Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Question regarding Legend of the Galactic Heroes - is it possible to start at a later point of the story?

New
Aug 19, 2020 3:56 AM

Mar 2018
I thought about watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes since it is pretty much one of the few animes where everybody seems to agree on that it is brilliant but it looks like this has spawned so many sequels and the original show is already over a hundred episodes long, which is really too much for me. Is it possible to simply jump the queue and start with Die Neue These, which is available at Netflix, the rest isn't. If not, I will simply leave it by the wayside.
Aug 19, 2020 3:59 AM

Aug 2019
Die Neue These is a remake of the original series, 24 ep is pretty much first 26 ep of original series with some stuff related to supporting characters skipped
Aug 19, 2020 4:16 AM

Apr 2017
Thread moved into the correct board.

And on topic yes, it's possible to start with Die Neue These as it's a standalone adaptation that starts from the beginning. I actually also watched first season of Neue These and just then the OG series. I think that Die Neue These actually adapts the first arc better too, in original the beginning is a bit of a mess and it only really gets good later. While I think they didn't have to cut some side stories in NT and I liked that about OG series overall I think they did a good job adapting it while fixing some of the issues original had in terms of pacing and explanation (I was confused at some points in the beginning of original series even after watching Die Neue These and knowing what will happen and how because the way they explain things there is a bit fuddled, but later it's not an issue anymore). Animation of space fights is much better too given newer technologies available and probably better budget. Early LoGH had pretty poor animation in original series.

But I would still recommend you to watch the original at some point. It's certainly worth it. But it's not a mistake to start with Neue These and it might not be even necessary to watch the original if you don't mind waiting for a long time until Neue These adapts the entire story. But personally I couldn't wait so long when I got into it and the old school feeling original has is quite charming in its own right :D
MrZawaAug 19, 2020 4:19 AM

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Aug 19, 2020 4:25 AM

Mar 2018
Thanks guys! In that case, I will start with Neue These and see how much I like it and will go from there.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

13 by ItachiDeltaForce »»
Jul 11, 2:00 PM

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.