Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Is it necessary to watch any of the Fate series anime to know what this will be about?

New
Nov 6, 2017 5:54 PM
Mar 2017
I haven't seen any of the Fate anime due to the fact that it just didn't catch my attention, but when i saw this, i actually got kinda interested in what it might be about. Is there anything i need to watch in the Fate series before i watch this?
Nov 6, 2017 6:29 PM
Jul 2018
Pretty sure you don't need to necessarily watch the other Fate franchise to understand Extra, as Extra as far as I'm aware its its own story, not really connected to other previous anime or source works.
Nov 7, 2017 2:54 AM

Oct 2014
No, you don't need to watch anything else before this.

Some characters from other Type-Moon works(or at least, alternative universe versions of those characters) make an appearance in this, but that's about it.

Edit: Watched ep 2. It would be better if you watched something else before this, it's not as newcomer friendly as I initially thought it would be.
It gives you an explanation of the setting, however, it's really fast and there are some details that were missed.
AdatiusFeb 6, 2018 4:32 AM
Nov 7, 2017 2:56 AM

Apr 2016
It doesn't matter, users here will only recommend you Fate/Zero regardless.
Nov 7, 2017 3:17 AM

Oct 2014
Swagernator said:
It doesn't matter, users here will only recommend you Fate/Zero regardless.

inb4 people expect this to be like Zero.
Nov 7, 2017 3:19 AM

Apr 2016
Shayon said:

People expect everything with "Fate" in the title to be like Zero.
Nov 7, 2017 4:49 AM

May 2012
You don't need but I recommend watching all fate series because they are good

Nov 7, 2017 3:15 PM

Apr 2017
thepath said:

Very much no. SN is pretty bad, Grand Order is awful, Kaleid Prysma as well.
Nov 7, 2017 3:33 PM

Jul 2015
Swagernator said:
Shayon said:

People expect everything with "Fate" in the title to be like Zero.

Sadly the opposite for me, I expect all the Fate entries to not be like Zero, so just garbage.
Nov 8, 2017 8:39 AM

Mar 2016
So, am I ok if I didn't watched fate apocrypha? Dropped that thing a long ago, and want to know if I have to resume and finish it in order to watch this.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Nov 8, 2017 9:14 AM

Oct 2014
el_morris said:
So, am I ok if I didn't watched fate apocrypha? Dropped that thing a long ago

Yes, you are ok.

Your message must contain 15 characters, excluding bbcode, quotes, images, and spaces. current character count: 13

Hmm...

Yes, you are okay.
Nov 8, 2017 10:23 AM
Jul 2018
Scalpelexis said:
thepath said:

The only one I consider "awful" would be Grand Order. Because its probably the weakest out of all entries of the franchise because it doesn't really delve a lot into things, and besides its kind of a gift for those that have already played it before.
Nov 8, 2017 4:21 PM

Apr 2017
Wasshio said:
Scalpelexis said:

The only one I consider "awful" would be Grand Order. Because its probably the weakest out of all entries of the franchise because it doesn't really delve a lot into things, and besides its kind of a gift for those that have already played it before.

I don't think we should be praising or worshiping projects which didn't work out. Zero stands tall about all of them and UBW I consider as a decent one. Yes, Grand Order is obviously the worst one, but even Apocrypha is not doing it's name any honor.
Nov 13, 2017 2:06 AM
May 2017
Grand Order wasn't that bad compared to the pile of garbage that is Apocarypha
Nov 24, 2017 4:54 PM

Dec 2015
Watching all the fate series just give you more knowledge of the fate world , so you dont need to watch all of it
Grand order and apocrypha are bad, FGO game is good though
I still think the other fate series are still good , even kaleid and the SN
Dec 26, 2017 8:54 AM
Mar 2017
I guess whenever they try to make the main caracter a hot guy....... the popularity drops(ex: apocrypha & Grand order)......LOL
Dec 27, 2017 6:14 AM

Aug 2010
People who keep saying that you don't need to watch anything before Extra obviously know nothing of what they're talking about.

All, and I mean ALL, Fate spinoffs assume you experienced all 3 routes of Fate/Stay Night. Extra, in particular, is chuck-full of F/SN references and callbacks on top of lore used from the main series.

So, yes, you NEED all of F/SN before watching Extra.
Dec 27, 2017 8:23 AM

Oct 2014
astroprogs said:
People who keep saying that you don't need to watch anything before Extra obviously know nothing of what they're talking about.

All, and I mean ALL, Fate spinoffs assume you experienced all 3 routes of Fate/Stay Night. Extra, in particular, is chuck-full of F/SN references and callbacks on top of lore used from the main series.

So, yes, you NEED all of F/SN before watching Extra.

It's not like the game was exclusively made for FSN fans. Yes, it has refrences and callbacks there but it should be fine watching it without those and understanding the main plot.

As for lore, it explains the bare minimum you need (Servants, Heroic spirits, Holy grail war), if I remember correctly the only thing it doesn't explain are mages and magic circuits but it's not like UBW did a great job of that anyway.

Also, unlike Apocrypha it doesn't rely on history from FSN and FZ either, Extra is very disconnected in that regard.
Dec 27, 2017 6:16 PM

Mar 2014
damn, i didnt think F/SN (ufotable) was THAT bad... i mean i did after the first season but s2 cleared some stuff up for me.
Jan 27, 2018 8:30 AM

Aug 2014
hello hi you should at least read extra and then CCC (precede reading extra by reading fsn and optionally fha, kara no kyoukai and tsukihime) and perhaps extella to fully understand and follow this animu

^not a joke btw, this is rather apparently much like the Grand Order OVAs, not meant for people without prior experience in the relevant series
InsertanamehereJan 27, 2018 8:52 AM
Jan 27, 2018 8:49 AM
Sep 2016
I'm gonna have to say yes...otherwise it's gonna be really confusing (then the haters will show up thinking it's the show's fault they don't get what's happening)
1.1.Six
Jan 27, 2018 8:51 AM

May 2015
JudoJD said:
I'm gonna have to say yes...otherwise it's gonna be really confusing (then the haters will show up thinking it's the show's fault they don't get what's happening)

How do I know for a fact that will happen? Oh right, it's MAL. xD

Jan 27, 2018 5:30 PM

Mar 2016
yea u need fate tsukihime, fate melty blood, fate kagetsu tohya, n fate mahoyo
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Jan 28, 2018 3:46 AM

Aug 2010
Aure0lin said:
yea u need fate tsukihime, fate melty blood, fate kagetsu tohya, n fate mahoyo

yeah... if you're a casual, that is. you need fate notes and fate tsuki no sango before everything, otherwise you're not gonna understand shit

fate stay night is just fanservice tho, that can safely be skipped
Jan 28, 2018 7:17 AM
Mar 2017
So I see a lot of people are now saying I SHOULD watch some Fate anime before this one, so does anyone have a definite of what I should watch so I can watch Fate/ELE
SubduedComet94Jan 28, 2018 7:21 AM
Jan 28, 2018 7:23 AM

Oct 2014
SubduedComet94 said:
So I see a lot of people are now saying I SHOULD watch some Fate anime before this one, so does anyone have a definite of what I should watch so I can watch Fate/ELE

Either UBW(which is a confusing mess on it's own anyway) or Fate/Zero.
Jan 28, 2018 7:26 AM
Jul 2016
As a fate fan I recommend you to watch everything play everything and read everything. As for this one it's your choice.
Jan 28, 2018 8:12 AM

Feb 2013
Who cares the franchise is shit
Jan 28, 2018 8:39 AM

Oct 2014
beamerboy said:
Who cares the franchise is shit

OP clearly does..
Jan 28, 2018 8:53 AM

Feb 2016
Scalpelexis said:
thepath said:

>Kaleid
>Stay Night
>Bad

K...
I am the bone of my sword.
My blood is Iron, and my heart is glass.
I have overcome countless battlefields.
Unaware of beginning,
Nor aware of the end.
The orphan is alone again, Striking diamond dust on a hill of swords.
Yet, my flame never ends.
My whole body was still "Unlimited Blade Works".

-Emiya Shirou
Jan 28, 2018 9:06 AM
Nov 2017
Wasshio said:
Scalpelexis said:

The special was weak, but the for Camelot chapter to the end is of part 1 is said to be one of the best work from Nasu and the most popular work that Type-Moon did.
Sadly they really did not put much effort in the two specials
Jan 28, 2018 12:25 PM

Mar 2016
Wasshio said:
Scalpelexis said:

no it's like u cant make a great anime with only the prologue of a 9 chapter story
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Jan 29, 2018 12:21 AM

Apr 2015
I keep reading that this is an alternate setting with alternate characters just with same designs so why should people have seen all the other fates to understand?
Jan 31, 2018 5:02 PM

Nov 2013
lol at whoever dislikes fate Kaleid, probably the best one =D (shame it doesn't have much Arturia, other than that saber alter thing)
and yes i have Astolfo as my pic, so i don't dislike Apocrypha either
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
Jan 31, 2018 5:22 PM
Jul 2014
Probably not but then again its kinda nice to say, hey [insert type moon character] showed up, other than that nah its not strictly Necessary

Also if you are interested in watching the Fate series i would suggest starting at Fate Zero its a prequel so to speak and work your way from there :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

120 by Remlz_77 »»
Aug 27, 12:14 AM

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2018

136 by Shidoteki »»
Jul 8, 9:53 AM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2018

210 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

221 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 6:10 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2018

63 by SomeDudeOverHere »»
Apr 12, 10:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.