Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 29, 2020 8:59 PM

Jan 2020
During your time on MAL, I'm certain that you've seen threads that got locked without sufficient explanation while there are controversial threads that remain open. What do you think about this questionable behavior of the mods?

TallonKarrde23 said:
The biggest issue I've run into is that they're very dishonest. I asked a moderator to fix the title of a thread as it broke the rules for the board it was on by not following a very stupid strict guideline - and they were fine with it, told me they fixed it and that USUALLY the thread would be locked because of both the title and the way the discussion went; however he was leaving it unlocked due to the quality of that discussion and that he felt it was best left open so the conversation could continue.

2 minutes later the same moderator had locked the thread.

Slawadia said:
I've noticed thread locks can be very biased, often a matter of individual mods' personal opinion on the subject/topic. Leaving open certain threads when rules explicitly state that such threads are against forum rules. Or locking threads with ongoing discussion unnecessarily, often stating it was to minimize shitposting or attacks between users. Can't tell if they're just being lazy, choosing to lock threads rather than warn/ban a couple of bad actors, or if they have their own personal agendas.
But I voted average. It could be worse.

deg said:
too much lock threads even though they follow the rules like that recent thread of mine about population decline in China and India on Current Events

but ah well what can you do Selective Enforcement is always has been a thing even in real life anyway

also at least right now they allow controversial topics to make at least 2-3 pages of replies before they lock it down though
"You misunderstood from the very beginning. You just believed what you wanted to believe."
Rei Ayanami
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Dec 29, 2020 9:06 PM

Jan 2020
149597871 said:
I don't have huge issues with it as long as the staff doesn't show political/ideological bias. The way they apply the rules is quite confusing sometimes, especially when it comes to "biased/unreputable" sources. It's supposed to be against the new rules, yet some threads seem to remain unaffected, and even if you try to report them your report will either be ignored or rejected with the claim that biased sources are perfectly fine. Today, however, @deg's thread got locked for citing The Guardian and that was kinda weird. It's an awful source, sure, but it's still more reliable than sources such as CNN and nobody is going to lock a thread for having CNN as the main source. I think they should just create a list of sources that are allowed to avoid unnecessary confusion since apparently, mediabias stats don't mean anything.

It's obvious that absolute freedom of expression/speech has never been a thing on these forums and that the problem is only going to get worse unless somebody somehow manages to force private companies to respect people's freedom. (don't get me wrong though, I still don't think that stuff such as doxxing, death threats, or inciting violence should be allowed)

NextUniverse said:
Logically speaking locking a thread because it may seem like it can cause trouble isn't the best idea, if said person has followed all the rules then I can't see why a thread should be locked even if there are extremes.

also, why be a forum mod? be a news mod or social media mod. or maybe either DB mods if it is chill there.

Scordolo said:
Yeah even if we have peaceful arguments without hurting or killing others opinion the mods lock the thread.
Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. This includes, but is not limited to:
a. picture collecting
b. random "xx vs. yy" (e.g. random anime/manga/character xx vs. random anime/manga/character yy)
c. gossiping about individuals (e.g. youtubers, channels/videos, MAL members, other sites' users, etc.)
I find this rule stupid to be honest.If we are having a meaningful argument without any toxicity why delete it?

"You misunderstood from the very beginning. You just believed what you wanted to believe."
Rei Ayanami
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Moderator in focus: dipItFoo

vuxk - Dec 29, 2020

3 by vuxk »»
Dec 30, 2020 1:00 AM

» Is the 30 characters limit rule stupid?

vuxk - Dec 29, 2020

1 by Fario-P »»
Dec 29, 2020 9:45 PM

» Rate the moderators

vuxk - Dec 29, 2020

0 by vuxk »»
Dec 29, 2020 8:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.