Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 1, 2018 5:15 PM

Nov 2009
A new year a new season. The hardest Club Event continues with Winter 2018.

You can use this link to see the majority that is airing this season:

http://anichart.net/Winter-2018

Some questions to think about:

What shows seem notable to you?

What shows are you enjoying?

What shows are you going to continue watching?

What shows do you not think highly of?
Houseki No Kuni, aka The Land of the Lustrous. Best of 2017.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 4, 2018 9:43 AM
May 2017
I'm really looking forwards to Violet Evergarden, Itto Junji: Collection, and Poputepipikku! I only just started Nanatsu no Taizai season 1 the other day so idk if I'm gonna catch up in time to watch most of season 3 while it airs, but it seems really cool!
I have to say, I don't understand why Overlord II is so anticipated. I watched 4 episodes of season 1 and I really did not like it. The concept was cool, but I disliked all of the characters. I don't like the aesthetic, so maybe that influenced my opinion of the rest of the show? Needless to say I will not be watching season 2.

Hopefully we'll get some great anime this season!
Feb 1, 2018 4:54 PM

Nov 2009
What shows seem notable to you?

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni
Saiki Kusuo no Ψ Nan 2
Kokkoku
Mitsuboshi Colors
Killing Bites
Hakumei to Mikochi
Violet Evergarden
Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens
Sora yori mo Tooi Basho
Pop Team Epic
Overlord II
Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san
citrus
Nanatsu no Taizai: Imashime no Fukkatsu
Dame×Prince ANIME CARAVAN
Darling in the Franxx

What shows do you not think highly of?

Death March Kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku
Fate/EXTRA Last Encore
Beatless
Grancrest Senki
Ryuuou no Oshigoto!
Toji no Miko
Gakuen Babysitters
Miira no Kaikata
Sanrio Danshi
Gintama. Gin no Tamashii-hen
Hakyuu Houshin Engi

Special Notes:

-I'm not the biggest fan of romance anime. In fact. It's probably a genre I dislike, along with mecha. But from the first episode, the interesting female lead, has kept be looking forward to seeing more. I feel for her actions and root for her. The most important thing in a romance, is being able to like the characters, cause if you don't, then you can't really root for their relationships, and so far, this show has delivered on interesting leads.

Kokkoku
-Not really a horror, but this is the mind-bender of the season. A show that takes place entirely in a frozen moment of time. All the animation, and physics of the world reflect this. To drinks staying globbed in midair, to glass shattering not hitting the ground. Everything is so well animated for the still world, that the world itself feels as much as a character as the cast. There hasn't been much on the main story, but it's an interesting watch, with a wonderful opening song.

Saiki Kusuo no Ψ Nan 2
-A great comedy about an all-powerful physic. I really enjoyed season 1, and so far this season is keeping the same quality of the previous. Recommended for the great jokes.

-I'm a big Gintama fan, and Gintama does both comedy and serious well. But so far, in trying to tie up the world to reach the grand finale of Gintama, a lot of the charm of the show feels...fake. Like someone trying to force it to end, and it feels horribly unnatural. There are a few goods jokes, but so far, it's not the same Gintama quality that we've come to know.

Darling in the Franxx
-The first episode was like a mix between Gurren Lagaan, Die Buster and Star Driver. The action was great and left me wanting to know more about this world. From the 2nd episode on, I've been growing more displeased with the direction of the show. Especially the stupid cockpit design, that amounts to boys piloting mechs with girls' asses. So far it's dealing a lot of incomprehensible conversations that waste time, and don't really develop the characters as much as it should. I'm hoping that the promise of the first episode, and the conflict with, you know, actual mecha fights, will come into play in the second half. Because despite it's strong first episode, it's losing steam very fast.

-Honestly, I knew this show wouldn't be good. It's basic premise and story aren't original in the slightest, and the MC is overpowered self-insert you've seen a million times. But I've been enjoying the manga despite this. It presented the MC as more of a stoic character that is trying to fake being someone respectable, while having the power to overcome anything with a few stat changes. But this adaptation of the material is clearly subpar. The VA they used for the MC is fine, but when it reverts to his "younger voice" You can clearly tell some audio engineer put his lines into a pitch changer, and pressed save. His voice grates on the ears because you can hear the bad audio job from whoever did it. As well as adapting the generic manga themes, the show in content on keeping everything generic as hell to a staggeringly high degree. I wanted this show to be decent, and I thought it wouldn't be all that special. But even then, this show has been a grand disappointment.

Current Thoughts:

The amount of shows I like, to the ones I don't, is a good ratio so far. There are entries for most genres, and a little something for everyone. No one show has been a super stand-out yet, but there's a lot of interesting shows airing, and a lot I'm looking forward to continuing.
Apr 11, 2018 8:46 PM

Nov 2009
Shows I enjoyed all the way through:

Killing Bites
Overlord II
Hakumei to Mikochi
Mitsuboshi Colors
Dame×Prince ANIME CARAVAN
Pop Team Epic
Fate/EXTRA Last Encore
Kokkoku
Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens
Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san
Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san
Slow Start
Sora yori mo Tooi Basho
Violet Evergarden

Shows that disappointed me:

Basilisk: Ouka Ninpouchou
Beatless
Gakuen Babysitters
Grancrest Senki
Hakyuu Houshin Engi
Toji no Miko

Special notes:

Killing Bites
-The show I had the most fun with this season. It was fast paced, brutal and fanservicey. It took pride in what it was, and I think that really helped with my enjoyment of it, and I hope it gets a second season.

Violet Evergarden
-This show is great when it focuses on the titular character. But sadly, almost half the run time focuses on 1-episode arcs of side characters. I understand it's to help Violet build as a character, but it really took down my enjoyment. Violet herself is a great character and so is her story arc, which I think is ruined at times with those side arcs.

-I really liked this romance at the beginning, but as it went on, and starts to wear down it's premise. It kind of just peters out of interest.

Kokkoku
-A show with a very interesting time stop premise, and excellent animation in regards to objects frozen in time. It's a wonderfully visual piece. The story however, starts strong, but eventually just folds in on itself. Still an interesting watch, but a letdown in the 2nd half.

-I really enjoyed the manga. I knew it was generic seikai filth, but the manga did a good enough job to keep it interesting. The anime however, makes many horrible decisions. Such as making the voice actor's lines higher pitched through audio editing, then actual voice acting. Which makes his "young" voice sound god awful.

Final Thoughts:

Not much to talk about really. There were no super standout shows, but it was a strong season for Slice of Life.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Club Event S18: Spring 2018

eighttailedfox - Apr 11, 2018

0 by eighttailedfox »»
Apr 11, 2018 8:48 PM

» Club Event 75: April 2018

eighttailedfox - Apr 4, 2018

0 by eighttailedfox »»
Apr 4, 2018 1:48 PM

» Club Event 74: March 2018

eighttailedfox - Mar 4, 2018

1 by eighttailedfox »»
Mar 31, 2018 10:53 PM

» Club Event 73: February 2018

eighttailedfox - Feb 2, 2018

2 by MonochromeSong »»
Feb 28, 2018 9:16 PM

» Club Event 72: January 2018

eighttailedfox - Jan 1, 2018

3 by Mikochondria »»
Feb 2, 2018 8:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.