Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 18, 2018 12:06 AM
Jul 2018
Especially episode 3 man. The original was amazing but this... This had so much more emotion and including their days in the cadet school made up for skipping out the fountain scene. You can really feel Reinhard's ambition coming across as the man who wants to conquer the universe. The original didn't have that level of acting and emotion to it. Also the remake added a deeper level to Kircheis' care for Annerose that was barely even hinted in the OVA.

I feel having this episode be the 3rd instead of the 4th like the original was also better. It feels good going from Reinhard to Yang then back to Reinhard again. Hopefully they keep the sequential order going for a bit.

So far this remake has been everything the OVA was and more. Glad they are doing it, allows new fans to come and experience that LotGH greatness. I wish we could get 100 episodes of this godlike quality but that would destroy Production I.G. lmao...

I hope the next episode gives us Yang and the 13th fleet. Really hoping they don't skip that part.

What do you guys think so far?
removed-userApr 18, 2018 12:10 AM
Apr 18, 2018 3:12 AM

Feb 2013
There are two ways stories can be written/adapted: details-first or drama-first.
In the most popular review of the original OVA, user santetjan writes this:

"And this show never, ever tries to evoke an emotional response. The whole series is based on having the viewer have an intellectual understanding of what happens, not an emotional one. There are, thus, no cheap tricks to elicit emotional response, nothing overly dramatic (barring a few strokes of bombast), and no characteristics that make a main protagonist or villain.
I can only applaud this, considering it a feat to produce such a good series without relying on drama. Legend of the Galactic Heroes is, in this sense, the absolute antithesis of my other personal favourite, Le Portrait de Petit Cossette, appealing to the rational side of the viewer, even when the protagonists act with all their vaunted 'foppery and whim'."

From the first three episodes I think the new series is taking the drama-first approach more. As you described, it feels to you like it elicits much more emotion. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. I am enjoying it so far. I especially like some of the little details like how ships repair themselves and such they spring in-between scenes.

If you played Mass Effect games, its the same thing. ME 1 was the details- first story with emphasis on world-building and atmosphere over drama and action while ME 2 was much more action-oriented and bombastic.

As someone who prefers what santetjan described, I definitely prefer the OVA but Iam also enjoying the new series so far.
Apr 18, 2018 3:26 AM
Jul 2018
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:
There are two ways stories can be written/adapted: details-first or drama-first.
In the most popular review of the original OVA, user santetjan writes this:

"And this show never, ever tries to evoke an emotional response. The whole series is based on having the viewer have an intellectual understanding of what happens, not an emotional one. There are, thus, no cheap tricks to elicit emotional response, nothing overly dramatic (barring a few strokes of bombast), and no characteristics that make a main protagonist or villain.
I can only applaud this, considering it a feat to produce such a good series without relying on drama. Legend of the Galactic Heroes is, in this sense, the absolute antithesis of my other personal favourite, Le Portrait de Petit Cossette, appealing to the rational side of the viewer, even when the protagonists act with all their vaunted 'foppery and whim'."

From the first three episodes I think the new series is taking the drama-first approach more. As you described, it feels to you like it elicits much more emotion. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. I am enjoying it so far. I especially like some of the little details like how ships repair themselves and such they spring in-between scenes.

If you played Mass Effect games, its the same thing. ME 1 was the details- first story with emphasis on world-building and atmosphere over drama and action while ME 2 was much more action-oriented and bombastic.

As someone who prefers what santetjan described, I definitely prefer the OVA but Iam also enjoying the new series so far.

Yep you are correct, I do prefer the emotional resonance within a story over the details and world-building approach which is kind of weird considering I like works such as Lord of the Rings and Dune. But I guess that's just my personal preference. I love the Mass Effect series too and Mass Effect 2 is one of my favourite games of all time. That was a great example there. I hope some of the OVA fans can open up to this series a bit more, it's better that this is taking a new approach without destroying what came before. I mean if it was just a carbon copy but looked better it wouldn't be as interesting.
Apr 20, 2018 3:27 AM

Aug 2012
I'm a huge fan of OVA, but still think that this remake is truly amazing. The only thing i dislike - character's design. But even so i'm getting wet just watching this. I hope they will do more series in the future.
Apr 21, 2018 7:56 AM

Mar 2009
so far they are more following the novels. ovas werent the original source, novels were and so far they are doing great job on adapting them. not even ova were faitful completely to the source

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

13 by ItachiDeltaForce »»
Jul 11, 2:00 PM

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.