_fuu - Oct 8, 2007

57 by Darth_Twin »»
Jul 16, 2019 1:28 AM

Poll: » Macross Vs. Gundam

Dodecahedron-O24 - Oct 30, 2015

4 by Farabeuf »»
Jan 23, 2017 12:45 PM

» Macross series watched

Dodecahedron-O24 - Jul 3, 2010

17 by -Ayu »»
Dec 3, 2016 6:00 AM

» The Macross Anime Challenge

Dodecahedron-O24 - Mar 24, 2016

6 by Lohengrin234 »»
May 19, 2016 4:59 PM

» Will We Ever....?

Dodecahedron-O24 - Oct 30, 2015

2 by Dodecahedron-O24 »»
Nov 9, 2015 7:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.